Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #1

DA* 16-50mm or Sigma 18-50mm F2.8

Hi Everyone

I currently own a Sigma EX DG 18-50mm f/2.8 lens and am considering selling that and going the Pentax lens instead.

I am just wondering if I will notice ANY benefit at all.

Is the Pentax lens a Macro like the Sigma?
Does the Pentax focus any faster?
Is the IQ any better than the Sigma?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

10-19-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
Hi Everyone

I currently own a Sigma EX DG 18-50mm f/2.8 lens and am considering selling that and going the Pentax lens instead.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
I have never used the Sigma, so cannot do a comparison, but I can tell you:

The DA* 16-50 has a minimum focus distance of 0.30 of a metre.

I would describe the AF (USM) of the 16-50 as on the slow side.

I would describe the image quality of the 16-50 as outstanding.

Have a look on my flickr site to see recent pictures (Yellowstone) taken with it
10-19-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CrazyNuts Quote
Hi Everyone

I have gone exactly the same route, just that I also kept the Sigma - which is a lucky incidence, as my Pentax gave up mechanically after four months and is in repair...

There are three advantages of ther Pentax DA over the Sigma:
1. it is noticeably wider with 16mm minimum fl. This saves a lot of lens changing for me.
2. the feel of the lens is certainly that of better built. But as reality shows, the Sigma never broke down, the Pentax did.
3. the SDM is really silent. I value that highly.

The advantages of the Sigma (I have the older non-Macro version) are:
1. low price
2. smaller with smaller filter thread (67mm compared to the Pentax' 77mm)
3. robust

In terms of sharpness I cannot find much of a difference. In terms of contrast they are also pretty much en par.

There is a slight difference in colour rendition. But I guess, this is highly subjective and I did not do any measurements. So I find the Pentax delivers slightly more vivid and pleasing colours. But nothing one could not adjust with presets during RAW-processing.

The wider angle of the Pentax and the silent operation were worth the investment for me, but that does not say, that it is a "better" lens. On the other hand, the Sigma is easier to carry around and takes up less space in the photo bag, which can be an advantage of its own.

Ben
10-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Think I'll stick with my Sigma in that case.

I can't justify spending double the cost of the Sigma on the Pentax here in AU, especially when you consider IQ between the two is almost identical.

Oh well

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

10-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #5

I went with the Sigma for many of the reasons Ben mentions.

However I just bought the Pentax. Now I'll lose money selling the Sigma. If you even think the Pentax is nice, get it or you lose out buying the Sigma, selling it, then buying the Pentax. I just learned that. PM me with an offer on the Sigma if you want to go that route (out for a week, with the Pentax, so don't expect a quick response).
10-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 713alan Quote
I went with the Sigma for many of the reasons Ben mentions.

However I just bought the Pentax. Now I'll lose money selling the Sigma. If you even think the Pentax is nice, get it or you lose out buying the Sigma, selling it, then buying the Pentax. I just learned that. PM me with an offer on the Sigma if you want to go that route (out for a week, with the Pentax, so don't expect a quick response).
I'm sorry, your post didn't make any sense to me

I already own the sigma (had it for 18 months), I was just thinking about going Pentax.
10-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although not quite the same as Sigma, I had a Pentax 16-45 f4 for nearly 10 months before buying a used but excellent copy of the 16-50 f2.8 just a few weeks ago.

I find the 16-50 to be as capable as or better than the 16-45 in just about everything, plus it does a fabulous job as a portrait lens with a slightly increased reach, and I find photos to be extremely sharp even wide open at the long end.

The SDM and weather sealing, of course, are a bonus but even otherwise, I think the 16-50 is a great lens and I am happy to have bought my first DA*.

10-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting conversation here...I am in the same situation - bought the DA * 50-135 and love it - need to replace the kit lens with something faster
10-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #9

I'm interested in this discussion as well. I bought my Sigma 18-50 2.8 used shortly after buying my k200d and have suffered some remorse,( or grass is greener syndrome.) I mean to say, although it is my favorite walk- around lens I wonder if my money would have been better spent with the Pentax 16-50 2.8. I bought the Sigma based off of some reviews, and found it used from Amazon, for a fraction of the cost of the Pentax. -But- the SDM, weathersealing, and IQ of the Pentax is really attractive. Even though I have never read of any comparison between the two in relation to IQ. -Then- there's the QC problems that are all over the place about the Pentax. It seems you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good copy, with out centering defects, and if you do there is an eminant possibility of the SDM failing. This makes me think that I should be happy with what I have, besides the fact I'm broke. If there were not much difference in IQ, than I might be content to sit tight until I hit the lottery.
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never having tried the Sigma, I can't make any form of comparison, but I will add to the number of users who are happy with the Pentax 16-50.

Macro? Not really, but is close focus-capable.
Focusing? Not faster, but probably similar as a screw-drive lens in the same focal range (like the DA 16-45)
IQ? Here is where the 16-50 shines IMO. Microcontrast, colours and 3D effect are all pertinent in results from the 16-50. My examples of this are here: Portraits - a set on Flickr (except for the first photo in the collection)
10-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Inactive Account

i bought DA* 16-50 from ritz, quite good
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Never having tried the Sigma, I can't make any form of comparison, but I will add to the number of users who are happy with the Pentax 16-50.

Macro? Not really, but is close focus-capable.
Focusing? Not faster, but probably similar as a screw-drive lens in the same focal range (like the DA 16-45)
IQ? Here is where the 16-50 shines IMO. Microcontrast, colours and 3D effect are all pertinent in results from the 16-50. My examples of this are here: Portraits - a set on Flickr (except for the first photo in the collection)
Thanks for your link

To be honest, I get very similar results with my Sigma as you do with the Pentax.

The cost of the Pentax here in AU is currently DOUBLE of the Sigma, though I can't say there is double the difference in IQ between the two.

I will definitely be keeping my Sigma until I find something better for a similar price.