Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 02:56 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I think the only reason the Bigmos is more expensive than the Bigma is the OS. As far as OS lenses for Pentax and other camera's with in-body stabilization, I recall reading somewhere that Pentax is actually working on a way to get it working and let the user decide which way they want to go.
i can get the bigmos cheaper than the bigma so having OS in the lens that i cant use would be a frustration not slap in the face or perhaps should i say the wallet

however the fact that sigma has themselves released a lens which lets pentax users use the OS does give me some hope and if as you say pentax are working on it too then there is the possibility that it could be used at some point - but that makes me wonder if i should wait for 6 months and see if an official OS version is released for pentax mount

-----------------------------------------------------

the 100-300mm with a teleconverter as appealing as the reported sharpness is - is probably pushing the budget a bit too far and losing some of the reach in the process

one last question about the lens mentioned - how does the autofocus speed and accuracy compare between them?

10-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
i can get the bigmos cheaper than the bigma so having OS in the lens that i cant use would be a frustration not slap in the face or perhaps should i say the wallet

however the fact that sigma has themselves released a lens which lets pentax users use the OS does give me some hope and if as you say pentax are working on it too then there is the possibility that it could be used at some point - but that makes me wonder if i should wait for 6 months and see if an official OS version is released for pentax mount

the 100-300mm with a teleconverter as appealing as the reported sharpness is - is probably pushing the budget a bit too far and losing some of the reach in the process

one last question about the lens mentioned - how does the autofocus speed and accuracy compare between them?

I can only comment on the autofocus performance of the Bigma.

I've used it both on a DS and a K-7. In generaly its fine in good light and shorter focal lengths once you start to go long autofocus is merely OK due to the small aperture not letting that much light in for th AF sensor to work with. It can also be a bit hesitant.

The K-7's more powerful AF motor and better algorithims really improve its AF over the DS though. And the Bigma is still prefectly useable with both cameras but don't expect miracles.

MF with the Bigma is a nightmare because of the very shallow DoF and the lens's focus ring has a relatively short throw.

As I understand AF on the 150-500 is better but by how much and in what regard I'm not sure.
10-20-2009, 05:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I can only comment on the autofocus performance of the Bigma.

I've used it both on a DS and a K-7. In generaly its fine in good light and shorter focal lengths once you start to go long autofocus is merely OK due to the small aperture not letting that much light in for th AF sensor to work with. It can also be a bit hesitant.

The K-7's more powerful AF motor and better algorithims really improve its AF over the DS though. And the Bigma is still prefectly useable with both cameras but don't expect miracles.

MF with the Bigma is a nightmare because of the very shallow DoF and the lens's focus ring has a relatively short throw.

As I understand AF on the 150-500 is better but by how much and in what regard I'm not sure.
The old istDS is really not a measure for AF performance at all. On the K10 and especially the K20 the Bigma is very useable under good light. In very dull light it has the obvious problems, any such slow lens will cause. As the 50-500 and the 150-500 both only have f/6.3 at the long end, they should perform very much en par with scre-driver AF - HSM/SDM may be a different story, as the lens has more influence on AF function, than the in-camera screwdriver mechanism.

Personally I don't find MF too bad, but my only comparisson at that focal length would be older manual lenses, which have a very long focusing throw. That might be more exacting, but is very slow to use.

Ben
10-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Is either lens internal focussing? I can't find any reference to IF in Sigma's specs, so I assume not? I'm asking because in a review I read, they claimed the Bigma wasn't a true 500mm lens. Sorry I have no idea where I read this.

10-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
As the 50-500 and the 150-500 both only have f/6.3 at the long end, they should perform very much en par with scre-driver AF...
The current 150-500mm HSM does not support screw-drive AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Is either lens internal focussing?
I don't know about the 50-500, but the 150-500 HSM is.

The 150-500 HSM is amazing. It is big and heavy alright, but very handholdable. If I'm not in a hurry, I can handhold it down to 1/40 sec with a K10D body.

Focus is fast and positive (less hunting). It focuses much faster than my old Sigma 135-400mm. I can't quantify this, but I think my K10D focuses faster with the Sigma 150-500 than with the Pentax DA* 50-135.

The only minor complain I have about the 150-500 HSM is that it's difficult to zoom when handheld. But I think this is just a natural limitation of heavy lenses when not supported by tripod/monopod.

Here's a quick and dirty test photo: Sigma 150-500mm HSM at 500mm, F/6.3 (full aperture) - K10D handheld at 1/40 sec, ISO 1600 (not K10D's best). JPEG directly from camera, no post processing.

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question for the 150-500mm users .. is it an EX lens?

Thanks.
10-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
I'm not sure what 'EX' means.

The marking on the lens says, "SIGMA DG 150-500MM APO HSM."
10-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #23

Original Poster
no i dont think so - the 50-500 is supposed to be an ex lens but not the 150-500

10-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote

Thanks.
no it's not an EX but the Bigma is an EX
10-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
no it's not an EX but the Bigma is an EX
I realise the Bigma is (look at my sig ) but wasn't sure on the 150-500mm.

Thanks.
10-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Have you looked in the used section of SRS?
They have a 170-500mm for a reasonable price (for the UK anyway), may be worth giving them a ring. Have seen some photos taken with one of those and although a basic lens it gives some excellent results.
10-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Is either lens internal focussing? I can't find any reference to IF in Sigma's specs, so I assume not? I'm asking because in a review I read, they claimed the Bigma wasn't a true 500mm lens. Sorry I have no idea where I read this.
The Bigma 50-500 is an IF lens. It is also an EX lens, with the accordingly high build standard. Nevertheless, zooming is not internal (as in the 70-200 or 100-300), so the Bigma extends, when going to the long end. Also, the zoom lock is a needed feature, as after some use, when the lens is "broken in", it has some "zoom creep", no, I would describe it as "zoom bang", if the lens hangs vertically down... This is about my only complaint.

Ben
10-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I just wanted to come by and post a link to this gallery I am currently uploading. At least 1200 shots I took the first weekend I had my Bigmos. It was for a Dog Show here in town and I was all over the map settings wise, but it was fun and few of the posted shots have had any editing. The only thing that bears mentioning is these were NOT taking with a Pentax mount Bigmos it was my 40D, still, it will give an idea of the images w/o any time learning the lens...

Lompoc Dog Show 2008 - BreckLundin's Place