Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Prime Lens Housing

I shoot almost exclusively with prime lenses. Most cases nowadays, zoom accommodations being their main design goal, are too large for my lenses. I currently have mostly Lowepro Sliplock & Adorama Slinger cases, similar in their canvas, semi-solid construction, which I like. Unfortunately, the smallest size available for both are about twice the size I require for most of my lenses. Consequently, they take up too much room for storage & field use. Can someone recommend a manufacturer of smaller cases, preferably of similar type construction? If not, recommendations for other types will be considered.

10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I shoot almost exclusively with prime lenses. Most cases nowadays, zoom accommodations being their main design goal, are too large for my lenses. I currently have mostly Lowepro Sliplock & Adorama Slinger cases, similar in their canvas, semi-solid construction, which I like. Unfortunately, the smallest size available for both are about twice the size I require for most of my lenses. Consequently, they take up too much room for storage & field use. Can someone recommend a manufacturer of smaller cases, preferably of similar type construction? If not, recommendations for other types will be considered.
Hard or soft?
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
D W
Veteran Member

I use the small sliplock 1S and I put two lenses in back to back with the rear cap cemented together so they stay in the pouch as one unit.
I carry the DA15,21,70. FA35,50 and 100Macro this way.
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Banned

I have considered purchasing this, but the price has so far kept me fom doing so. I normally carry only the lens attached to the camera, but on the occasions when I carry a few more primes, this would be a good choice. if it can fit teh DA limiteds, then it could fit my takumars.

PentaxWebstore DA Limited Lens Case

10-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Hard or soft?
Leaning more to the hard side. The cases I use now are sort of in between, which I like. Soft is easy, just obtain the correct sized lens pouches.
10-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
I use the small sliplock 1S and I put two lenses in back to back with the rear cap cemented together so they stay in the pouch as one unit.
I carry the DA15,21,70. FA35,50 and 100Macro this way.
Sounds like a good, interesting idea..... I'll give it a try with a couple of lenses.
10-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #7

Funny thing, I was wondering the same thing today. I'm looking for a housing for my DA 21+35+70. DA limited lens case comes into mind, but the shipping from B&H is no-go (55 USD for shipping to Czech Rep.). Any fellow New York Pentaxian willing to ship me DA limited lens case for a bit less?

I'll try lowerpro sliplock 1s tomorrow in store and see how I like it. Thanks!
10-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of small hard cases that I've picked up at camera shows or that came with other lenses over the years. Some are Pentax, some are from other manufacturers, and one was free from a camera store because the owner had a big box of miscellaneous old hard cases with little to no value. In my experience the cases are pretty cheap second hand.

I also have a large padded hard case I wound up making out of a section of plastic sewer pipe, a test cap and the lid from a fish food can. Most of the supplies cost about $15 at a hardware store, and narrower sections of pipe are much cheaper. I looked around for a pre-made case for quite a while but the longest ones stocked anywhere close to me were several inches too short. Making several small custom cases wouldn't take much more than a ruler, a hacksaw and your choice of dust free padding.

10-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap lens case

Remember the proposed Pentax lens case Ned B showed us a while back? Well, this ain't it!

Its a very pretentious hard case for a cheap pair of sunglasses I found in a parking lot. But it's a useful lens case. Holds 2-3 M42s or a 105/2.8 or 135/3.5 with a TC or 35/3.5 just fine. The lenses are usually carried wrapped in a micro-cloth for protection from wear. Works great in the car or bag and cost nothing.

H2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo