Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also don't have the DA35 or any other 35, but I really like the DA40. i find the focal length wonderful for much candid and other types of photography - being slightly longer than "normal" elps cut to the heart of a scene and cut out extraneous detail. In the situations where it isn't wide enough, it isn't *nearly* wide enough; I don't think going to 35mm would help enough. I like me M28/2.8 as the next step down, and think having these lenses on either side of 35 is quite nice. But I suppose 35 would work OK as a compromise, too.

As for balance, that's a personal thing, and of course depends on the camera. i love it on mt K200D, as I did on my *istDS. Could see it maybe seeming odd on a K20D. but for me, the K200D (and *istDS) are essentially one-handed cameras when it comes to basic handling; the left hand is just there for additional support while shooting. And I don't find this difficult with the DA40 - I just don'grap the camera, not the lens. As for focusing, true, it's no "M", "A", or "K" in that department. Quite short focus throw. Between that, the thinness of the ring, and how close it is to the body, I find myself focusing it with my my *right* hand, not my left. Kind of convenient, actually - index finger on shutter, ring finger on focus ring. Somehow, despite the short throw, things seem to "pop" well, making it not really harder for me to focus than, for example, my M28/2.8.

10-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, I was thinking of getting an A28mm f2.8 if I were to buy a DA40.
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #18
Inactive Account

This is a handy site for checking ebay prices:

Pentax FA 1,9/43 ebay on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

350 euro long term average.

2nd hand 43ltd's are not always on the market, so on such a moment you'll be only finding new ones in Asian countries or perhaps a couple of overpriced ones in Germany.

PS: you can have mine for 450
10-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the DA 35 and I find that it's focusing speed is pretty good unless going from macro distances to further distances or vice a versa. So, for a walkaround lens, it does a pretty good job focusing for me.

10-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #20
Forum Member

You can also consider FA35/2 if macro is not a must for you.
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #21

I've had the DA40 for about 9 months now, it's one of my favorite lenses. Very fast autofocus, and I really like the size. Manual focus is no problem, nor is the small size. You get used to it real fast, there is no need to have your left hand get in the way of the lens once you used it a bit.

I just got the DA35. I'll still keep the DA40, but the DA35 is quite nice too. When using it for walking around, documentary type shooting I was already in the habit of manually resetting the DA40 to infinity whenever I thought about it. I now do that with the DA35 too, and find that focus is pretty fast. If I want to shoot something up close it is easy enough to roll the focus ring manually as I'm bringing the camera up to my eye.

As for balance of either on various bodies - the DA40 is great on both a K20D (it's not too small) and perfect on a K2000. On the K2000 it makes it a big point & shoot with a really nice (relatively speaking) viewfinder. The DA35 balances perfectly on the K20D. That's the only body I've tried it on.
10-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
If you are planning to do street shots or anything fast with this lens, it is really not for that type of job..
The DA35 is my favourite lens for street shooting. instead of reposting my photos again, please have a look here.

Some more on my flickr.. Pentax DA 35 f2.8 LTD - a set on Flickr. If you add me as a friend, you'll see more photos. I currently have only 17 photos for public view.

As for the OP, I do not have the DA40.. but I highly recommend the DA35!
edit: for some of the people that mentioned the slow focus from macro to 'normal' and vice versa... have you forgotten that this lens has quickshift? when street shooting, it's very easy to pre-empt the focus.

Last edited by xhanatos; 10-23-2009 at 01:24 AM.
10-23-2009, 01:30 AM   #23

Exactly DA35mm macro is my 24/7 lens on my K-7, but I have the 35mm f2.0 as well but I do much more macro stuff so prefer the macro lens.

10-23-2009, 02:39 AM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
Exactly DA35mm macro is my 24/7 lens on my K-7, but I have the 35mm f2.0 as well but I do much more macro stuff so prefer the macro lens.
nice gallery you have there
do you shoot from waist or do you lift the camera up and focus?
10-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

eva2000 - As I can see in your sig you have a couple of macro lenses.
How do you feel the DA35 Ltd performs in macro compared to a longer lens like the Sigma 105mm?
10-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
nice gallery you have there
do you shoot from waist or do you lift the camera up and focus?
Thanks - tripod or most of time lazy just dangle camera from my neck strap with arm/strap fully stretched and use live view mode

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
eva2000 - As I can see in your sig you have a couple of macro lenses.
How do you feel the DA35 Ltd performs in macro compared to a longer lens like the Sigma 105mm?
Prior to DA35 Ltd coming into my collection, sigma 105mm macro was sharpest lens I had but my prior 24/7 lens was my Sigma 18-50mm Macro lens good all rounder. I'd say DA35 Ltd and Sigma 105mm macro are a match in terms of sharpness.
10-23-2009, 05:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply, eva2000.
If you don't mind, I sent you a PM with some further qs, to avoid taking the thread too OT.

I have been tossing up between a DA35, DA40 or FA43 for a while, the responses in this thread have been quite useful - thanks.
10-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I second everything said here. I had the DA 35 twice (and sold it twice) and don't know why I didn't like it (which is part of why I bought it a second time). The focal length was never right for me, and I only liked the bokeh some of the time. Great for macro, when you can get that close though! Loved the size, pull out hood, and manual focusing though. Personal thing!

The 40 grew on me a lot more. I bought it for the cool factor, but am really impressed with its sharpness and how it renders. I like a lot of people shots and for this I prefer not only the focusing speed, but the look of the 40 compared to the 35. Manual focus though? I have other lenses for that

So bottom line--this will be a very personal decision!
That sums it up nicely. Me? I like the DA35. Chocolate or vanilla? Both are very good.
10-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
I guess I'll have to go to a store and find out just how slow the 35mm focuses and whether or not it's a deal breaker for me.

I plan to use this lens as my all-round walk around, and as my main lens to use when next year I'll be in China for a year. So pretty much everything, but mostly travel photography. I don't do an awful lot of macro but that's partly due to the fact that none of my lenses have any macro abilities. I suppose owning a lens that does opens up a whole new world.

My main gripe with the DA40 is that it might be too small and mess up how I hold my camera (with my left hand under the camera and with my fingers on the lens). Also, I think it looks very weird on my big-ish K10D. I don't much care that I can't manually focus, but I like that on the 35mm, I can.

This is one tough decision.
I have the DA35 and use it as my walk around lens ...the focus issue is overstated in my opinion. If changing focus from 1/1 to infinity, that is a rather longish throw, but in normal usage the lens snaps into focus quickly and is never a problem.
10-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #30
Site Supporter

I also have the DA 35 Ltd and I use it for an all around lens as I once did with a FF 50mm. It AF's just fine for 'normal' shots if you start at infinity. I have some street scenes here