Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

Leica summicron 90/f2 converted or Carl Zeiss ZK 85/1.4??

Hello guys,

I'm just a newbie in the pentaxforums !! I've been shooting Nikon for about 3 ½ years before making the switch (can't resist those limited though )

Right now, I'm having a dilemma to choose between Leica Summicron 90 f2 (3-cam) or CZ Planar T* 85 1.4 (new version)
Lucky enough, I was offered both at almost the same price (~500 EUR)...
Leica comes with box and everything, plus a R->PK mount converter, while CZ is just a lens + caps...

I'm more on the Leica side now (can't resist the name... hahah), but if someone who has experienced with both lens can share some insight, I would be very grateful. So, here is the questions.

1. Do using converter creates some problems ? Has anyone experienced it so far ?
2. Which one is easier to manual-focus ? I heard from my friends that Leica is very smooth and the travel distance is good enough. However, the brighter VF from 1.4 should be easier ?
3. The aperture ring... I heard that Leica feel abit 'click-clack' compare to CZ, is that true ?

Unfortunately, I have no chance to test both lens before I buy, as Leica of my friend reside in Hong Kong and while CZ is with the other in Thailand. Oh, and I will be using it with K-7...

I do not mentioned about pictures quality, as I think that CZ gives better overall sharpness, greater contrast, but I like the sharp center, and blur corner of Leica though...

Thanks in advance for all your answer !~
TiTi - a Thai resides in France

ps. Already owned DA 70ltd, but my GF mostly have it with her always

10-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go with the Carl Zeiss hands down... renowned optical performance...f/1.4...
One of my friends modded his to PK mount.
ClubSNAP Photography Forums - View Single Post - Show us your Pentax...
10-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Banned

Zeiss. come now, its an 85 1.4...
10-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

Tossing out the f2 vs f1.4 comparison.

Zeiss=sharpness
Leica=rendering.

BUT you have to ask that the Leica adapter is the one which replaces the mount in the lens and not an add on adapter.