Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #1

What LBA luck!

So I was looking throughout Canada for a 40mm Limited, and had no luck.

A quick ebay search, however, had found someone in the states who was selling their's, new in the box, for less than what it would have been in Canada anyways. After taking some product shots for the fiance's website, I was smitten with the lens!

However, on a work trip to Edmonton this week, I decided to stop by the West Edmonton Mall.

Drop by one of the many camera shops inside, and came across a used section of lenses and cameras. There were a number of old Canon's that I have used in the past, some minoltas, but no Pentaxes. When it came to lenses, there were no pentax primes, nor zooms, so far as I could tell. Even when I asked the help, they said they never get any Pentax stuff, really.

I'm glad I persisted my search, just for the heck of it.

In a lone corner, behind some Tamrons for a Canon, I saw the edge of a prime lens. I only could make out the words "SMC", and in another spot, "1.4"

I was in shock, a lens I've had such a hard time finding, was here...

So I purchased it! What was the condition like?

Try "in an original box", mint condition, no wear on any numbers or writing, perfectly moving mechanisms, flawless glass, no dust, and all for a total of $90 Canadian!!! (yay no Alberta sales tax)

My camera is back home in Ontario, and I won't be back there until Friday night, so I will have to report with my first photo at that point!

05-30-2007, 11:45 PM   #2

Congratulations, it's always good when a plan comes together I'd say.

So we are talking a 50/1.4 here I presume?

And you also got the 40 limited (nice picture btw!)..

Whooptiedo!

So tell me, for what exact purpose do you plan to use the 40.. Portraiture, landscape... or just lot's of shots? I'm just wondering because the photozone review stated the lens is in an odd category with it's 40mm.

05-31-2007, 05:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Lucky!! Congrats on your find(s).
05-31-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Damn~ you took my len~ :P JK

Congrats! 90$ for it is a dream come true~

05-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great finds!
05-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
yes, it was the great 50mm 1.4 (-;
05-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #7

Congrats FireMate. It is tough to find Pentax gear at the WEM McBains. The owner is a Pentax fan, so he tends to grab any of the premium used lenses that come through the door. You probably managed to find that one because he already has too many 50's (if there is such a thing!). I am sure you will enjoy both immensely. I recently picked up a DA40 used from a local seller, and when I went to look at the lens, he pulled out a A50 1.4. Needless to say I now have both. So far I like both lenses, although I need more practice manually focusing in low-light without a split focus screen. I am trying to decide wether to keep these two lenses, or sell them both for a FA50 1.4. The 'cool factor' of the 40 means I will probably keep it, not to mention the size makes it a really nice walk-around lens.

My first attempt at 'Street Photography', with the DA40. 1/180 f5.6:
05-31-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
It is tough to find Pentax gear at the WEM McBains. The owner is a Pentax fan, so he tends to grab any of the premium used lenses that come through the door.
That explains why I've never been able to find anything I'm interested in there. (online)

They had a Z-1 grip on the website for $18 once, but it was gone by the time I made the call.

05-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #9

Dave,

The website is out of date, sometimes by months. The best thing to do is stop in to one of the stores, and have them check the computer is store. Downtown (107) usually has the best used selection.

Last edited by silverbullet; 05-31-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: added information
06-01-2007, 05:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Dave,

The website is out of date, sometimes by months. The best thing to do is stop in to one of the stores, and have them check the computer is store. Downtown (107) usually has the best used selection.
Thanks, that's good to know. Perhaps I'll use the phone next time, travel to a store is unrealistic (I'm in Ontario).