Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 06:43 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caseygtc Quote
Thanks for the input. I did purchaSE THE 55-300 AND LOVE IT. I would like a "fast 50mm prime, but I don't have a lot to spend right now any sggestions?
If an AF 50mm is too much, I would definitely also recommend a Pentax A 50mm f1.7 - an M version would be ok too, but you basically lose aperture communication with the camera. You should be able to get a 50mm f1.7 A version between $60 and $80 - if that is still too much you can always start with a 50mm f2 A version for half that (maybe alittle less) - that would still be enough to get your feet wet.

10-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Yes this is true, I heard that the mark II version is improved somewhat.
By way of comparison, here's a 100% crop - also from a 10MP camera - from the 18-55 II, at 20mm, f/5.6. This is from within a few pixels of the left edge, near the bottom corner:

10-30-2009, 05:41 AM   #33
Veteran Member

FYI:

Lenstip has (very) recently reviewed the II in detail. They comment on the changes from the original, and rate it highly as well:

Pentax smc DA 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Their test charts may give some guidance about what apertures and focal length deliver the best performance out of the lens.

FWIW in my usage it has been a good performer across the range. In fact the whole post II kit family (inc the AL and the WR) are quality performers.