Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

New lens-Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye

After much deliberation between a Sigma 10-20, Pentax Fisheye 10-17 and Pentax 12-24 I went ahead and purchased a Pentax 10-17 fisheye. I've used it a bit today and I love it.

It's almost a 2 for 1 lens...wide angle at the higher numbers and fisheye at the lower #'s.

I was a long time follower of the former Editor of Pop Photography, the late Herbert Keppler.

I've probably read his stuff since around the late '60's. Always good advice.

One of his favourite lens were the Pentax fisheyes and after using mine a short time I can see why .

Very versatile, well made (seems mostly aluminum and of course glass), very good assessments and anecdotal reports by actual users. This lens is also very sharp.

I may find that it is the new standard lens for my aging K10D. I have already swapped my 16-45 Pentax lens off the K10D and on to my KM (K2000).

I know it's not advertised as a Macro...but this baby seems to have some moderate Macro capabilities too.

10-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, 17cm close focusing - but that's quite expected for a superwide.
It's one of my most brilliant lenses - colour and contrast are superb, and the lens itself well built.
Congrats.
10-19-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sure, you can do fun "macro"-like things with it:

10-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think this is going to be my next lens ...LBA strikes again!

10-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Basic lens

The fish eye is my basic, walk around lens. I am mainly an outdoors shooter and find it the best of my wider angle lenses. What everyone says about a "Twofer" is quite right. At 10mm you get stunning wides, and if taken with care and when possible, little evidence of the curve in the horizon line. At 17mm it is a fine wide angle with little or no distortion. Plus, you get to adjust between 10 and 17mm to get the effect you want.

Great color, sharp image, a super lens. I would consider it a "must have" in a kit!

Don
10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My 10-17 is with me all the time also. The distortion can be worked around with framing and I have used it for some inside shots which came out very nice. The 12-24 is on my wish list also but one thing at a time. The fisheye turned up here in the marketplace at the right price. I'm getting excited because this weekend I have the oppurtunity to try to get the shot I wanted the lens for to begin with and thats getting a full 8 person rowing shell in a straight down shot from a bridge.
10-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments. I share the enthusiasm those who have posted for this unique lens. Since I bought it a few days ago, I've taken well over 300 pictures with it ..attached ..to my K10D.

I've very impressed with the image quality and the wiiiiide angles.

I have taken the Pentax 16-45 lens that I used as a standard lens off my K10D and replaced it with the 10-17 FE.

I took the kit 18-55 off my KM (K2000) and it now sports the 16-45.

Douglas of Sweden...what a wonderful shot of that Honeybee....given how close you have to get to subjects with the FE...I'm thinking you must of been extremely close to the Bee.