Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Resolved: 50-200WR, backorder situation

I'm stuck in a surprisingly long backorder on my smc PENTAX DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR lens, which I ordered from Adorama a little over a month ago. It wasn't shown as out of stock when the order was placed, but over four weeks since I was first notified of the backorder, there's still no sign of it shipping. Most other retailers (including Pentax's own web store) seem to list that same lens as in stock for immediate shipping, though (and have done so every time I've checked over the last few weeks).

Hence, I'm curious... Has anybody else successfully ordered the WR variant of the DA 50-200 from Adorama, and if so how long did it take for your order to be filled, and when did you receive it?

Note that I'm still reasonably happy with Adorama overall, having received the rest of my order (K-7 body, 18-55 WR lens, BG4 grip, Remote F) promptly, and having been equally satisfied with previous purchases. I'm just getting a little concerned that this backorder has slipped through the cracks, as I only have a few weeks left before I absolutely have to have the lens in-hand for an overseas trip.

I guess I'm hoping somebody else's experiences will reassure me this isn't out of the ordinary, and I haven't too much more waiting left to go. ;-)

Last edited by knoxploration; 10-15-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Changing title to make it clear the backorder issue has ended
10-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have same situation with FA50 1.4 from end of August.
Still waiting....
According Adorama, they have no confirmed delivery date from Pentax.
10-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I have same situation with FA50 1.4 from end of August.
Still waiting....
According Adorama, they have no confirmed delivery date from Pentax.
Thanks for the info, even if it is rather disheartening. It looks like maybe the prudent decision would be to cancel the order and place it somewhere else, perhaps.

I'd rather not to to be honest - I prefer to keep my business in one place...
10-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If they are listing the lenses for immediate shipping, yet they are not available and no word when to expect this, I would cancel and order from another reputable
retailer, especially if you have a pending trip which you really want/need the lens.

That's my opinion and what I would do at least...

Jas

10-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
B&H has them in stock. I have noticed many retailers have had short falls on Pentax gear lately, well OK since July when I bought my K20D and actually began paying attention to such things. I bet it's just the new, leaner and meaner HoyaTax.

I have bought lots of gear from Adorama as well as B&H, Amazon, Beach, 47th Street (via eBay/Amazon ONLY with 47th St. or Abe's of Maine for me) and had great dealings with every one of them.

The sale at Adorama is not that great, only $20 less, if you have to wait 6-weeks (or more...or less though to be fair)...

Still I like Adorama and BH the best then Amazon simply because they are Amazon.

Hope ya get a copy soon...it's raining here today and I really wish I had a WR lens...I miss my 50-135mm....sniff...it never even got wet before it died...sniff...
10-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
If they are listing the lenses for immediate shipping, yet they are not available and no word when to expect this, I would cancel and order from another reputable
retailer, especially if you have a pending trip which you really want/need the lens.

That's my opinion and what I would do at least...

Jas
Hi Jas - to be fair to Adorama, from when they told me about the backorder situation, their site has listed the lens as backordered. It's a shame they didn't list it as backordered when the order was placed, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt on that.

What surprises me is that just about every other retailer seems to be able to get their hands on them without issue, if their stock status is to be believed.
10-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
The sale at Adorama is not that great, only $20 less, if you have to wait 6-weeks (or more...or less though to be fair)...
Actually, if I didn't have the trip coming I'd definitely stick with Adorama because the discount over B&H is pretty significant.

I'd pay $249.95 plus $8.45 shipping at B&H, versus the $229.95 with no tax and free shipping minus 11% Bing cashback which I paid at Adorama.

That's $258.40 from B&H, or $204.65 shipped from Adorama - nearly a 21% discount from B&H's price!

10-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Actually, if I didn't have the trip coming I'd definitely stick with Adorama because the discount over B&H is pretty significant.

I'd pay $249.95 plus $8.45 shipping at B&H, versus the $229.95 with no tax and free shipping minus 11% Bing cashback which I paid at Adorama.

That's $258.40 from B&H, or $204.65 shipped from Adorama - nearly a 21% discount from B&H's price!
I am sure that the price difference will be great when you come home from your trip and your lens is there.

Life sucks, sometimes you have to spend a bit extra due to circumstances...so you are saving 11% plus the sale price and still complain they are back-ordered? Every wonder WHY they are back-ordered? You left out the 11% on top of the sale price in favor of insinuating something might be wrong with Adorama.

Now it makes sense, rather than have the lens in hand for an, apparently, important trip you prefer to save the cash...I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to save...but which is most important, having the lens or the $50ish? I mean you seem to be going through a lot of teeth gnashing on your time restrictions...if it were me, I would pop for the extra simply so I could have it in hand...it's only $50. Many a time I would have loved to saved some money but because of time frame limitations had to spend a bit more, this seems like one of those times.
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am sure that the price difference will be great when you come home from your trip and your lens is there.
Yep, I acknowledged that. As I said at the very start of the thread, I'm deciding what to do. I actually have almost seven weeks until the trip, so with four weeks down, I simply wanted to get a feel for whether I'm likely to stay in backorder for many weeks or months more, or whether there's a fair chance the order will be fulfilled within a few more weeks (making it worth my while to wait and save some money towards one of the many other accessories I'd like to purchase for my camera).

Life sucks, sometimes you have to spend a bit extra due to circumstances...so you are saving 11% plus the sale price and still complain they are back-ordered? Every wonder WHY they are back-ordered? You left out the 11% on top of the sale price in favor of insinuating something might be wrong with Adorama.
I'm not sure where you got that I'm complaining or insinuating something is wrong. Note that right in my very first post, I said:
"Note that I'm still reasonably happy with Adorama overall..."
Also note that I went to pains to correct you by pointing out the value they were offering on the price, which I can't come close to matching elsewhere.

As for wondering why they're backordered, note that they weren't backordered when my order was placed. They changed the status on that one item to backordered several days afterwards, when they processed and shipped the rest of my order.

QuoteQuote:
Now it makes sense, rather than have the lens in hand for an, apparently, important trip you prefer to save the cash...I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to save...but which is most important, having the lens or the $50ish? I mean you seem to be going through a lot of teeth gnashing on your time restrictions...if it were me, I would pop for the extra simply so I could have it in hand...it's only $50. Many a time I would have loved to saved some money but because of time frame limitations had to spend a bit more, this seems like one of those times.
Yep, and it may well be. Like I said, I have seven weeks or so left to get the item - so what I'm trying to decide is whether I should keep waiting in the hopes of saving some money towards another purchase, or give up early and be able to shoot with the lens now, before the trip. Certainly if I've not received something within the next 3-4 weeks, I'll have no choice but to give up - but as I said right in my very first post, I like Adorama. I've got a good price there if I actually receive the item, and I've never had an issue or delayed order with them in the past.

Sorry if you read some malice in my post that wasn't there - it certainly wasn't my intention to suggest anything of the sort. I'm just a chap trying to get a feel for the waters before I make my decision how to proceed.
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

knoxploration:

Yeah, I sorta read it as a Adorama sucks because they won't give me my lens and I know they have them sorta rant...d'oh!! Sorry for reading that part into what ya wrote. But after reading so many similar comments over the years, it's easy to read into that here is someone who waited until the last minute, found a deal, something went wrong and is not looking to blame the other party in the deal.

With 7-weeks or so, as you say, you have time. There is an Adorama rep who frequents the boards around the web, and might have been here too, not sure. If I can find the person's email I'll PM you with it...she (I think it was a 'she' anyway) has been able to make magic happen a couple times for folks in your position.

I have been where you are before...you try and setup everything right and *poof* nothing gets punished harder than trying to to it right... I am sure someone will figure out an option...would not wait any longer than 2-weeks to go though. I would suggest setting up a rental just in case but it almost always is cheaper to buy-then-sell rather than rent. I know a number of friends who do that with higher end glass on a regular basis and they do end up saving.

And really, sorry if I came across as sort terse but some days are just like that I guess. I was just comments on what I read in(into) your comments...whoopsie!! Thanks for explaining it a bit more for a dunce like me...
10-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm glad I have no hurry with my FA50.
When I ordered it the price was still at $250 and now the average seems to be $100 more. When I add the customs + taxes it will be around $140 more, so I will just sit and wait...

I've been also happy with Adorama before and FA50 was with back order status when I ordered it, so no complaints!
10-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And really, sorry if I came across as sort terse but some days are just like that I guess. I was just comments on what I read in(into) your comments...whoopsie!! Thanks for explaining it a bit more for a dunce like me...
No harm done, and no offense taken - takes two to tango, and I'm sure my comment could've been phrased better in the first place! :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I'm glad I have no hurry with my FA50.
When I ordered it the price was still at $250 and now the average seems to be $100 more. When I add the customs + taxes it will be around $140 more, so I will just sit and wait...

I've been also happy with Adorama before and FA50 was with back order status when I ordered it, so no complaints!
Wish I was in the same situation of not having a finite deadline. It definitely complicates things... At the same time, I'd not been planning to buy the K7 until around now anyway, ended up jumping earlier because of the 11% Bing discount which made it worthwhile. Maybe I should wait another couple of weeks before I give up for sure...
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #13

With 7-weeks or so, as you say, you have time. There is an Adorama rep who frequents the boards around the web, and might have been here too, not sure. If I can find the person's email I'll PM you with it...she (I think it was a 'she' anyway) has been able to make magic happen a couple times for folks in your position.
Helen is who you are looking for. She was extremely helpful dealing and explaining the situation when the K-7 was released.
10-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
Helen is who you are looking for. She was extremely helpful dealing and explaining the situation when the K-7 was released.
YEAH....that's her....thanks!!

She has been great in helping lots of folks solve such probs here and other boards. knoxploration...look up to get Helen's contact info!! hehehehe...really she is great at helping! Especially when there is a time issue. Because your issue is a time critical, you know the vacation, it might be possible she can arrange stock from one of the stores sent rather than the mail order/online center. Hope it works out!!
10-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! I've dropped Helen a note, and have my fingers tightly crossed...