Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
reflection in pictures

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or not. If not, please move it to the right one. I am taking pictures for the Central Arkansas Little Britches Rodeo Association. These rodeos are held in a covered arena. The rodeos are in the morning and evening. In the morning events, I am having problems with a reflection that shows up. The pictures that I took, I had a UV filter on the lenses. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I have attached a picture with the reflection. You can see it on the ground under the horse. I would appreciate any help or ideas as to what caused this.

Attached Images

10-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Likely a reflection caused by the UV filter. Try shooting a subject against the sun with it off and with it on and see if there is the same effect.
10-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's most likely the issue. A reflection between the back of the filter and the front lens element. Take the filter off.
10-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter

It's actually a reflection off the sensor and inner surface of the filter, I found that out trying to take photos of the moon.

See here for another example.

If you're going to use filters on digital, look for filters coated on both sides.

10-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I highly doubt (but could be wrong) that it's a reflection from the filter to the sensor. It seems illogical. The bright light will pass through the filter just fine. It's the back of the filter that is the issue. So the subject reflects off the front element of the lens and to the back of the filter. If it was the sensor, the light would pass all the way through the lens and return to the back of the filter and all the way back to the sensor. I suspect that if that happened, the reflected light would be diffused quite a bit and possibly be reflected multiple times on each rear element to a degree.

Regardless, it's the UV causing the issue.
10-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. Of course I didn't see them until I downloaded the pics to my computer and started converting them to jpeg. I have since taken the filter off. I have a rodeo this weekend so I will try it then. Again, thanks for the help.
10-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That is a neat trick though getting reflection from the dirt instead of just water.
10-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I should have added, these reflections only happen when the mirror is up.

They cannot be seen through the viewfinder, only on the captured image or in 'live view'.

So, only when the sensor is exposed.

But I agree, it's almost irrelevant, the problem is fixed by removing the filter.

10-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I blame the sun.

This photo appears to be taken under severe conditions that could produce ghosting with most lenses, even without a UV filter. Definitely lose the UV filter but also change your camera position if at all possible.

BTW, Here are a few Mike Johnston articles about flare, ghosting, and other bad things that can happen in harsh lighting conditions

The Online Photographer: How To Stress A Camera Lens

Flare-01-11-01-03

Last edited by troyz; 10-20-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: references
10-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #10

Original Poster
I want to thank all of ya'll for your help. Here is a picture I took yesterday under the same harsh lighting conditions. Only with this one, I took off the UV filter. As you can see, there is no reflection, ghosting, flare or whatever you prefer to call it. I wish there was a way to change camera positions, but if the sun is shining, it's 360 degrees around the arena. I much prefer shooting the night rodeo, but I have to shoot them both so must make the best of the situation. Again, thanks for the help.
Attached Images

10-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done.
It's a tough shot to get from there.
Try as much as you can to be situated with the ambient light falling from behind you, as this will overcome some of the harsh highlighting and poor contrast situations you'd be faced with here.
10-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
I forgot to mention, I did use flash with these also. That may have helped to alleviate the reflection.
10-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

What flash would have helped with is to boost exposure and contrast on the subject, which helps particularly well with backlit subjects.