Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Whole mess of A- 50mm f1.2 up for auction

I'm sure a few of you have noticed that there are about a dozen of the cherished 50mm f1.2s for sale on fleebay. Most copies are listed for $500, which is a bit steep imho.

I did note that the seller (wsw_08) sounds a bit eager to sell in his posting, so I gave a low-ball 'best offer', because there was nothing to lose. Well, I was able to pick up a copy with fungus for $175 (originally offered at $300). It is probably a good deal for me. I'm not too intimidated by some fungus, having cleaned my own Viv/Komine 28mm recently, with satisfactory results.

I don't think there are any other $300 copies up for sale, but if a similar discount can be applied to the other offerings, good copies may be available for around $300. You may want to give it a shot-- caveat emptor, however!

Just to be clear, I have no relation to the seller, and no interest in the sales, just thought I would spread the word for anyone interested.

-David

10-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is another thread on here about it. Do you have the lens in hand? I notice he sold one copy of the K version for $175.

Edit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/76300-holy-moly-alota-pentax-1-2s.html
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is another thread on here about it. Do you have the lens in hand? I notice he sold one copy of the K version for $175.

Edit: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/76300-holy-moly-alota-pentax-1-2s.html
Didn't see the other thread. Well, the info I really wanted to convey had to do with the reduced "offer" that the lenses may sell for.

Nope, the lens is not in hand as of yet. Payment just went out this morning. Clearly, there is some risk. I would be more cautious if I wanted one of the lenses listed for $500. The pictures of the products aren't that great, and the seller doesn't seem very knowledgeable. He seems to be disclosing as much info as he can, though.

-David
10-14-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The A version at $175 would make it cost effective to send it to Erik.

10-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
A Hearty Thanks

The A version at $175 would make it cost effective to send it to Erik.
Ah, that was just my thought when I made the bid. I could do it myself, but would prefer not to risk damaging a beauty if it could be professionally cleaned at reasonable cost. The only thing I was missing was a reputable place to have the work done--- Thank you for the info! I will likely send Erik my business, and post the results here.

First, I need to test the lens out at home, to confirm that it functions as it should, has clean aperture blades, etc. I am hopeful that it has gained fungus through a lack of use, and is in otherwise good condition (I guess the biggest risk being oil on the blades, which can also be cleaned).

Oh, I hope this works out well. If it does, I'll put my gently used AF50 on the block for about what this lens cost after cleaning. If not, I'll just cry in my beer for a weekend.
10-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
Ah, that was just my thought when I made the bid. I could do it myself, but would prefer not to risk damaging a beauty if it could be professionally cleaned at reasonable cost. The only thing I was missing was a reputable place to have the work done--- Thank you for the info! I will likely send Erik my business, and post the results here.

First, I need to test the lens out at home, to confirm that it functions as it should, has clean aperture blades, etc. I am hopeful that it has gained fungus through a lack of use, and is in otherwise good condition (I guess the biggest risk being oil on the blades, which can also be cleaned).

Oh, I hope this works out well. If it does, I'll put my gently used AF50 on the block for about what this lens cost after cleaning. If not, I'll just cry in my beer for a weekend.
You got the K version for 175 or was it the A version ?

I made an offer for 195 and it was accepted for an A lens. Can someone point me to a thread about seriously testing / cleaning.

Who is this Erik that get lens professionally cleaned ?
10-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davidvcd Quote
You got the K version for 175 or was it the A version ?

I made an offer for 195 and it was accepted for an A lens. Can someone point me to a thread about seriously testing / cleaning.

My purchase was an A-Verion for $175 (originally listed at $300). The price was lower than the others because of visible fungus in the lens.

Congrats on your purchase, I hope it turns out to be a great lens.

Here is the link for Erik. He seems to be well considered by some at this site. Erik's website also inspires some trust, though I have no personal experience with him (yet).

Please post photos of the lens and your reaction to it once it is received. We might be able to start a nice little A-50mm f1.2 Club here

10-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eric Hendrickson - Pentax Camera Service

Eric Hendrickson, owner of Pentax Camera Service and Pentax technician par excellence'.

For information and review of Pentax Camera Service, and links to Eric's website, go to the External Links Forum / Camera Repair and Service here

CameraReapir and Servcice Sub-Forum
10-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #9

Well, I got an email confirmation with tracking (unfortunately its usps, so it's of no use) however its shipping from the same state as where I live so I should get it here fast once it ships (great thing about living where I am, packages get here fast !).
10-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #10

Original Poster
Well, I got an email confirmation with tracking (unfortunately its usps, so it's of no use) however its shipping from the same state as where I live so I should get it here fast once it ships (great thing about living where I am, packages get here fast !).
Mine shipped too, and I only paid this morning. That is a good sign. We'll see how this goes... Keep me updated.
10-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #11

I'm convinced it's legit. I can tell because I want one of them and I have absolutely no money. If it was a fraud, I'd have the cash to buy one myself. This is because the universe hates me.
10-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
One of my rules for E-bay; if the seller won't answer questions, I won't part with money.
Oh well, too bad, maybe next time....
10-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
One of my rules for E-bay; if the seller won't answer questions, I won't part with money.
Oh well, too bad, maybe next time....
Are you saying you asked him a question and he never answered?
10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
Mine shipped too, and I only paid this morning. That is a good sign. We'll see how this goes... Keep me updated.
So far it appears he has sold 8 of the A's for an average price of $251 and the K for $200.
10-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #15

Original Poster
So far it appears he has sold 8 of the A's for an average price of $251 and the K for $200.
Thanks for the update. I didn't know you could search for recently sold items. I hope folks from this site who made purchases convey their experiences. What I think is great about this lens is how it seduces the photographer into really thinking about background, composition and bokeh.

At my last check, there were 11 still up for sale. I wonder if the Rokkors did as well.