Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What UV filter should i put on my DA* ?

I got DA* 50-135 and DA* 16-50
I need to find out a UV to put on the lens
any good UV recommend ? I just want to always keep them on my lens and do the protection of lens.
CIRCULAR POLARIZER ? but i found these kind of UV quite expensive

10-13-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why not just use the lens hood? Every piece of glass you put in front of your lens degrades image quality, however minutely.
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamnet Quote
any good UV recommend ? I just want to always keep them on my lens and do the protection of lens.
The best UV filter is the one left at the camera store.
A circular polarizer is not a UV filter, BTW. I don't know if that's what you meant in your post or not, but I thought I'd clarify that for you.
A good lens hood (both those lenses came with hoods, right?) does a far better job of protecting the lens from damage than a filter, and will improve image quality rather than degrade it.
Your lenses aren't made of spun sugar, they can take being out in the elements.
10-13-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I stopped using a filter on my lenses over a year ago now and did notice a slight improvement in IQ but not a lot...only use a CPL on occasion now but have though of investing in a Cokin setup for fun, when I am "riche" that is...

I use hoods now a days and that is something I never did in the old days...if I do buy filters I buy from a company in China who typically has excellent prices and their stuff is genuine real...they are now called MaxSaver (http://www.Maxsaver.net)...extra protection usually cannot hurt...remember the dude here who's life was saved, not to mention his gear, k7 etc...) when shooting a helicopter up-close while it was in the process of either landing or taking off, I forget...so perhaps the real reason for a filter is the save lives? hehehehe....

But I stick to better brands. Though after the "impossible to clean" issue I had with a couple Pro1 filters, later fixed with a LensPen as well as a bottle of ROR, never cared for Hoya though...I like B+W Kaesemann the best but, Kenko are just as good as any other when talking UV/protector filters (they are made by Hoya as I recall).

But stick with name brands and you'll be happy...good luck.

10-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #5

I have been using a Hoya Pro one digital protector filter on my lenses. The glass in these filters is so clear and nonreflective that you can't tell that it is on the lens. If you have a store nearby with one of these or a friend with one check it out. Good luck on your purchase.
10-13-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dreamnet Quote
Here are the best reviews I'm aware of for both UV and polarizing filters:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
10-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
General consensus with the filter testers is the Hoya HMC/B+W MRC filters degrade IQ least.
I have both on quite a few different lenses and cannot complain that either has notably degraded my results...

10-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have HOYA pro 1 on my DA* and is just perfect.
Polarizer is another think, no UV.
10-14-2009, 02:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm using the new Hoya HD UV and CIR-Polarizing filters and they are fantastic... 8 layers of coating, dead easy to clean, scratch resistant and most of all shock resistant.
The filter ring is slim which prevents vignetting with ultra-wide lenses. Interestingly with the circular polariser, the amount of light loss is much less when compared to a other circular polarisers I've got.

YouTube - Indestructable Hoya HD Filter

Compared to other filters when a steel ball is dropped on the filter from a height:

Hoya HD
YouTube - HOYA HD FILTER 5

Brand B
YouTube - Brand B
10-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nater, thanks for the links. I use B+W UVs mostly but I also have some Marumi DHG CPL filters that I really like. Good to know the Marumi scores so well. They are a good eco choice IMO. Marumi aslo makes a clear protection filter if you don't want the UV effect.