Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 04:48 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I disagree. The FA 50 is a plastic lens, made to lower tolerances than the limiteds. There are thousands of them out there -- particularly since a few years ago it was selling for 200 dollars. That being the case, there are bound to be instances where the lenses fail, but that doesn't mean that Made in Vietnam or poor quality control is the reason.

04-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I disagree. The FA 50 is a plastic lens, made to lower tolerances than the limiteds. There are thousands of them out there -- particularly since a few years ago it was selling for 200 dollars. That being the case, there are bound to be instances where the lenses fail, but that doesn't mean that Made in Vietnam or poor quality control is the reason.

it is possible. haven't you watched Gung-Ho? I know it is a movie. but it clearly depicts the reality of human labor and cultural differences. work ethic, to be more specific.

also, the word Gung-Ho itself, determines the outcome between failure and success.
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
What is "MIV"? Never heared or read that abbreviation.

Ben
He meant AIV.

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I would assume MIV = made in vietnam
It should be "Assembled in Vietnam."
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The FA50/1.4 existed well before the digital era and I have never read anyone had them fallen apart. I think Pentax QC is just bad bad bad in recent years. Threadlock had to be properly applied during assembling and many loose focus rings and screws some people reported could be traced back to threadlock issue. The days that the Japanese workers took pride to do their jobs were long gone because they are now MIV.
you have no evidence that proves the japanese workers took pride, nor do you have any evidence that the vietnamese workers dont. your bodies are assembled in the philippines, which isnt all that far from vietnam. you have anything degrading to say about that?

04-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #50
Forum Member

The problem mine had was nothing to do with screws, I think maybe the K-x/K-7 AF motor might be a lot more powerful than previous cameras, cause it seemed like it was slamming out or in when it was focusing.

There are 2 rings that screw together, a gold one that screws to the plastic housing and a silver one that screws to the gold and then to the lens itself. My problem was that the silver one came unscrewed from the gold one, so the lens was now not attached to the housing.

I took it completely apart, screwed them back together and now it focuses and correctly, however I'm having a hell of a time getting the whole thing screwed back in properly to the lens housing because of the aperture prong. The prong slides into the body of the lens, but you can no longer screw the lens in once the prong is in the body or you will snap the prong off.

It seems like you should screw the lens into the body, and then put the prong in, but it doesnt seem like the prong was made to come out after initial assembly. I need to figure the perfect way to screw them back together so that the prong ends up being exactly where it needs to be when it gets close enough to the end.

Sounds complicated, and it is, but it's a lot better than throwing it away! I can't believe some people just through this thing away, such a great lens! If anyone is having a problem, send it my way, i'll buy it off you
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you have no evidence that proves the japanese workers took pride, nor do you have any evidence that the vietnamese workers dont. your bodies are assembled in the philippines, which isnt all that far from vietnam. you have anything degrading to say about that?
stereotyping is not fair, but it doesn't mean that work ethic variations between nationalities doesn't exist. if you have studied sociology and other departments with concerns to the study of specific human culture, you would have a better understanding of the matter. there's no need to get edgy but rather put aside any bias or nationalistic pride and focus on objectivity.

it has been a known fact and has been proven that the Japanese are a workaholic society. work is their world and it would be ironic not to have pride on the thing that they enjoy doing the most. and no, I'm not japanese.

as far as the Toyota defects are concerned, it would be interesting to find out the facts about where the cars were made. but certainly, the decision to recall came from Japan and not from the regional offices and manufacturing plants where the defects were discovered.
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
stereotyping is not fair, but it doesn't mean that work ethic variations between nationalities doesn't exist. if you have studied sociology and other departments with concerns to the study of specific human culture, you would have a better understanding of the matter. there's no need to get edgy but rather put aside any bias or nationalistic pride and focus on objectivity.
My objective thought: before comparing work ethics, I want to know where this broken lens was made. And I only want to know that because chances are excellent that it was made in Japan, making this discussion even more pointless than usual. The member who put the thread in this direction certainly has more than a few complaints about Japan-made lenses.
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #53
Forum Member

My lens was made in Japan....so can we get back on topic now?

04-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
My objective thought: before comparing work ethics, I want to know where this broken lens was made. And I only want to know that because chances are excellent that it was made in Japan, making this discussion even more pointless than usual. The member who put the thread in this direction certainly has more than a few complaints about Japan-made lenses.
of course. that would be nice. but before that, they still have to fix to damn DA* zooms, which are made in you know where.
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
My lens was made in Japan....so can we get back on topic now?
Yes, you are talking about buying defective FA50s that are made in Japan. I dont have one. anyway, good hunting and hope you will find a lot of em.
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #56
Forum Member

Haha no, I meant this :

My FA-50mm f/1.4 just fell apart in my hands

04-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote

it has been a known fact and has been proven that the Japanese are a workaholic society. work is their world and it would be ironic not to have pride on the thing that they enjoy doing the most. and no, I'm not japanese.

as far as the Toyota defects are concerned, it would be interesting to find out the facts about where the cars were made. but certainly, the decision to recall came from Japan and not from the regional offices and manufacturing plants where the defects were discovered.
do you have proof that the vietnamese aren't a workaholic society? do you have proof that a workaholic society will by definition yield a higher net of quality products? do you have any proof that a workaholic society has any actual positive impact on the quality of the goods produced? what evidence do you have that all the good japanese folks assembling those lenses are doing what they love most? your assertions are no better than those of the poster, who's statement I responded to.
04-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
do you have proof that the vietnamese aren't a workaholic society? do you have proof that a workaholic society will by definition yield a higher net of quality products? do you have any proof that a workaholic society has any actual positive impact on the quality of the goods produced? what evidence do you have that all the good japanese folks assembling those lenses are doing what they love most? your assertions are no better than those of the poster, who's statement I responded to.
YES ! because I did my readings and research. and I suggest you do yours as well. asking for proof is a way of telling how clueless you are or the lack of drive to really know what is has and had happened and is happening. your line of questioning is not better nor even relevant at all. in short, the questions that you had presented would only bring a stalemate to the discussion since you want convincing that you refuse to research as well. and I would assume that you would say and think that I cant provide you with any facts. facts are there and are written all over the place, it is up to you to look them up, read and understand them.

I suggest that you go to both countries so that you would exactly know the difference. speak to me again when you get back from your trip. good luck !

p.s. I dont dig patriots. they even consider shit as gold.
04-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Please people, place of manufacture is not the issue here, nor the fact whether this lens is rumored to be discontinued (FA50 f/1.4 is NOT discontinued). The lens assembly was dislodged. Either something broke inside or it took a hit. I was at my local Pentax repair facility awhile back and I have personally seen a MIJ FA77 Ltd as well as MIV DA70 lens come apart. According to the technician, the FA77mm owner had inadvertently put his camera bag down hard, don't know about the DA lens. Both lenses were sent back to Japan for reassembly/service. Suffice to say lenses are mechanical, they do on occasion go wonky.

BTW people in East Asia/South East Asia generally do work very hard and diligently. Give them credit.

Last edited by creampuff; 04-12-2010 at 04:56 PM.
04-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
. . ., nor the fact whether this lens is rumored to be discontinued (FA50 f/1.4 is NOT discontinued). . . .
BTW people in East Asia/South East Asia generally do work very hard and diligently. Give them credit.
Do you have a current reference on the FA 50mm f1.4 still in production? As far as the last sentence, I always have.