Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #46

just received it, have not opened the box yet.
any tips as how to thoroughly check it out ? Won't have much time to check it out until tonight unfortunately.

10-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just a sample of what to expect from this lens if used with appropriation. I don't have the focusing screen for my K-7 yet, so it's a bit of a challenge for my not so good of a vision. mind you that the DOF is so thin or shallow so nailing a shot or that particular part of an image could be frustrating. but if you got it right, the rewards are worth of your effort.

Note: I decided to upload this directly here since the image I had posted on photobucket somehow degrades the image massively after a few weeks or month after uploading. I dont know if it's a glitch on the system. I do hope that somehow by uploading directly the sample here doesn't degrade the image in the future.

I find that I can manual focus with the A f1.2 better than I can manual focus with the FA 50mm f1.4. That's with the stock screen. The shots are very similar at f1.2 and f1.4, but it takes me several tries with the FA to get a sharp image hand held vs. the f1.2.

QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
just received it, have not opened the box yet.
any tips as how to thoroughly check it out ? Won't have much time to check it out until tonight unfortunately.
Open up the aperture wide open and look through it both directions with a flash light. Use the flash light both ways as well. Then close down the blades all the way and look in both ways to see if the blades are oily or not. Have a lens cloth handy to clean the surface. Blow it off before using the cloth IF the cloth is needed.

Expect some dust in any lens. Look at one you bought new for comparison.

Last edited by Blue; 10-17-2009 at 12:18 PM.
10-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haven't opend the box yet??? Now that is just plain curious. I would have ripped the box open to see a least what the exterior and glass was like even if I couldn't give it a thorough testing.
Let us know because I have one coming also and it should have been here a couple days ago. I email him and no response and the delivery confirm only shows he has notified usps that he was going to ship. It doesn't show shippment but he said it was shipped tuesday. If it doesn't show today I may start action.
10-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Haven't opend the box yet??? Now that is just plain curious. I would have ripped the box open to see a least what the exterior and glass was like even if I couldn't give it a thorough testing.
Let us know because I have one coming also and it should have been here a couple days ago. I email him and no response and the delivery confirm only shows he has notified usps that he was going to ship. It doesn't show shippment but he said it was shipped tuesday. If it doesn't show today I may start action.
That seems a bit premature. Everything I get shipped from the East Coast (I'm in CA) takes at least 6-7 days, so if it was shipped on Tuesday, I would expect it on Monday the earliest.

10-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #50

okay,

lens were well packaged, however the serial number does not correspond to the one in the auction - 1404797 (not 100% sure about the 9) and the one received 1401249

Item is well packaged, however it came with no lens cap (shown in auction) or rear cap (not shown) and the serial in the auction was 1404797, the one received was 1401249.

At least it's an A lens, I did not see any spots but there is a little bit of dust in between the lens (not too bad I believe) and a very small hair very thin and 3mm long. The filter thread is not in good condition, I can put a filter but I have to push down a little otherwise...

The blades do not seem to be oily, changing aperture is smooth a does its job. The aperture lever (if that's the right term) opens the iris up without any problem, the focusing ring is smooth throughout.

And finally, I can not get it to mount on either my istD or K10, and I don't really see anything wrong when comparing to my other lens. To be a little more precise, I match the orange dots, put it in, but It won't turn (more than a mm).

HELP !

Last edited by davidvcd; 10-17-2009 at 12:52 PM.
10-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

okay,

lens were well packaged, however the serial number does not correspond to the one in the auction - 1404797 (not 100% sure about the 9) and the one received 1401249

Item is well packaged, however it came with no lens cap (shown in auction) or rear cap (not shown) and the serial in the auction was 1404797, the one received was 1401249.

At least it's an A lens, I did not see any spots but there is a little bit of dust in between the lens (not too bad I believe) and a very small hair very thin and 3mm long. The filter thread is not in good condition, I can put a filter but I have to push down a little otherwise...

The blades do not seem to be oily, changing aperture is smooth a does its job. The aperture lever (if that's the right term) opens the iris up without any problem, the focusing ring is smooth throughout.

And finally, I can not get it to mount on either my istD or K10, and I don't really see anything wrong when comparing to my other lens. To be a little more precise, I match the orange dots, put it in, but It won't turn (more than a mm).

HELP !
'

still having problems? are you sure it's the Pentax K-mount or Pentax lens as what is written on the lens?
10-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #52

I also noticed that it will not not go fully to infinity, it ges stuck between the 10m and infinty sign.

The lens say SMC PENTAX-A 1:1.2 50mm,
10-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I also noticed that it will not not go fully to infinity, it ges stuck between the 10m and infinty sign.

uh oh. I think this is headed for a replacement or repair. either way, I dont know if that other copy with the same serial number would be better than that one. you might want to have that one checked out first before asking for a replacement.

anyhow, can you please post some close-up pictures of the lens as well as how it's focusing is stucked at 10m? thanks.

p.s. I hope the others would check this one out as well.

10-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this. You need to post a complain to ebay. This alone is cause enough.

Glad I passed on this, though I was tempted.

Now the same seller has got a load of "K" 50/1.2 (non-A), but prising them as he didn't knew the difference...
10-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
That seems a bit premature. Everything I get shipped from the East Coast (I'm in CA) takes at least 6-7 days, so if it was shipped on Tuesday, I would expect it on Monday the earliest.
I only say this because it was supposed to be shipped priority mail which only take 2-3 days, usually 2 days. I wasn't getting a response back from him either so that was making me nervous. I did however just get a response back from him but he never answered the question I asked about exactly when it was shipped.

Sounds from the trouble David is having this don't look very promising.
10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #56
Veteran Member

judging from the remaining lenses, it seems that quite a handful people from here might had headed for the lens rush, or probably mostly from eBay. there's only 1 "A" type lens remaining. one thing that I'm just kinda puzzled is that why the seller didn't sent the lens that was supposed to be posted or advertised, when in fact he had spent his time taking pictures of each lenses and putting numbered papers by sequence aside them. I dunno if he lost track of those but it's not very nice. the least he could do was to tape the paper into lens inorder to identify which lens was ordered by whom. maybe this is due to lack of experience or had never thought the significance of serial numbers. though they maybe the same type of lens, they are not the same due to the conditions they are in. this would reflect on the transaction if it was done properly and it would have a tremendous effect on the feedback of the seller.

I don't know if eBay would still follow the idiotic rule of protecting the seller with "I'm just a seller and don't care about what I sell is good or not".
10-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

judging from the remaining lenses, it seems that quite a handful people from here might had headed for the lens rush, or probably mostly from eBay. there's only 1 "A" type lens remaining. one thing that I'm just kinda puzzled is that why the seller didn't sent the lens that was supposed to be posted or advertised, when in fact he had spent his time taking pictures of each lenses and putting numbered papers by sequence aside them. I dunno if he lost track of those but it's not very nice. the least he could do was to tape the paper into lens inorder to identify which lens was ordered by whom. maybe this is due to lack of experience or had never thought the significance of serial numbers. though they maybe the same type of lens, they are not the same due to the conditions they are in. this would reflect on the transaction if it was done properly and it would have a tremendous effect on the feedback of the seller.

I don't know if eBay would still follow the idiotic rule of protecting the seller with "I'm just a seller and don't care about what I sell is good or not".
Actually, the seller even stated the serial number in each description.

"SERIAL#1404926 (you will get the one pictured)"

I noticed some of the listings had some oddities. A few had images with serials that didn't match the one in the description and a few had two different lenses with different serials in one listing.
10-19-2009, 04:36 AM   #58

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Actually, the seller even stated the serial number in each description.

"SERIAL#1404926 (you will get the one pictured)"

I noticed some of the listings had some oddities. A few had images with serials that didn't match the one in the description and a few had two different lenses with different serials in one listing.
Well, the seller also said that he had, "... tested every lens. Tested means we have taken at least one picture with a camera using the lens listed for sale. I have sold many of these lenses and thus far everyone has been happy with them."

I have no idea why the seller would mail a lens with a different serial number than he went through such pains to clarify.

David, you definitely have a good case for a return of your funds. I am bummed it turned out badly for you, and hope some better stories get posted on this lens soon. I expect to have the lens today, and will post the results as soon as I am able.

This may get ugly...
10-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #59

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow - I'd have to call that "Van Gogh Bokeh".

just a sample of what to expect from this lens if used with appropriation. I don't have the focusing screen for my K-7 yet, so it's a bit of a challenge for my not so good of a vision. mind you that the DOF is so thin or shallow so nailing a shot or that particular part of an image could be frustrating. but if you got it right, the rewards are worth of your effort.

Note: I decided to upload this directly here since the image I had posted on photobucket somehow degrades the image massively after a few weeks or month after uploading. I dont know if it's a glitch on the system. I do hope that somehow by uploading directly the sample here doesn't degrade the image in the future.
10-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #60

Original Poster

The lenses are sold 'as is,' but, identifying a serial number for a product that is variable from copy to copy establishes an expectation of what is being purchased. It shouldn't be ok to deliver a product different from what was offered. Imagine if the seller mailed a lens of a different make or focal length, and then tried to hide behind an 'as-is' claim.

We will have to see how other lenses come in; my impression for now is that the seller is just plain terrible at keeping track of lenses and where to mail them.