Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Adam,

I assume you read my Italy "report" from last month. Don't have the same lenses you have access to, but general experiences might be helpful.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5636-experiences-p...taly-tour.html
You've got some great comments in there- I'll probably be using the 85mm as much as you used the 21mm. Unless I find myself in a city like London or New York, I prefer to use normal or short tele lenses instead of wide-angles.

Last year in london, I used my 20-35mm 100% of the time. This year, it's being replaced by the (slightly larger) 12-24mm, but I could still decide to take both.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMass:
Hmmm....if I were packing for you, I think I'd pack the 12-24, the 50 macro, and the 80-200. I'd also toss in a teleconverter and a long extension tube, if you have one.
I've scratched the idea of bringing a teleconverter, and since the 50mm can already come as close as 19.5cm from the subject, I doubt the tubes would do me any good. It's the 100mm that I'm packing

Yesterday evening, I tried mounting the 80-200mm as well as the 200mm prime. The prime was a lot easier to hold and carry around, but I think having the extra reach @ 80mm would outweigh that burden. On the other hand, having both the 85mm and 80-200mm would be somewhat redundant.

The "for sure" list has now expanded to:

-12-24mm
-85mm
-100mm macro

What's left to choose from is:

-50mm F1.7
-80-200mm F2.8
-200mm F2.8
-28-70mm F2.8

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote

I've scratched the idea of bringing a teleconverter, and since the 50mm can already come as close as 19.5cm from the subject, I doubt the tubs would do me any good. It's the 100mm that I'm packing

Since you like shooting with macros and telephotos, I was thinking the converter and extension tube (when used on the 50 macro and 80-200) would give you a lot of flexibility in those areas.
05-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Since you like shooting with macros and telephotos, I was thinking the converter and extension tube (when used on the 50 macro and 80-200) would give you a lot of flexibility in those areas.
I can see myself using the teleconverter on the 80-200mm, but what would the purpose of the tubes be on the 50mm?

I'd be getting around 2x magnification, which would literally require sticking the lens into the subject (most likely a flower). With AF gone and no tripod, that setup would be hopeless.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I can see myself using the teleconverter on the 80-200mm, but what would the purpose of the tubes be on the 50mm?

I'd be getting around 2x magnification, which would literally require sticking the lens into the subject (most likely a flower). With AF gone and no tripod, that setup would be hopeless.

No tripod? For some reason, I thought you'd said you were taking along a travel tripod. Guess I must have dreamed it. lol That's what I get for doing "drive-by postings" while I'm at work!

05-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The tripod would only be for tele shots if I decide to take the 80-200mm, otherwise it's staying home.

Adam

05-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

You've got some great comments in there- I'll probably be using the 85mm as much as you used the 21mm. Unless I find myself in a city like London or New York, I prefer to use normal or short tele lenses instead of wide-angles.

Last year in london, I used my 20-35mm 100% of the time. This year, it's being replaced by the (slightly larger) 12-24mm, but I could still decide to take both.

Yesterday evening, I tried mounting the 80-200mm as well as the 200mm prime. The prime was a lot easier to hold and carry around, but I think having the extra reach @ 80mm would outweigh that burden. On the other hand, having both the 85mm and 80-200mm would be somewhat redundant.

-12-24mm
-85mm
-100mm macro

-50mm F1.7
-80-200mm F2.8
-200mm F2.8
-28-70mm F2.8
I like to travel light and avoid duplicate focal lengths. The 12-24mm has quickly become my most-used lens and I wouldn't leave home without it. My basic travel kit is now the DA 12-24mm f4, the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro, and the FA 135mm f2.8. If I need indoor, low light capability I might bring either the A 28mm f2 or the FA 77mm f1.8.

It really makes no sense to bring both an 85mm and a 100mm as their field of view are very similar. If you insist on taking the 85mm, then I'd take the 50mm macro to go with it. If you insist on taking the 100mm macro, then I'd take the 50mm f1.7 to go with it. These combinations give you one macro lens and one fast lens in the short to medium telephoto range, and covers the gap between the 12-24mm zoom and either the 85mm or the 100mm. The 80-200mm f2.8 would be nice, but I wouldn't want to drag a 3+ lbs lens around with me on vacation. I wouldn't get very much use out of a 200mm fixed focal length and I like to stick to a 3 lens travel kit, but if you like a longer lens then adding the 200mm would give you a 4 lens kit with reasonable weight and the reach from ultra-wide to long telephoto.
05-31-2007, 10:14 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
I like to travel light and avoid duplicate focal lengths. The 12-24mm has quickly become my most-used lens and I wouldn't leave home without it. My basic travel kit is now the DA 12-24mm f4, the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro, and the FA 135mm f2.8. If I need indoor, low light capability I might bring either the A 28mm f2 or the FA 77mm f1.8.

It really makes no sense to bring both an 85mm and a 100mm as their field of view are very similar. If you insist on taking the 85mm, then I'd take the 50mm macro to go with it. If you insist on taking the 100mm macro, then I'd take the 50mm f1.7 to go with it. These combinations give you one macro lens and one fast lens in the short to medium telephoto range, and covers the gap between the 12-24mm zoom and either the 85mm or the 100mm. The 80-200mm f2.8 would be nice, but I wouldn't want to drag a 3+ lbs lens around with me on vacation. I wouldn't get very much use out of a 200mm fixed focal length and I like to stick to a 3 lens travel kit, but if you like a longer lens then adding the 200mm would give you a 4 lens kit with reasonable weight and the reach from ultra-wide to long telephoto.
You've got a point with that lens gap, and after having a look at my bag options, it looks like I'll need to change things quite a bit...

My new lens setup is as follows:
-FA* 28-70mm
-FA* 85mm
-FA* 80-200mm
-DA 12-24mm

That will get me covered from 28-200mm with two lenses at F2.8. I'll be able to use both the 28-70mm and the 85mm as close-up lenses, replacing the macro, which will have to stay. I'll rarely be using the 12-24mm, but it'll definitely come in handy.

Thanks for all the tips! What do you think about my final setup?

I have Pentax cases for the 3 smaller lenses (one of them can accomodate the 85mm with the hood on!) and a tamrac barrel for the 80-200mm. Since the barrel is detachable from my main bag, I'll easily be able to leighten my load!

Adam

05-31-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

What do you think about my final setup?
Pretty much what i was going to recommend in the first place. Amazing glass to cover pretty much every situation.

06-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup. Almost everything, except for macro magnification beyond .25x, is covered with that lens set!

I've got all the lenses packed and with filters on (except the 28-70mm) now, but it looks it'll be hard to transport the lens hoods becuase they don't fit along with the lenses in the Pentax cases. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Adam

06-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I've scratched the idea of bringing a teleconverter, and since the 50mm can already come as close as 19.5cm from the subject, I doubt the tubes would do me any good. It's the 100mm that I'm packing

-12-24mm
-85mm
-100mm macro

-50mm F1.7
-80-200mm F2.8
-200mm F2.8
-28-70mm F2.8
Take the 28-70, and the 80-200 plus the TC

(almost sounds like my origonal recommendation, but I would really consider leaving the 85 mm, as the two zooms would be good enough
06-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Take the 28-70, and the 80-200 plus the TC

(almost sounds like my origonal recommendation, but I would really consider leaving the 85 mm, as the two zooms would be good enough
The 85mm is light and very small without the hood, so it's definitely coming with me. I can't hold the 3lb 80-200mm for more than a few minutes at a time

Adam

06-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Mo, I'm on assignment now and have been using the 28-70 FA* as my walk around lens. It is perfect optically for 90% of what I've run into - but I have to tell you - the K10 with the grip and that lens takes a very wide and very soft shock absorber type strap. It is a real heavyweight. On the up side, it's proving to be a fine set up on a monopod and gaining me a lot of low light stuff. Unless you're really into macro stuff, I'd leave the 100mm at home. I constantly pack my 100mm 2.8 as a "just in case" lens, yet I never take it out of the bag. It does all of its work in the studio. My other fall back lens is that 28-105. Besides those two, all you need is a super wide. Just my 2-cents. Ralph
06-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ralphl Quote
Mo, I'm on assignment now and have been using the 28-70 FA* as my walk around lens. It is perfect optically for 90% of what I've run into - but I have to tell you - the K10 with the grip and that lens takes a very wide and very soft shock absorber type strap. It is a real heavyweight. On the up side, it's proving to be a fine set up on a monopod and gaining me a lot of low light stuff. Unless you're really into macro stuff, I'd leave the 100mm at home. I constantly pack my 100mm 2.8 as a "just in case" lens, yet I never take it out of the bag. It does all of its work in the studio. My other fall back lens is that 28-105. Besides those two, all you need is a super wide. Just my 2-cents. Ralph
I hope the 28-70mm serves me well, but I'm also taking the other lenses for night photo as well as tele shots.

Everything's set in the bag now, and I'll be on my way tomorrow!

Adam

06-03-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
Inactive Account

trip

Bon Voyage.
06-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks! My next post will likely be from Europe!

I like post-processing all my photos on the spot, so I will definitely be updating mosphotos.com as soon as I get some good pics

Adam