Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 01:47 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Do you have a current reference on the FA 50mm f1.4 still in production? As far as the last sentence, I always have.
Yeah, my local Pentax agent keeps ordering the FA50mm f/1.4 from Hoya Japan because the lens keeps getting snapped up by all the new Pentax users we have here. They are all new stock and have the assembled in Vietnam labels on them.

04-13-2010, 05:55 AM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TriCon Quote
The problem mine had was nothing to do with screws, I think maybe the K-x/K-7 AF motor might be a lot more powerful than previous cameras, cause it seemed like it was slamming out or in when it was focusing.

There are 2 rings that screw together, a gold one that screws to the plastic housing and a silver one that screws to the gold and then to the lens itself. My problem was that the silver one came unscrewed from the gold one, so the lens was now not attached to the housing.

I took it completely apart, screwed them back together and now it focuses and correctly, however I'm having a hell of a time getting the whole thing screwed back in properly to the lens housing because of the aperture prong. The prong slides into the body of the lens, but you can no longer screw the lens in once the prong is in the body or you will snap the prong off.

It seems like you should screw the lens into the body, and then put the prong in, but it doesnt seem like the prong was made to come out after initial assembly. I need to figure the perfect way to screw them back together so that the prong ends up being exactly where it needs to be when it gets close enough to the end.

Sounds complicated, and it is, but it's a lot better than throwing it away! I can't believe some people just through this thing away, such a great lens! If anyone is having a problem, send it my way, i'll buy it off you
it is extremely complicated, I was also considering doing it myself and I am very glad I didn't try. The repair guy showed me photos of the process and he had to disassemble it way more than what you did. The entire aperture mechanism was removed, I think. Of course, if you feel you are up to it by all means go ahead, but this is really a job for a professional. check my post (#31) for some details about how my lens was repaired and feel free to contact me if you need more details.
is the contact brush intact? if it's not broken you have a good chance to fix it or have it fixed, but if it is then you will need a replacement and that part is no longer supplied by pentax. It's not impossible to find though...
I agree with you that the K7 motor was slamming this lens and it is quite likely that it caused the lens to split, but this wouldn't have happened with a solid lens. So, manufacturing quality is to blame too in my opinion.
Good luck,
Dan
04-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #63
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
YES ! because I did my readings and research. and I suggest you do yours as well. asking for proof is a way of telling how clueless you are or the lack of drive to really know what is has and had happened and is happening. your line of questioning is not better nor even relevant at all. in short, the questions that you had presented would only bring a stalemate to the discussion since you want convincing that you refuse to research as well. and I would assume that you would say and think that I cant provide you with any facts. facts are there and are written all over the place, it is up to you to look them up, read and understand them.

I suggest that you go to both countries so that you would exactly know the difference. speak to me again when you get back from your trip. good luck !

p.s. I dont dig patriots. they even consider shit as gold.

I needn't take any trip, nor study anything. you made the first statement, that means the burden of proof lies on you. I asked the questions because I question what you said. you give me nothing other than a response saying take trip around the world. you want to make such statements? show the proof to back it up, not just an empty statement attempting to highlight my ignorance. of course im ignorant of the subject, thats why I asked the questions! I never 'refused' to study anything. I hadn't any need to study anything. big difference there. questions dont bring on a stalemate, people withe the (apparent) knowledge to answer the questions but refusing to do so brings on a stalemate.

statements have been made, and thus far absolutely no proof has been therein provided in any attempt to back the said statements up.
04-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
I agree with you that the K7 motor was slamming this lens and it is quite likely that it caused the lens to split, but this wouldn't have happened with a solid lens. So, manufacturing quality is to blame too in my opinion.
Does that mean the K-7 had a more powerful motor than the Z-1p? There wasn't any incident back then, or I was aware of.

04-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So are you telling me that the lens broke because of the cameras autofocus system. I don't know about you but that sounds like crappy manufacturing to me. This is why I only by old MF glass, it lasts a lifetime.
04-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #66
Forum Member

I'm in no way certain that the AF system is what caused it, but I do know that the AF is somewhat of a beast on the newer K's. I know for a fact that it didnt get dropped or mishandled, just that it AF'd, and bam, the lense was in my hand and not in the housing.

I'm going to completely dissassemble it again and see if I can get the aperture prong out. If I can then it's good as new. I already got it working correctly, however it's not screwed it, so it focuses, takes great pics, but the lens can still come out.

Anyone have an exploded pic of the lens? Would help in reassembly.
04-14-2010, 12:20 AM   #67
Banned

I'm in no way certain that the AF system is what caused it, but I do know that the AF is somewhat of a beast on the newer K's. I know for a fact that it didnt get dropped or mishandled, just that it AF'd, and bam, the lense was in my hand and not in the housing.

I'm going to completely dissassemble it again and see if I can get the aperture prong out. If I can then it's good as new. I already got it working correctly, however it's not screwed it, so it focuses, takes great pics, but the lens can still come out.

Anyone have an exploded pic of the lens? Would help in reassembly.
you should be able to get pentax service department to email you an exploded view with parts listing.
04-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Wow.... can't believe it break just like tat!

Hope you find a way to fix it and share your experience here.
The price of FA50 1.4 is sky rocket now ...

04-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #69
Inactive Account

I'll second that. The K7 autofocus motor is definitely more powerful than the K100D and it did slam the lens back and forth, so it's impossible not to link that with the lens falling apart; manufacturing problems? likely, but the japan/vietnam debate that ensued on that is really, really boring, people, and it's cluttering this useful thread, it should be moved somewhere else.

I never had any other Pentax bodies to compare with. But AF with the FA50 is a totally different story on K7 compared to K100D, K7 is really way faster to AF with this lens, something that I can't say I'm noticing with other lenses, like DA35 for example.
04-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #70
Site Supporter

Perhaps this would be a source of parts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/93733-omg-i-dr...ml#post1001745
05-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle an FA 50 1.4 coupled to my K-x for the entire day. It belongs to a friend of a friend, so I tried to be as careful as possible, and this thread was in the back of my mind.

As the day wore on into the night and light levels fell, I kept shooting but the AF was starting to struggle. The lens would go from min to max distance, much like having a lens cap on, and at this point I worried that the thing would fall apart! In the viewfinder, the image "shook" every time it hit the ends of the range. I haven't had this feeling with any other AF lens I've used, but admittingly, I've used very few.

Took great pictures though

Just my two cents.
05-25-2010, 05:26 AM   #72
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to handle an FA 50 1.4 coupled to my K-x for the entire day. It belongs to a friend of a friend, so I tried to be as careful as possible, and this thread was in the back of my mind.

As the day wore on into the night and light levels fell, I kept shooting but the AF was starting to struggle. The lens would go from min to max distance, much like having a lens cap on, and at this point I worried that the thing would fall apart! In the viewfinder, the image "shook" every time it hit the ends of the range. I haven't had this feeling with any other AF lens I've used, but admittingly, I've used very few.

Took great pictures though

Just my two cents.
that's how it started with my lens. from what you describe it didn't take long until it opened up in two pieces...
06-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #73

Well, add me to the list. Took my FA 50mm out for it's first trip last night, and *exactly* the same thing happened. *Exactly*. Went to focus near infinty, heard a loud CLUNK ... then when I pointed it at my feet to focus on something closer, the whole front of the lens fell out exactly as the pictures above. It was a miracle that I managed to catch it.

It sounds like a crock that no parts are available for a lens that's still sold new.

I don't know if it's worth dropping another $100+ on it or not.

Anybody want to buy a gorgeous K10D?
06-25-2010, 10:25 AM   #74

I just sent an email to Eric. We'll see how it goes.

Where do I draw the line on repairing a $265 lens that I can't afford to replace?
06-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sataraid1 Quote
I just sent an email to Eric. We'll see how it goes.

Where do I draw the line on repairing a $265 lens that I can't afford to replace?
buy a cheaper 50/1.7 if you can find one.