Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

20mm P/K comparison

Are there any forum members that have experience enough with both the 20mm SMC K & the 20mm M to give comparative information. There was a failed attempt to approach this subject a while back, which resulted in a slew of comments on the M, while practically ignoring the SMC. I imagine these results were due to the scarcity of (& hence, a lack of experience with) the SMC version, so I'm not really sure if this query will be any more successful, but here it is.

10-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Are there any forum members that have experience enough with both the 20mm SMC K & the 20mm M to give comparative information. There was a failed attempt to approach this subject a while back, which resulted in a slew of comments on the M, while practically ignoring the SMC. I imagine these results were due to the scarcity of (& hence, a lack of experience with) the SMC version, so I'm not really sure if this query will be any more successful, but here it is.
I can only comment on the K20/4, as I don’t have the M version. This lens is ok, but I much prefer the K18/3.5. It’s very close in focal length, faster and has built in filters. Both K lenses share the same 58mm lens hood, which is a bugger to find.

Phil
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I can only comment on the K20/4, as I don’t have the M version. This lens is ok, but I much prefer the K18/3.5. It’s very close in focal length, faster and has built in filters. Both K lenses share the same 58mm lens hood, which is a bugger to find.

Phil
Besides being slower & lacking the built in filters, how is the IQ of the SMC compared to the K18?
10-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K18 has a much better IQ than the K20. Phil.