Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Where can I find a TX mount?

I realized over the weekend that I have a Vivitar Series 1 400mm f/5.6 lens in a TX mount from my old Minolta days. Does anyone know where I can find a Pentax K TX mount? I have scoured eBay to no avail, although I have set up a search. However, I'd like to be able to use the lens before the weather really turns to crap! Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by tax_man; 10-20-2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
10-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly there's an M42 version in the display case, where I work.
However there are 2 things you should know before you get your hopes up.

First, there's a lens attached to it. And we wouldn't be interested in separating them. If I remember correctly it's a nice lens (although I don't remember what) so that many not be that bad.

Second, it's an auto aperture version. So it's designed to stop down, when the pin is pushed on by the camera.
The Manual override is nicer.
Some third party m42 adapters push this pin in, so no big deal there, however I recommend the Genuine Pentax version.... which won't.
Some people epoxy this pin up, so it'll work manually... but only manually even in a screwmount camera.

If you'd like some info, and possible photos of it please send me a PM... And I'll see what I can do tomorrow while at work.

I did look at this lens myself, and was interested in it. However for some reason I haven't even tried it on anything.
10-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would be interested in more info. How, exactly would this work on a K100D?
10-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, a T4 adapter will work just as well as a TX for your purposes. These may be more widely available, though you may need to buy a lens to go with it Vice versa doesn't always work, i.e. TX on a T4 lens.

I know at least two versions of the T4 M42 - the 'CS' version has a push-pin stop down, which is easy to arrange to remain pushed in (I use a rubber band, but that's because I also use M42 film cameras).

10-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. From what I have read, I may be able to use a T4 mount, but would lose the auto-diaphram function.
10-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Using a T4 on a TX lens - on a regular M42 camera - gives you auto aperture - i.e. the body will stop the lens down for exposure and then let it open up again. You still have to stop down manually to meter. What the TX adapter does it emulates the Pentax ES mount - for open aperture metering with the F and auto exposure with the ES.

On K mount cameras, none of this matters as there's no lever in the body to push the aperture pin. Therefore, the T4 mount works the same as the TX mount; with either you have to find some way to hold the pin in as there's no a/m switch on the mount itself.

The 'CS' T4 mount above is the easiest - as I mentioned, I simply put a rubber band on the lens to hold the stop down button down.
10-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viv 400/5.6

QuoteOriginally posted by tax_man Quote
I...have a Vivitar Series 1 400mm f/5.6 lens in a TX mount
I can't help with a mount but I can verify it's worth finding one for it. It's not an FA*- but under the right conditions it serves nicely at a small fraction of the price.

My super lens test target with minimal tweaking in Faststone viewer - at about 120 yds.

H2

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
10-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice image. This increasees the motivation to start using that lens!
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #9

I have both the simple M42 (no Auto/Man) and K mount TX adapters. My daughter uses the K on a 135 on a film camera. I decided to keep the M42 on a 100-300mm f/5 on my K20 because it works in both M and Av mode - after an easy modification. I had to open the TX mount (4 screws) and remove 3 screws that hold the pin. Without the pin the mount works as a manual lens. If you can work around not having the ability to switch between auto & manual, then it will work for you, too. I'd bet that a T-mount can be modified in the same way.
10-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. You don't have any photos showing how to do that modification do you? Would a T4 mount have the same issue?
10-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #11

Sorry, I didn't think of doing the photo thing. It's actually very straight forward once you get the mount open. I'm no mechanical genius (can't even remember the "lefty loosy..." rule!) and had no problems at all. I'll probably put it back together whenever I sell the lens.
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hey tax_man,

Check PM. I have news for you.
10-21-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey tax_man,
does this look like the series 1 ? I got this one a couple years ago and had a hard time finding a tx K mount also. I got it with a nikon ai and found a k mount later. I was going to list it when I get around to it, it is a nicely made lens PF and flare wide open but not too bad stopped down.

Here's an old shot with mine

10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Found another one

10-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I like the bird shots! Probably took a lot of patience, didn't it?