Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #31
Inactive Account

I am very happy to let you guys know that the lens was fixed by an extremely capable repair guy I found here in Bucharest. Fortunately, the contact brush was not broken so he just took it apart and put it back together. This sounds simple, but it wasn't; he showed me the photos he took during the dissasembly and it is indeed a very complicated operation. I don't know what was I smoking when I thought I could try it myself, this is definitely something for a professional.

The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense.

Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly; then they should be screwed together and a special vaseline needs to be applied so they don't actually come in contact; the vaseline keeps them apart a certain distance. This is what gives the lens the smooth focusing feel.
Then, the golden ring had to be attached back to the plastic chassis somehow, and this was done with a special glue. Then of course everything is put back together, the lens is calibrated; for that step a Pentax camera is needed of course.

Anyway, the lens is working again and I'm very pleased with this repair. It costed about 100USD and I think it was totally worth it.

02-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
I am very happy to let you guys know that the lens was fixed by an extremely capable repair guy I found here in Bucharest. Fortunately, the contact brush was not broken so he just took it apart and put it back together. This sounds simple, but it wasn't; he showed me the photos he took during the dissasembly and it is indeed a very complicated operation. I don't know what was I smoking when I thought I could try it myself, this is definitely something for a professional.

The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense.

Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly; then they should be screwed together and a special vaseline needs to be applied so they don't actually come in contact; the vaseline keeps them apart a certain distance. This is what gives the lens the smooth focusing feel.
Then, the golden ring had to be attached back to the plastic chassis somehow, and this was done with a special glue. Then of course everything is put back together, the lens is calibrated; for that step a Pentax camera is needed of course.

Anyway, the lens is working again and I'm very pleased with this repair. It costed about 100USD and I think it was totally worth it.
Sounds like very complicated. Good to hear it is now fixed and the price is not bad either. Care for free advertising if he takes mail order so folks here may all benefit?
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
...The reason for the lens coming apart is this: there are two metal rings that are supposed to stay screwed together; one is silver one is golden in colour; the golden one is glued on the plastic chassis of the lens by a glue, or by applying heat (??); in any case, there is nothing to fasten that golden ring to the chassis, like a screw, nothing; it seems to be glued or it just stays there because of friction. What happened is that this golden ring disengaged from the chassis, remaining stuck on the silver one. This probably happened because of a slight decentration, making the friction between the two rings in a certain position higher than the friction keeping the ring on the chassis. In time, this un-stuck the ring from the chassis...so the lens came apart. At least this is what I understood and seeing the pictures all this made sense... .
I think it does too, looking at the photos on the Chinese site.

QuoteQuote:
Putting it back is a major pain, because the screw on the silver ring has multiple start points and you have to find the right one otherwise the lens won't focus properly...
The first time I did this, not knowing it was difficult, I spent about two hours trying to get the parts back together.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it worked out for you.
02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
Care for free advertising if he takes mail order so folks here may all benefit?
I don't think he would mind the free advertising; the only problem is that he's in Bucharest, Romania and I'm not sure how convenient shipping to Romania would be for most people on this forum; also I suppose that good repairmen are available anywhere, so probably shipping stuff to Romania for repairs would not be necessary in most cases. But if anyone wants to get in touch with him, just PM me and I'll be happy to help.

02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #35
Inactive Account

I'm happy it worked out for you!
04-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
Forum Member

Damnit, this just happened to me, anyone able to successfully screw it back on? I've taken the whole thing apart, and get it almost back together, but it just seems stuck and I can't get it to screw on =/

04-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a good chance the distance contact brush might be screwed. Stop toying with it further unless you know what you are doing.

04-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Honestly I can't see how you can come to such an opinion?
If the said lens is out of warranty and there are no parts for it... regrettably that's tough luck. But this applies just as much whether the lens is FA or older legacy lenses, if there are no parts for it... you're pretty much on your own. But I don't see how you can pin this to Hoya encouraging people to buy the DA* 55mm.
This lens has not been out of production for very long. Therefore, it is rather odd that there are no parts available. While I like pentax lenses, customer support and service has been very dodgy in the U.S. and has gotten worse over the past couple of years. The one thing I will say about Nikon is they serviced a camera after warranty because it had been on recall. I was only out of shipping 1-way to NY. It is sometimes easier to get hold of the Pope than some of the a$$-clowns in Colorado.
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
There is a good chance the distance contact brush might be screwed. Stop toying with it further unless you know what you are doing.

That's a boring and defeatist attitude. Not how I roll

I fixed it. I found the two rings that came unscrewed from each other, just figuring out the best way to attack reassembly. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
04-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm just a little curious here.
I always thought that the FA-50mm f/1.4 was an incredible lens. However it's the only FA lens I've ever heard people have any problems with.
Is it just because there are so many more out there, or are they just not quite built as good as the others
04-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm just a little curious here.
I always thought that the FA-50mm f/1.4 was an incredible lens. However it's the only FA lens I've ever heard people have any problems with.
Is it just because there are so many more out there, or are they just not quite built as good as the others
The FA50/1.4 existed well before the digital era and I have never read anyone had them fallen apart. I think Pentax QC is just bad bad bad in recent years. Threadlock had to be properly applied during assembling and many loose focus rings and screws some people reported could be traced back to threadlock issue. The days that the Japanese workers took pride to do their jobs were long gone because they are now MIV.
04-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Well like I said in the other thread, can you "pop" it back in until it clicks? At least that'll let us know what is broken on it.
04-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The days that the Japanese workers took pride to do their jobs were long gone because they are now MIV.
What is "MIV"? Never heared or read that abbreviation.

Ben
04-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I would assume MIV = made in vietnam
04-12-2010, 04:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
I would assume MIV = made in vietnam
Yup.