Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #31
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Romania
Posts: 36
I am very happy to let you guys know that the lens was fixed by an extremely capable repair guy I found here in Bucharest. Fortunately, the contact brush was not broken so he just took it apart and put it back together. This sounds simple, but it wasn't; he showed me the photos he took during the dissasembly and it is indeed a very complicated operation. I don't know what was I smoking when I thought I could try it myself, this is definitely something for a professional.

The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense.

Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly; then they should be screwed together and a special vaseline needs to be applied so they don't actually come in contact; the vaseline keeps them apart a certain distance. This is what gives the lens the smooth focusing feel.
Then, the golden ring had to be attached back to the plastic chassis somehow, and this was done with a special glue. Then of course everything is put back together, the lens is calibrated; for that step a Pentax camera is needed of course.

Anyway, the lens is working again and I'm very pleased with this repair. It costed about 100USD and I think it was totally worth it.

02-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #32
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 157
QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
I am very happy to let you guys know that the lens was fixed by an extremely capable repair guy I found here in Bucharest. Fortunately, the contact brush was not broken so he just took it apart and put it back together. This sounds simple, but it wasn't; he showed me the photos he took during the dissasembly and it is indeed a very complicated operation. I don't know what was I smoking when I thought I could try it myself, this is definitely something for a professional.

The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense.

Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly; then they should be screwed together and a special vaseline needs to be applied so they don't actually come in contact; the vaseline keeps them apart a certain distance. This is what gives the lens the smooth focusing feel.
Then, the golden ring had to be attached back to the plastic chassis somehow, and this was done with a special glue. Then of course everything is put back together, the lens is calibrated; for that step a Pentax camera is needed of course.

Anyway, the lens is working again and I'm very pleased with this repair. It costed about 100USD and I think it was totally worth it.
Sounds like very complicated. Good to hear it is now fixed and the price is not bad either. Care for free advertising if he takes mail order so folks here may all benefit?
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,862
QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
...The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense... .
I think it does too, looking at the photos on the Chinese site.

QuoteQuote:
Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly...
The first time I did this, not knowing it was difficult, I spent about two hours trying to get the parts back together.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it worked out for you.
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Romania
Posts: 36
QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
Care for free advertising if he takes mail order so folks here may all benefit?
I don't think he would mind the free advertising; the only problem is that he's in Bucharest, Romania and I'm not sure how convenient shipping to Romania would be for most people on this forum; also I suppose that good repairmen are available anywhere, so probably shipping stuff to Romania for repairs would not be necessary in most cases. But if anyone wants to get in touch with him, just PM me and I'll be happy to help.

02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hobart, Australia
Posts: 79
I'm happy it worked out for you!
04-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 71
Damnit, this just happened to me, anyone able to successfully screw it back on? I've taken the whole thing apart, and get it almost back together, but it just seems stuck and I can't get it to screw on =/

04-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
There is a good chance the distance contact brush might be screwed. Stop toying with it further unless you know what you are doing.
04-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #38
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Honestly I can't see how you can come to such an opinion?
If the said lens is out of warranty and there are no parts for it... regrettably that's tough luck. But this applies just as much whether the lens is FA or older legacy lenses, if there are no parts for it... you're pretty much on your own. But I don't see how you can pin this to Hoya encouraging people to buy the DA* 55mm.
This lens has not been out of production for very long. Therefore, it is rather odd that there are no parts available. While I like pentax lenses, customer support and service has been very dodgy in the U.S. and has gotten worse over the past couple of years. The one thing I will say about Nikon is they serviced a camera after warranty because it had been on recall. I was only out of shipping 1-way to NY. It is sometimes easier to get hold of the Pope than some of the a$$-clowns in Colorado.

04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
There is a good chance the distance contact brush might be screwed. Stop toying with it further unless you know what you are doing.

That's a boring and defeatist attitude. Not how I roll

I fixed it. I found the two rings that came unscrewed from each other, just figuring out the best way to attack reassembly. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,713
I'm just a little curious here.
I always thought that the FA-50mm f/1.4 was an incredible lens. However it's the only FA lens I've ever heard people have any problems with.
Is it just because there are so many more out there, or are they just not quite built as good as the others
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm just a little curious here.
I always thought that the FA-50mm f/1.4 was an incredible lens. However it's the only FA lens I've ever heard people have any problems with.
Is it just because there are so many more out there, or are they just not quite built as good as the others
The FA50/1.4 existed well before the digital era and I have never read anyone had them fallen apart. I think Pentax QC is just bad bad bad in recent years. Threadlock had to be properly applied during assembling and many loose focus rings and screws some people reported could be traced back to threadlock issue. The days that the Japanese workers took pride to do their jobs were long gone because they are now MIV.
04-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
Well like I said in the other thread, can you "pop" it back in until it clicks? At least that'll let us know what is broken on it.
04-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,303
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The days that the Japanese workers took pride to do their jobs were long gone because they are now MIV.
What is "MIV"? Never heared or read that abbreviation.

Ben
04-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 387
I would assume MIV = made in vietnam
04-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member
wlachan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,626
QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I would assume MIV = made in vietnam
Yup.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f/1.4, fa, focus, k-mount, k10d, lens, light, line, pentax lens, repair, screw, slr lens, sound
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my lens just fell apart colourful64 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 01-03-2015 10:27 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax F 50mm 1.4 LN, Pentax F 50mm 1.7 mint in the box, Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 Excellent jjdgti Sold Items 9 05-19-2014 05:48 AM
Replacing my FA 35mm F/2 and FA 50mm 1.4 for the FA 43mm 1.9. What do you think? jjdgti Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 03-21-2014 09:49 AM
In India and my lens just fell apart... H. Sapiens Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 11-14-2012 07:55 AM
So my DA40 fell apart Chriffer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 27 09-25-2009 06:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top