Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 09:03 AM   #1

Helios 44-2 58mm question

I just got my Russian Helios 44-2 58mm from eBay. I have a few question on the lens. First of all, my copy doesn't have any indicator(red dot) on the aperture ring (first ring from top), also when i move the second ring (red arrow on pic), aperture also change, why? Does this lens has 2 aperture rings? or I have a bad copy. if so, is it hard to dissemble this lens? thanx

Attached Images

Last edited by winglik; 10-16-2009 at 09:16 AM.
10-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This lens is kind of a "reverse preset" that's different in its own way.

You twist the top ring with the numbers to your desired aperture since it clicks. Match that to the arrow that shows the center of the focus point inside the focus scale. Then you manipulate the bottom ring to open and close the aperture.

Most other preset lenses, as you "close the aperture down" going towards f/16, the second ring also moves that direction. The Helios is the opposite. Select with number ring, then move the lower in the "wrong way" to open the aperture.

Hope that makes sense
10-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanx, i just google that Lens, and found out the function of that "second aperture ring", please forgive my ignorance, it's my first Russian lens. Can i lock that "second aperture ring" completely? So i use the top ring to adjust the aperture. because when i change the aperture, I always accidentally change the second ring setting as well.
10-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No, the second one is infinitely variable and can't be locked. One trick is to set the lens at f/16 or the smallest aperture you want to use, then just rotate the bottom ring. Using Av mode, you could be shooting f/4-ish or somewhere near f/5.6 for grab shots

Don't worry about the mix up...in fact, I made a thread about questioning to use it as well when I first had mine (although on a different board)