Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
judging from the remaining lenses, it seems that quite a handful people from here might had headed for the lens rush, or probably mostly from eBay. there's only 1 "A" type lens remaining.
I for one.

10-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A little information that may ease some of the anxiety for those of us waiting for a 50mm f1.2-- The first e-bay feedback regarding this batch of lenses has been listed for the seller, and it is positive: "Item as described." If arkansasflash1 reads this, please speak up and let us know some more detais.
10-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #63

Original Poster
Lens #28 Arrived

My A-50m f1.2 lens (#28 in the auction) arrived today. So far, I am very pleased with the result.

Packaging
The package was shipped USPS Priority Mail. Upon opening it, I was horrified! Under a single square of small bubble-wrap and a few other individual pieces of balled up plastic packaging material, the lens sat unprotected at the bottom of the box. It had no caps and was just rolling around there. I didn’t expect to have proper caps (none were listed as part of the sale), but I am seriously disappointed with the seller for his packing job—and grateful for my luck that no apparent damage was done in transit.

Cosmetic Appearance

The lens (SN#1403016) was the item I expected to receive. Overall, the cosmetic appearance of the lens is quite good. There are a few chips out of the finish on the aperture ring, and a few paint chips out of the front filter mounting and aperture flange, but overall the condition is more than satisfactory. The rear lens elements had several smudges, but I have not touched those, as I am sending the lens out to be professionally cleaned. I can only hope that there is no damage here from the poor packing job.

Looking into the front element, the coating looks even and undamaged. The aperture blades exhibit no oil, are symmetrical, and operate smoothly. I am pleased that there is very little dust inside the lens.

Only at the 6 o’clock outer region of the lens is there a bit of fungus (~4mmx6mm), which was clearly indicated by the seller prior to the sale. In fact, the photo of the fungus is from the ad for the lens, and not my own. It looks to be contained to the front element, and should be no trouble to have professionally cleaned.

Function
Focus ring movement is smooth through the full range of focus, though a little sluggish in the clockwise direction. Aperture ring movement is snappy.

Mounting the lens went smoothly, and locked snuggly into place. Aperture reads accurately from the lens (A-setting), stopping down the lens happens as it should. Focus to infinity and to the 19” limit is possible (it seemed closer than 19” to me, but I didn’t bring out a ruler—probably just my imagination).

Here is a sample shot at f1.2 (completely on the fly). It was hard to keep focus; each breath moved the focus plane back and forth.

Conclusion
The lens is completely satisfactory, and is well worth having cleaned. I am thrilled to play with this guy, and can hardly wait until it returns from being cleaned. On the other hand, I would not recommend this seller. It was mere luck that this lens did not arrive damaged. Others have reported receiving the wrong lens.

I would encourage anyone else who received a lens to post a review.

Last edited by DavidWasch; 10-19-2009 at 12:08 PM.
10-19-2009, 12:08 PM   #64
Forum Member

I got one from him as well. No complaint except for some dust inside the lens. Emailed Eric, the cleaning work will cost me sth like $40. I'd like to leave them alone as I don't think the image quality would be affect in any way. Any suggestions? Paired it with my MX....I really like it.

Last edited by Taikonaut; 10-19-2009 at 08:57 PM.
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
A little information that may ease some of the anxiety for those of us waiting for a 50mm f1.2-- The first e-bay feedback regarding this batch of lenses has been listed for the seller, and it is positive: "Item as described." If arkansasflash1 reads this, please speak up and let us know some more detais.
That would be me. I was made an offer before I was aware of the plethora of lenses the seller had. I got the lens on Saturday afternoon and it is in very good shape optically with minimal dust. My copy has no fungus. It came with front cover only which is a Vivitar front cap and no rear cap. I knew there was no rear cap. It was bubble wrapped with no protection on the rear other than the plastic, but I got lucky and no rub marks occured. There was a minor sudge that cleaned up with a lens cloth. It was the correct serial number as well. The lens is in good overall shape and the A contacts work on my K200d and MZ-3. I probably got lucky overall. I went ahead and left the feedback based on what happened with my transaction. I gave low marks on the communication and description part of the reveiw. I started to wait and see how everyone else did here. However, after thinking about it, I decided that it would be unethical to leave feed back that way.

In that sense, I definitely say buyer beware and only play this game if you get the lens at low enough of a deal. If I had saw all of the lenses or some of the K1000 combos etc., I would not have made an offer on this lens. I am certain I got plain lucky on this thing.

Edit: Focus was very smooth on my unit as well and it goes to infinity without any problems.
10-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I got the lens on Saturday afternoon and it is in very good shape optically with minimal dust.
Congratulations. That makes at least three of us who made out well.

It was bubble wrapped with no protection on the rear other than the plastic, but I got lucky and no rub marks occured.
Darn luckly. What kills me is how well this seller may have done if he were more thoughtful, and appreciated these lenses for what they are.

I went ahead and left the feedback based on what happened with my transaction. I gave low marks on the communication and description part of the reveiw. I started to wait and see how everyone else did here. However, after thinking about it, I decided that it would be unethical to leave feed back that way.
Great approach. I did the same, after reading your post.
10-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Mine looks good too. A little better than described, I would say. Test shots suggest the lens is working, but the operator needs practice to MF at 1.2.
10-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Mine looks good too. A little better than described, I would say. Test shots suggest the lens is working, but the operator needs practice to MF at 1.2.
good observation regarding the test shot. though the new owner might have some lens problems of his own.

10-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #69
Site Supporter

Oh, I meant MY test shots, not Dave's.
10-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Oh, I meant MY test shots, not Dave's.
oh, well that would leave you somebody to dance with then.
10-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #71
Site Supporter

I guess. I am enjoying playing with this lens, although I am not great at it yet. It is really big, dwarfs my other pentax 50s. But hard to MF at f/1.2, and I haven't shot it much at any other aperture yet. Here's one in low light and one in almost no light:

10-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #72
Site Supporter

1/6 at f1.2

1/13 at f1.2

10-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Anyone ever pulled one of these apart?
I'm kind tempted to grab one of the less lovely ones and clean the internals and have the basic tools to do the job, lens spanner and rim/name plate remover as well as quite the collection of tiny screw drivers. I'm just hoping that allows for easy access to most elements without too much fussing with the mounting mechanism of having to split the assembly. Worse still glued elements.
10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #74
Site Supporter

The only lens I took apart to clean ended up on the scrap heap... don't do it with one of these unless you know what you're doing!
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #75

Original Poster
I guess. I am enjoying playing with this lens, although I am not great at it yet. It is really big, dwarfs my other pentax 50s. But hard to MF at f/1.2, and I haven't shot it much at any other aperture yet.
Nice shots. I look on with envy, since my copy went straight to Eric for cleaning. I feel so naked without a 50mm; it has even given me the urge to look at other good 50mm alternatives (FA50mm 2.8, DFA50mm, Sigma 50mm 1.4). There really are a lot of good (and mostly affordable) options at this focal length. I would love to see four or five of these performers tested in a shoot-out.

So, from what I can tell, three of us have had a positive experience, and one of us has had a less than positive experience. I think LeDave also picked up a copy-- would love to hear how it turned out.