Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 02:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Are you going to use both your Sigma 100-300 and Pentax 60-250?
I love the DA* 60-250mm ... IMO it is one of Pentax's best lenses but I find SDM slow. I have always wanted to try the Sigma 100-300mm f4 so when one came up for a reasonable price I thought I would take the opportunity. I will only keep one. (But I will wait until I get the K-7 for its faster AF to make a proper test).

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I wish I had your budget Mike
That sounds more like my 2years stretched budget...sadly
Oh I don't have the cash to keep them .. they are purely bought to compare against the 50-135mm and 60-250mm. Once I have done that one of each will be sold.

All my lenses are bought for my old age pension, they very rarely decline in price and I get the enjoyment out of them now.

10-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I see what you're saying Hin, but...
I wouldn't sell lens if it was in "beloved" category unless I'd be really desperate for cash. That's the reaso I'm keeping DA40. It can't do anything that FA31 & F50 wouldn't. Except being smaller and 1.5 stop slower. But it is marvelous lens and I love it too much to sell it. I'm simply too attacched to it and as a reward it gave me some of the best shots I've ever taken.
Now with DA* that was different story that went wrong. It all started in May when I found used Sigma 100-300 for excelent price. However after extensive testing (on 2 bodies) I discovered it had some AF issues. By then my K400/5.6 was gone so I went for Tamron 70-200, figuring I'll have good walk around lens, good for portraits, weddings, theatre and with TC it'll still do for wildlife. I wass happy with it but after 1 month it broke down so I took it back. And then (stupidly) instead of takinng back money I took the Da*, thinking I'll have great portrait/traveling lens annd I'll get wildlife sorted later. Now, the DA* is a great lens but I never really fell for it. Reviewing shots from Egypt, many suffer from vignetting and there is visible barrel distortion on wide end compared to my F50. It delivered many great shots but nothing that 50 and Sigma 105 couldn't do. At 135 I oftenn found it too short and ended up cropping a lot. And the minimum focusing distance at 50mm was really annoying. After running exposure plot I found out that around 85% of shots taken with it were at the extremes. All in all, it's a great zoom but by now I'm convinced primes suit me better.
Therefore selling it, didn't move me at all. In fact it was rather costly exercise...
End 300/4.5 is much more valuable to me. It finaly let's me go out and enjoy nature walks like I haven't been able to do eversince May.
Now I just need to patch 50 - 105 gap, get 1.5 TC usable with both 105 & 300 and that's just about it.

BR
Peter
It's never...never...about it !!
10-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #18
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It's never...never...about it !!

I know, but let's pretend
10-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I would love to see some images of the F300/4.5 against another one of your lenses (preferably one in my list as well), and images taken with the lens. I wonder whether it is a lighter better version to the DA* and the sigma.

P.S: If you ever want to sell the F300/4.5 in the future, let me know. (Or if you find a similar deal).
we only have Sigma 10-20 in common so I'll give it a go later on...
I'll be posting some quick and dirty shots from the lens soon. Keep your eyes peeled.

Peter

10-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here are some shots:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/76797-nature-first-shots...tml#post778051
10-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Looks good.

My Sigma 100-300mm DG EX f4 arrived yesterday and if first impressions are anything to go by I can see my Bigma, Pentax F* 300mm f4.5 and possibly even the Pentax DA* 60-250mm going up for sale soon.

It really is a superb lens and focuses so much quicker than anything else I have (not sure why that is though).
10-18-2009, 03:59 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Looks good.

My Sigma 100-300mm DG EX f4 arrived yesterday and if first impressions are anything to go by I can see my Bigma, Pentax F* 300mm f4.5 and possibly even the Pentax DA* 60-250mm going up for sale soon.

It really is a superb lens and focuses so much quicker than anything else I have (not sure why that is though).
Mike,

I've only had Sigma 100-300 for a week, but opticaly it's stunning lens. Superb results. But this FA* seems at least comparable though 1/3 of stop slower. One big disadvantage of the Sigma is it's size. I love that FA*300 is as small as it is. And that 1/3 of stop doesn't matter all that much (to me...)

BR
Peter

PS: if you'll be selling F*300 let me know!!! My wife is out for replacement of her Tamron 70-300
TIA
10-18-2009, 05:18 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Mike,

I've only had Sigma 100-300 for a week, but opticaly it's stunning lens. Superb results. But this FA* seems at least comparable though 1/3 of stop slower. One big disadvantage of the Sigma is it's size. I love that FA*300 is as small as it is. And that 1/3 of stop doesn't matter all that much (to me...)

BR
Peter

PS: if you'll be selling F*300 let me know!!! My wife is out for replacement of her Tamron 70-300
TIA
Yes I know what you mean, I think my F* 300mm is actually smaller than the FA* version and optically just as good. If the 100-300mm comes very close then I think the Pentax lens will have to go as although I do like the compact size I prefer a zoom over a prime if possible.

10-18-2009, 06:47 AM   #24
Pentaxian

...Yesterday I was foolish enough to browse pages of local London used equipment dealers. And in one shop I struck gold.
SMC-Pentax FA* 300/4.5 ED (IF).... asking price 549...
That's not LBA, that's an investment

Have fun, Peter.
10-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Yes I know what you mean, I think my F* 300mm is actually smaller than the FA* version and optically just as good. If the 100-300mm comes very close then I think the Pentax lens will have to go as although I do like the compact size I prefer a zoom over a prime if possible.
as I said, if you will be selling it, PLEASE let me be the first to know, for the right price I'd be VERY INTERESTED.
Thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
That's not LBA, that's an investment

Have fun, Peter.
Oh yes, I'm having fun already
I think soon you lot will get bored by my average pics of local wildlife
BR
Peter