Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've broken down (...to hell with moratorium)

I have self imposed moratorium as a prevention to spending even my lunch money on lenses... this was back in July when I was full of optimism. I don't have to say I have struggled ever since. I was thinking of getting DA21 to replace my "unwanted child" Sigma 24/2.8 AF. And I was planning to sell DA*50-135 to cover this purchase (this would still keep me in the plus, and number of my lenses wouldn't have changed... i.e. moratorium would "kind of" last ).
But ever since I sold my SMC 400/5.6 to raise funds for Sigma 100-300 (which had faulty AF and was traded for Tammy 70-200/2.8 which broke down and was traded for DA*) I missed nice long option in my line up.
Yesterday I was foolish enough to browse pages of local London used equipment dealers. And in one shop I struck gold.
SMC-Pentax FA* 300/4.5 ED (IF).... asking price £549.
Today morning I was on the bus and tube and feet to get there as soon as they open. The lens is in great shape and after quick test, the deal went down. I sold the DA* in another shop (taking a loss and not small) and I still have some bucks to cough up, but I spent all afternoon in Regent's park and oh boys (and girls) is the FA* worth it. It really seems I'll be loving it a lot.
And to add insult to injury I think I'll pull the trigger again on another massive purchase £20 Helios 44 + M42>PK adapter
some sample shots from FA* will come later...
I just thought I'll share this moment with you

BR
Peter

PS: if anybody's interested the shop still lists FA*s 28-70 & 80-200 for £599 and £799 respectively. They both seem in great shape.

10-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #2

Well I can't comment on the FA* but there's not much to hate with the Helios. I just got one and it's sharp wide open. Some recent shots:

10-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh Peter, LBA had to hit hard for you then.

Ultimately the gear you've purchased is giving you newfound joy in this vocation you love, so it's not a total loss. And you can impose that moratorium on yourself for whatever reason, which may be appropriate if you're strapped for cash, but you've rationalised the above FA* purchase and not made a massive dent on your budget from what I gather. The next purchase you have in mind may do that OTOH.

Consider your needs and priorities and see how they stack up against the Helios purchase. If you feel it's not a major blow to the other important things in your life there'd be no need to sanction yourself from picking up another lens to add to your collection. Hope you come to a decision you'll be happy with...

And in the meantime, get your money's worth and enjoy the FA* you'd been after for some time, sharing some of your results along the way!
10-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your purchase. The DA 21mm you'll find around easily enough; the FA* 300 at what seems to be a very nice price is far harder to come by!

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
And in one shop I struck gold. SMC-Pentax FA* 300/4.5 ED (IF).... asking price £549.

10-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leya216 Quote
Well I can't comment on the FA* but there's not much to hate with the Helios. I just got one and it's sharp wide open. Some recent shots:
REALLY nice stuff.
10-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #6

Happy days are here again!
Glad to see you've recovered from your temporary madness Peter. The 300 is on my list also, quite a few skipped meals to go yet; food is so over rated! I'll keep a look out for your pics. Cheers, Dre.
10-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hell with LBA and all the bad stigmas

Please bear with me as I may have come on HARSH unintentionally on you as I don't know your story with the DA* zoom. It is really hard to justify selling your good gear such as the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. Unless you don't use it much and you find the focal range not fitting your style, you may find yourself in a dilemma later looking for that zoom again.

Congratulation on the great find on you FA* 300mm f/4.5, it is sweet. Don't let your guilty feeling to overrun you to pressure you in selling the gear that you love. It ain't worth it if you find yourself wanting to buy it back few months down the road. It is easy to tell if you care to rent the lens out to a trusted friend for longer than 3 months. For me, that is out of the question. Not even for 2 weeks or if my friend is in the same city with me.

It is okay to swap gear, that is the good way to keep your LBA somewhat managed. But don't ever sell a lens that you currently love using. It is illogical that we are willing to pay more for the lens that we don't have and yet we are willing to sell our beloved gear for a cheaper price.

10-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
REALLY nice stuff.
n/t Thanks
10-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Please bear with me as I may have come on HARSH unintentionally on you as I don't know your story with the DA* zoom. It is really hard to justify selling your good gear such as the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. Unless you don't use it much and you find the focal range not fitting your style, you may find yourself in a dilemma later looking for that zoom again.

Congratulation on the great find on you FA* 300mm f/4.5, it is sweet. Don't let your guilty feeling to overrun you to pressure you in selling the gear that you love. It ain't worth it if you find yourself wanting to buy it back few months down the road. It is easy to tell if you care to rent the lens out to a trusted friend for longer than 3 months. For me, that is out of the question. Not even for 2 weeks or if my friend is in the same city with me.

It is okay to swap gear, that is the good way to keep your LBA somewhat managed. But don't ever sell a lens that you currently love using. It is illogical that we are willing to pay more for the lens that we don't have and yet we are willing to sell our beloved gear for a cheaper price.
I see what you're saying Hin, but...
I wouldn't sell lens if it was in "beloved" category unless I'd be really desperate for cash. That's the reaso I'm keeping DA40. It can't do anything that FA31 & F50 wouldn't. Except being smaller and 1.5 stop slower. But it is marvelous lens and I love it too much to sell it. I'm simply too attacched to it and as a reward it gave me some of the best shots I've ever taken.
Now with DA* that was different story that went wrong. It all started in May when I found used Sigma 100-300 for excelent price. However after extensive testing (on 2 bodies) I discovered it had some AF issues. By then my K400/5.6 was gone so I went for Tamron 70-200, figuring I'll have good walk around lens, good for portraits, weddings, theatre and with TC it'll still do for wildlife. I wass happy with it but after 1 month it broke down so I took it back. And then (stupidly) instead of takinng back money I took the Da*, thinking I'll have great portrait/traveling lens annd I'll get wildlife sorted later. Now, the DA* is a great lens but I never really fell for it. Reviewing shots from Egypt, many suffer from vignetting and there is visible barrel distortion on wide end compared to my F50. It delivered many great shots but nothing that 50 and Sigma 105 couldn't do. At 135 I oftenn found it too short and ended up cropping a lot. And the minimum focusing distance at 50mm was really annoying. After running exposure plot I found out that around 85% of shots taken with it were at the extremes. All in all, it's a great zoom but by now I'm convinced primes suit me better.
Therefore selling it, didn't move me at all. In fact it was rather costly exercise...
End 300/4.5 is much more valuable to me. It finaly let's me go out and enjoy nature walks like I haven't been able to do eversince May.
Now I just need to patch 50 - 105 gap, get 1.5 TC usable with both 105 & 300 and that's just about it.

BR
Peter
10-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
REALLY nice stuff.
+ 1 to that

For £20 lens...
this is really getting tempting
10-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I also decided some weeks ago that I was not going to buy any more lenses but instead my next purchase was going to be the K-7 and grip.

2 days ago I bought a Sigma 100-300mm f4 in Canon mount, the same lens in Pentax mount and a Sigma 50-150mm DC EX HSM II f2.8
10-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote

2 days ago I bought a Sigma 100-300mm f4 in Canon mount, the same lens in Pentax mount and a Sigma 50-150mm DC EX HSM II f2.8

You've got a little thing we like to call LBA!

Are you going to use both your Sigma 100-300 and Pentax 60-250?
10-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I also decided some weeks ago that I was not going to buy any more lenses but instead my next purchase was going to be the K-7 and grip.

I wish I had your budget Mike
That sounds more like my 2years stretched budget...sadly
10-16-2009, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

How lucky are you
Stores where to get lens available like that. MY DREAM lol

Congrats on the new lenses
10-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I would love to see some images of the F300/4.5 against another one of your lenses (preferably one in my list as well), and images taken with the lens. I wonder whether it is a lighter better version to the DA* and the sigma.

P.S: If you ever want to sell the F300/4.5 in the future, let me know. (Or if you find a similar deal).