Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #1

F 35-80mm 4-5.6

So I stopped at goodwill yesterday while taking my son to see his grandparents and found this lens. Had the clerk hold it for me while it looked around the rest of the store and jumped on the iphone to check the reviews. With a rating of 3.5 or so, I figured it would be a complete dog. But it was only $10 bucks, so I thought I would give it a whirl. I could take it back if I didn't like it. Brought it home, slapped it on my camera and put a flash on. Everyone's number one complaint about the lens was that it was soft wide open. Maybe I got a good version. I zoomed in it looked pretty sharp to me. Even the colors on AWB seemed pretty spot on. It doesn't seem soft in the least. If anything, it seems like the DOF is actually a little smaller. I normally will only pick up lenses that receive relatively high marks.
So now I'm wondering if a) I got a really good copy, b) people are way too critical, c) this lens is good with a flash or d) my eyes are going south way too early. Anyway, I wasn't sure how many people only buy lenses due to their ratings here and wanted to say that I like this lens. Granted, it's a little slow, but a perfect lens to use when friends want to borrow my camera and I don't have to worry. The K10D seems pretty hard to break, lenses on the other hand are a little easier. Just my $.02

Patrick

10-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Patrick -

I like mine a lot too. Maybe some batches were better than others? Or maybe some users have higher standard than mine, I don't know. For using outdoors or with a flash, its not bad. And for $10 or under, it's practically cheaper than a body cap. :-)
10-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this was my mainstay lens for about 8 years when I got my first SLR, no money for equipment and went around snapping pictures just for the fun of it. Got quite decent stuff out of it. sample shots below:

Anyway, the poor IQ is more from the low res scanning, rather than lens quality.