Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Planning a revamp of my lens line-up: Opinions sorted.

I am enjoying the small package, that is the K-7, DA21 and FA43. I took this combo to Vegas and enjoyed photography. So, this combo will stay.

What I don't like is carrying and changing more than two lenses. It is not the weight at all. If it is just the one lens, I don't mind carrying the sigma 100-300 all day long. But, I hate keep tracking of all of the fiddly parts with multiple lenses. Remove lens cap, end caps, lens hood, filters (sometimes), and then keeping track of all this with the lens being removed and the lens being put on etc...I hate this. I did some minor hikes yesterday with the lens bag, and after a couple of attempts never changed lenses. So, I am thinking of changing my lens set-up.

I really don't know whether I need any telephoto lens. I will never print all those animal shots I take (It's just for fun for viewing in the screen, and to test my skills). Unless these telephoto images are of almost PPG quality, I don't even enjoy them. So, most of the times the 300 is too short and the 100 too long to get very high qulaity images. I love the lens it even works well with 1.4 TC's, but I am planning to give up on telephotos and this may have to go.

I can't get rid of the FA77. To me this is useful only in limited situations, but I still need to keep it, as it is magic in those rare instances. Absolutely no lens can do what it does in those limited instnaces. I love the F-135 and it has to stay as well.

So, I will have the DA21, FA43, FA77 and F135. If I know for sure I don't need anything wider than 21 and longer than 43, then I am set, I will carry those two. If I am in doubt, then I may have to get a zoom. I am considering the DA*16-50/2.8 SDM or the DA17-70 F4 SDM. For the next lens the DA* 60-250 F4 when I know I might need something longer.

The FA77 and the F135 and the sigma 10-20 will stay in the bag, but will rarely be taken out. Sigma 10-20 probably will be used ten times ever, but when I need the 10mm it needs to be there. If I know I will be fine with 21 and 43, they will be in my camera and the pocket, otherwise I will take either the 16-50 or 17-70. The sigma 100-300 will be gone, and I will carry the 60-250. 60 would be wide enough for most outdoor portraits and 250 with my 1.4 TC if I really need the long end. (A GBH was standing as still as it can, not too far from me, and I got some nice captures, but nothing really spectacular....may be it was the harsh light, but I am giving up on telephotos.....I don't really enjoy it much, and no lens is long enough), so the 60-250 is the better choice.

I've had the 18-250, but it is not an option.

Plan: Sell the FA*24/2, F28/2.8 and the Sigma 100-300 F4 and buy the DA*16-50 or DA17-70 and the DA60-250. 16-50 and 60-250 will be a nice two lens set-up with flexibility. The 21 and fa 43 for ultiamte IQ. The 77, 135 and 10-20 will stay in the bag for those odd situations. (Next time I go to the same hiking spot, I will take the 16-50, 60-250 and the sigma 10-20 in the bag, and it would have been perfect.....but, at Vegas the DA21 and FA43 was perfect...so my two lens need, seems to work out with this set-up)What do you guy's think....anyone gone through a similar thought process ?

Last edited by pcarfan; 10-19-2009 at 09:34 AM.
10-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Did not changing lenses result in a lower-quality photo outing? Did you miss opportunities to take pictures? If not, don't worry about changing your kit.

If you do want changes, though, I'll suggest buying another body. You seem to love prime lenses; even though the 16-50 & 60-250 would be an excellent setup, it won't be the same experience as shooting primes. With three bodies (and three lenses), you can have lots of flexibility with focal lengths, plus more battery life and digital space for photos before having to fiddle with those bits.

Seems to me that the 21, 43, & 100-300 all mounted on cameras, ready to go, with the 10-20 and 77 waiting in the wings, would be a perfect everyday bag for you. For low light, the 24, 43, & 77; for telephoto, the 100-300 with TC, 135, & 77; for wide, the 10-20, 21, 43. What's not to love?
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Seems you're going for a 'dual' set. One primes, the other zooms.
That's what I tried for as well.
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Did not changing lenses result in a lower-quality photo outing? Did you miss opportunities to take pictures? If not, don't worry about changing your kit.

If you do want changes, though, I'll suggest buying another body. You seem to love prime lenses; even though the 16-50 & 60-250 would be an excellent setup, it won't be the same experience as shooting primes. With three bodies (and three lenses), you can have lots of flexibility with focal lengths, plus more battery life and digital space for photos before having to fiddle with those bits.

Seems to me that the 21, 43, & 100-300 all mounted on cameras, ready to go, with the 10-20 and 77 waiting in the wings, would be a perfect everyday bag for you. For low light, the 24, 43, & 77; for telephoto, the 100-300 with TC, 135, & 77; for wide, the 10-20, 21, 43. What's not to love?
Thank you for willing to sort this out for me. Multiple cameras is a nice idea. A couple of concerns. First, how do I protect myself from my wife once I do that ....just kidding, well! sort of.

But, seriously I am thinking of selling some gear and replacing them with others for pretty much the same cost. So, I am not ready for mutiple bodies, but say if I were to go on a safari or something I will take my K10D and K-7. I used my FA 24/2 most of the times, but at times I could have used wider and longer lenses, eventhough I was mostly taking snapshots (but, I am ok with the 24 alone, great focla length..you do make a good point here and let me think this through). So, the zooms will be used for snapshots like situations. If I am taking serious landscapes, I will have a tripod with me and havd no problems taking my time with what ever primes and the rest. The FA24/2 is not needed for snapshots.

It is during an outing where it is crowded, no place to setup a tripod, waiting in line to get that shot with the waterfalls, cave etc. Here I am holding a prime with no leeway, just for a family snapshot. I think in these crowded situations where I cannot get the ultimate IQ, a zoom is handy. I love the 16-50 rendering, just love it, but I am seriously worried about QC and half the time I do remove a lens with the camera ON, and this I hear fries the SDM in the 16-50. I don't think I will yearn for better IQ when i use it in casual situaions for a 5X7 print. But, worried about whether I will get a good copy of the 16-50.

I am hating telephotos as it is never long enough, and like I said it is not really my major passion. So, the 60-250 is versatile for family shots with the 60mm.

But, I just may keep my current set-up for a little longer and not make decsions on a one wknd. trip.

10-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Similar thought process???
I'm in process like this constantly!
For me it's primes vs zooms and I settled on primes with the only exception being 10-20 (as you, I do appreciate 10mm!).
Back to you. If you love 21 + 43 why would you want 16-50???
If you love 21, it makes sense to sell FA*24 (preferable to me ). The gap is too close, though they are different lenses. If you're happy with f3.2 and don't need wider than 43 and fast, there's no need for 24/2 beast to take space in bag.
As for tele, I do appreciate zooms in that category and especialy their flexibility, but sizewise I'm amazed by FA*300. It's probably half the size of 100-300, frankly it's just a bit bigger than 50-135. (I still have to take the pic for you wiht 10-20 w 300 so you can see the size - I haven't forgotten, just don't have the time).
So, obviously you like primes, and good IQ, you have some great lenses already. If you don't mind gap between 21 & 43 then in your place I'd go for:
10-20, 21, 43, 77, 135 and try to get small 300 (F*/FA*)
If you want to bridge the gap between 21 &43 look at 31ltd, you won't be dissapointed!
I never understood buying good kit and travel kit. I buy good lenses to provide me with good shots when I'm on the move. Do I miss some because I use primes? Of course, but am I more creative because I use primes? 100% Plus keeper ratio from good lenses is great especialy if they are lenses you like and you know.

sorry for kind of messy reply but I've had long and boring day at work...
anyway, if your 24/2 or 28/2.8 will be on the move PM me please... nice please

BR
Peter
10-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

PS: if you want to use zooms for snapshots, don't buy DA*s
IMO to have heavy $$$ sitting on the self to be used at snapshot times isn't wisest (reason my DA* went). Get DA WRs if you concerned about weather. For snapshots they are plenty good and you'll have bigger budget towards "serious" lenses...
10-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Seems you're going for a 'dual' set. One primes, the other zooms.
That's what I tried for as well.
Yeah!, this is sort of what is making sense at this time, a dual set-up.
10-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Peter, thank you for your post. I am absolutely kicking myself for not getting the WR kit lens with my k-7, the dumbest decision ever for me. I don't know what i was thinking. I was so glad that i got my K10D without the kit lens as i had the 18-250, and I was darn proud of myself for avoiding the kit lens, then blindly did the same with the K-7. Soon after I realized my bone headed move in not having any WR lens, but it was too late. Oh! well!...I will let you know if I decide to sell the 24 or 28. 24 is a very nice focal length (what I think an image will look like from looking at a scene is exactly what i get at 24, pretty nice.) , but I really haven't made up my mind on whether I like it or not yet.

I know the 31 is great. My favorite is the 43 and then the 77. This and the 135 are the three lenses I am truly and absolutely think are perfect lenses for me. I know I will love the 31, but the prices are high now, and I've always thought it is not wide enough, and will end up replacing my 43. Also, it is a large lens.

Anyhow, as I am giving up on telephotos, why keep the 100-300?, I'd rather get the 60-250 for the wide end. Also, last week I was considering the F300/4.5 for the size, but seriously I absolutely don't mind the sigma 100-300 on the K-7, it fits me very well with the k-7, so why bother. My copy of the sigma has prime IQ, a perfect lens. But, seeing images form the 60-250, I know it is equally good (May be not as sharp, but probably a bit better overall rendering...but, they are close).

P.S: Don't worry about the 300/4.5 shot with another lens...I would love to see some images with the 300/4.5 though...

Last edited by pcarfan; 10-19-2009 at 04:32 PM.
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A lot of short observations.

The 60-250 seems like a strange compromise for you. 60mm doesn't seem wide enough, because you don't use the 77mm often; 250mm doesn't seem long enough; it just doesn't seem like the lens you want. Perhaps a snapshot lens in the $300 range and the $1000 Sigma 150-500 would be better than the $1300 60-250? (I don't know much about these lenses, so I'm just looking at prices and lengths.) Looking at it this way also helps put a dollar figure on tele photography.

If you aren't completely sure about getting away from telephoto work, I'd put the 100-300 on a shelf for a few months before selling it. You might not miss the length at all; you might realize that you didn't like it because 300mm wasn't long enough. It always pains me to see people sell an expensive lens only to buy it (or something like it) back again a short while later.

I'm with Peter: it seems to me that DA* is overkill for snapshots. Is the 17-70 not long enough? If you're printing 5x7 out of the K-7, you can crop quite a bit.

The wife factor does make a difference. Perhaps setting aside a hundred or two for an evening out would buy some leniency... consider it a 10% transaction fee.

If you do buy another body, and you want a DA snapshot lens, the K-x with 18-55 & 50-200 kit is a great deal.

I wouldn't worry about quality control. Find a reputable dealer, check the return policy before purchasing--perhaps email sales and tell them about your concerns--and then buy what you want.

Cheers!
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #10

I have a bunch of quality Pentax primes from 14 to 135 but on my last trip down to the US all I took was the kit lens and I couldn't have been happier. When you're traveling and want to be quick, you can't typically worry about lenses, especially if you're traveling with friends or family who couldn't care less while they wait for you to take photos. You also do not necessarily want to carry around a dedicated camera bag; mine fit in a small travel bag, but only with a prime or small zoom like the kit lens.

When I travel alone or with more enthusiastic friends, I will bring a Lowepro backpack and around 6 lenses, but this happens less and less often
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jon,

I was thinking along the lines of shelving the sigma 100-300 and not selling it even prior to your post. it sorts of makes sense, as I like it very much. Only the FA43 and the FA77 are better.

I think I am going to hold onto the current line-up for now. if I ever again feel like I really need a zoom on vacation type settings for snapshots, I will consider a zoom. I was considering the 16-50 as it will deliver great IQ, if I also find a nice scene to shoot and later frame as I am taking the snapshots. So, it is a minor compromise on the primes with flexibility. I am liking what the 18-55 WR can do as well, but 16-50 is got the speed, and I have the $100 rebate as well.