Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pretty much any lens can be forced to have CA issues if you try hard enough. That's why there is a CA repair tool in the raw converter.
I love the internet, someone takes a virtually unphotographably backlit picture and then spews out that the lens has a CA problem.
Neither the 31 or 77 have CA problems, but they can be forced to show CA if you take the right picture.
Ummm no.

The 77 has a nasty habit of bokeh cyan CA/fringing (i never know the right terminology) in 'regular' situations. It clings to borders feverishly, like a cancer.

Great lens, sure .... but you cannot ignore this when shelling out $800 and with other lenses to choose from.

10-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

My 77 never gave me any problem . it is my show off lens every time I want to show off my pentax gear

I have both the 31mm and the 77mm and they are both amazing.

the 31mm is the master of lenses in the pentax line as far as I see it. I just wish we could use it on a FF body the way it should be this lens is razor sharp with a bokeh to die for.

thou 31mm= almost 50mm on crop... even in the street when I am far away is almost never a full body shot.

for that you need a wider lens ... personalty I love my FA 20mm 2.8 but its an hard to find and expensive.
you can also go for the 21mm or stick with your 16-50 for full body.
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Ummm no.

The 77 has a nasty habit of bokeh cyan CA/fringing (i never know the right terminology) in 'regular' situations. It clings to borders feverishly, like a cancer.

Great lens, sure .... but you cannot ignore this when shelling out $800 and with other lenses to choose from.

I've seen these same old images before.

Do you have any recent ones?

I believe fringing and CA "clings to borders", yes.

You could also desaturate the fringing...
10-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Ummm no.

Fortunately, my 77 doesn't do that to me. I was able to remove most of it in your examples in camera raw, BTW, which for me pretty much makes it a non issue.