Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Soldbear, with the step-down rings, won't the photos vignette?
Won't it cause some sort of a tunnel vision effect?
I've tried the 30.5 mm step down ring on 28mm and 35mm lens and it did not vignette. With a 24mm lens it did. I think it should be alright with 50mm and longer lenses as well.

10-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Soldbear, with the step-down rings, won't the photos vignette?
Won't it cause some sort of a tunnel vision effect?
Some lenses do, some don't.

I set the camera in Av mode and open the lens to full aperture, then I add step down rings until I see a drop in shutter speed, then I back up one step.

For this Vivitar 135mm close focusing (62mm filter thread diameter), for example, I have to stop at 49mm, then I add a Pentax 49mm lens hood. It's still more compact than a 62mm lens hood.

I found out that this kind of "lens hood" doesn't work well with zoom lenses.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.
10-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Have you done any A/B testing with the step-down and small hood versus extending the "correct" hood?

Probably lens-specific results, but would be interesting nonetheless.
10-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #19
HarryGB

QuoteOriginally posted by erikmichael Quote
I just purchased these off e-Bay. I am NOT the seller... just wanting to share a great find. Comes in a pack of 3 and fit my new 40mm very well. Super fast on and off. Looks great too. I love the feel of the original screw metal cap, but this is much more practical.
Thanks for this. Better than the £26 (GB pounds) I was quoted from Pentax for a genuine replacement!!!!! It has since turned up under a cupboard.

regards

Harry

10-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Got my set of 3 caps today; fit perfectly on the DA 40mm and looks like it came with the camera.
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erikmichael Quote
I just purchased these off e-Bay. I am NOT the seller... just wanting to share a great find. Comes in a pack of 3 and fit my new 40mm very well. Super fast on and off. Looks great too. I love the feel of the original screw metal cap, but this is much more practical.

3 Front Lens Cap 30mm Caps that Clip On - eBay (item 350236959614 end time Nov-04-09 13:25:00 PST)

or search for: 3 Front Lens Cap 30mm Caps that Clip On

Also - Some first photos with my 40mm... shot in low light at dusk mostly 400 ISO and some 800 ISO.

Picasa Web Albums - Erik - 40mm Limited ...
Just ordered the caps for my 40 Ltd. What can i do with the other 2???