Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #1

Pentax K-x lenses

I just purchased a Pentax K-x, it comes with the 18-55MM lens.

What other pentax or third party lenes will work with it? Any suggestions for an additional lens?

Thank you

10-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caseygtc Quote
I just purchased a Pentax K-x, it comes with the 18-55MM lens.

What other pentax or third party lenes will work with it? Any suggestions for an additional lens?

Thank you
Any lens with a Pentax mount will work with it, as will any M42/screwmount lens with an adapter. Non-autofocus lenses won't autofocus (obviously) and non-auto-aperture lenses won't set the aperture for you (obviously).

But basically you have a huge amount of choices out there.

As for recommendations, what do you want to do that your kit lens can't do?
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Congratulations! I'm certain you'll be pleased with your purchase.

The 18-55mm kit lens is a very good performer, but it is neither fast, nor particularly long. But it's hard to give you additional recommendations without further information.

Your lens choices (if you're looking at brand-new models) start barely north of (US) $100 and go up from there -- to well over $1000.

If you're just getting started in photography and want to start relatively modestly, I'd suggest a long zoom like the Pentax 50-200mm, or the Tamron or Sigma 70-300mm, or (slightly more expensively) the Pentax 55-300mm. Between one of these and the kit lens, you'll have a lot of focal length range covered.

If you have any interest in portraits, another modest choice would be the FA 50mm f/1.4, which used to be around $200, but is getting more scarce and expensive these days. This is a fast lens (meaning, wide aperture), and will allow you to learn how to use limited depth of field to good effect.

All of the above are modern auto-focus lenses. For older, manual-focus lenses, you can find many great-performing bargains, like the Pentax M- or A- series 50mm lenses.

All of this having been said, I can't really make a solid recommendation until I know what you want -- if you even know at this point! The above recommendations are starters.

In terms of compatibility, you have pretty much the entire history of K-mount auto-focus and manual-focus lenses to choose from, hundreds of choices. All of them will work with your new camera. And so will even older "M42" screw-mount lenses, with an adapter.

Other companies make K-mount lenses, too, as suggested above: Sigma, Tamron, and some smaller players all produce fine lenses at various price points. These too will be compatible.

My suggestion: read, read, read. There's lots of good information in this SLR Lens Discussion forum!
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest a DA 40 for specialty purposes for now. the reason that I'm recommending this is because I'm curious as to how a LTD lens would work on your K-x. it was discussed before how the LTD lenses, particularly the DA LTDs work great on the K-7. also to see it's sharpness or if the K-x is able to reach or meet the optimum performance of a premium lens. if all goes well, you might get addicted to this lens.

if you could get a good price for this, let's say 350 or 400 bucks, take it. but if you got the cash to get a brand new, why not?

10-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #5

And when you're ready to try to shoot manual get a dirt cheap M 50 1:2 to get you started.
10-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess to get started I would like something automatic that would cover more possibilities like 18-250 or a 24-135. any suggestions?
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, there's the Pentax 18-250, which is identical to the Tamron 18-250 aside from the proprietary Pentax coatings. I'd go with whichever you can find at a lower price. However, you'll be duplicating the range of your 18-55. A better idea might be to get the (excellent) 55-300mm zoom to pair with your kit lens.

10-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I am thinking of either the Pentax/Tamron 18/250 or the Pentax 55-300. Any thoughts?
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the help. I am thinking of either the Pentax/Tamron 18/250 or the Pentax 55-300. Any thoughts?
the 55-300 would be the better investment.
10-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's our lens review database, which has a listing of all Pentax lenses (everything in that DB should be compatible with the K-X): Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

Look under DA, D FA, and DA L for the most recent series of digital lenses.

The FA and F series are also autofocus and will offer full AF/auto metering functionality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess to get started I would like something automatic that would cover more possibilities like 18-250 or a 24-135. any suggestions?
As long as you are aware of the compromises 'super-zooms' make in speed and image quality. Still, you can't beat the immediate range, unless you have two camera bodies.
10-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would also suggest the 55-300 and other wide-normal zoom like a 16-45 (along with an awesome fast fifty like the FA 50 f/1.4) ahead of a superzoom like the 18-250.

Just depends whether you like an all-round (but less capable and sharp) lens to save you from having to switch lenses often, or value more image quality and are OK with switching lenses...
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #13

I haven't had a chance to compare different lenses, but I'll tell you my personal experience as a novice amateur, and maybe it will help.

The most important thing is to understand your own needs, and this takes a lot of work. Look at the parameters of images in the gallery and decide what focal lengths, apertures and magnification ratios you want to have, understanding why the photos look like they do - perhaps they are taken from a long distance with a large aperture for instance, or indoors with a flash and wide angle. Think about what kinds of situations and subjects you want to photograph over the next year or two. Look at your budget and the parameters of available lenses regardless of reviews. Then look at reviews to compare lenses that offer what you're looking for. I think it's more important to have the functions (focal length, aperture) you need than to have the best quality.

The 18-55 is pretty sharp for your wide angle (20-24mm) range. I'm very happy with photos from the Pentax 50-200mm DA, and combined with shake reduction it's bright enough for static subjects, or for outdoor action shots. If you can get the FA 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 or 35/2 for a low-light lens, plus the 50-200 you would have a very flexible, portable, affordable 3-lens kit.

And I'll throw a real monkey wrench in - think about this - you could take amazing pictures using one lens and a whole bunch of lighting equipment, or a tripod, or a crane, or a trip to a picturesque location ... spend money wisely!
10-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the 55-300 would be the better investment.
+11ty.. Great lens and great value. Definitely the best recommendation for a second lens after the kit lens.
10-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barkowski Quote
The 18-55 is pretty sharp for your wide angle (20-24mm) range. I'm very happy with photos from the Pentax 50-200mm DA
I disagree with you on these two lenses. I find the 18-55 to be at it's worst at the wide end (though I note you left out the 18-19mm, where I find the lens pretty ugly). I also sold off my 50-200 for a Sigma 70-300 (non-APO), and then the APO version, both of which outperfom the 50-200, especially getting up near the 200mm mark, as you might expect. The 18-55 is good for a kit lens, and a very useful range, but it's still just a kit lens.

I think Ash had some good lenses choices there, and as Michael Barkowski pointed out, it's really dependant on your needs. One thing to note though, is that even if you don't need the f/2.8 of a fast zoom, that zoom will almost always outperform a slower lens, say a f/4-5.6, especially at f/4-8.