Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

SMC Pentax-A 1:1.2 50mm

I got my K10D body in the mail today and going thru dad's old camera gear I came across this gem on a mirror-less body with no cap (tho there is a filter on it).

My goodness does it ever render wonderfully! The depth of field effect is effortless (bokeh?)! Apparently it's a bit of a rarity, as I understand it.

Not a bad lens to start off with, eh?

Just thought I'd share

I'll get digging thru the rest of his bags sometime when school settles down a bit

Last edited by thefragger; 10-20-2009 at 11:00 PM.
10-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Generational inheritances - best gifts you can get.
Look forward to your results with that fine lens...
10-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Just a couple quickies;

Re-sized to 900px from 10MP

It's a SOVTEK 6550WE vacuum tube that was rolling around on my desk-- audio, my main hobby. The tube stands 4.5" tall-- I'm kind of amazed how small it looks in the second shot.
10-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #4
Igilligan

wow how lucky are you...

When you tire of it of having to manually focus it ... I have lots to trade with you 8^)

I am thinking a DA 40 ltd and a FA 50 1.4

Actually congrats on the camera and the lens... look forward to seeing what you can do with it.

10-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Generational inheritances - best gifts you can get.
Look forward to your results with that fine lens...
Wasn't so much an inheritance... more of a 'hey dad, trying out some of your old lenses... ' then him taking the camera and commenting on the weight and complexity of it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
wow how lucky are you...

When you tire of it of having to manually focus it ... I have lots to trade with you 8^)

I am thinking a DA 40 ltd and a FA 50 1.4

Actually congrats on the camera and the lens... look forward to seeing what you can do with it.
I grew up on manual focus! I think it's wonderful Not really interested in trades because the lens isn't actually mine Thanks for the pat on the back

I've got a couple really cool shots of my brother, but I want to ask his permission before posting them online.

So far I'm over my head, I really gotta pick up the manual sometime after my midterms are over.
10-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Fragger

You have scored what many consider to be the best of the "fast 50's". And since all of these lenses are highly regarded that is high praise indeed. I'd be very happy to go over the rest of your dad's equipment for you and separate out the nice lenses, as an added benefit I'd gladly take off your hands any "substandard" lenses I find.

NaCl(at no charge of course!)H2O
10-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
No kidding, that's a great find to make (F1.2!); that's akin to finding an old Porsche parked in grandpa's garage!

10-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thefragger Quote
I got my K10D body in the mail today and going thru dad's old camera gear I came across this gem on a mirror-less body with no cap (tho there is a filter on it).

My goodness does it ever render wonderfully! The depth of field effect is effortless (bokeh?)! Apparently it's a bit of a rarity, as I understand it.

Not a bad lens to start off with, eh?

Just thought I'd share

I'll get digging thru the rest of his bags sometime when school settles down a bit
Congrats! I just paid $500 US for one of these and have absolutely no regrets!

It's a fantastic lens, and remarkably useable at 1.2. And yep--that's bokeh
10-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All I ever got from my dad was "Son, you'll never amount to anything." and a set of sockets he found on the road when he was in the tire servicing business.

No. I am just kidding. I love my dad.

You guys with your 1.2 are making me question my f2.
But have fun with it.
10-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments, guys

I made another find shortly after I got home from school... I picked up a discarded Pentax SuperProgram and remember that there was a lens on it, so I went to check and there's a 50mm 1:1.7 on it. While (from what I've read) it's not as desirable, it is an 'A' series lens, I'm happy with the handful of shots that I've done with it, and it's also worth a lot less than the 1.2!

I'm thinking I'm going to pack away the 1.2--lest something were to happen to it while the whole family's grabbing at my camera--and mount up the 1.7.

And the 1.7 lens is actually mine!

10-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

All my dad has is old Lomo with fixed 45/2.8 lens. Never understood it as it's mirorless and appears rangefinder-like yet it's not RF. So you MF by eyeballing the distance. Very veird system.
Anyway, what I wannted to say, enjoy your find you lucky...son.
congrats

Peter