Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What lenses should I buy?

I am new to photography. I purchased a K100D several months ago that came with 2 Sigma lenses. Iíve also inherited a couple of lenses (the Pentax and Tamron) that are at least 10 years old (probably older!). The lenses I have are:

* Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6
* Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6
* Pentax SMC FA 28-80mm F3.5-4.7
* Tamron AF 90-300mm F4.5-5.6
(this has 2 tiny scratches on the coating of the glass which I am hoping Iíll be able to get fixed)

I want quality over quantity. (Iíd prefer to buy 1 now and save up for the next one rather than buying 2 mediocre lenses now.)

It is a bit hard to choose because there isnít 1 subject that I want to photograph. I want to be able to cover a range of tasks such as landscapes, travel, everyday (e.g. photos of family & friends etc), and concerts (which Iíve read means I need a good 50mm or wide angle lens with a huge aperture).

I operate the camera manually except for focusing which I tend to leave in auto focus.

The lenses I am thinking about are:

* FA 50mm F1.4 or the DA 40mm F2.8

* DA 14mm F2.8 Ė although I read in a photography magazine that this is too wide angle for landscapes and would distort perspective too much, so I am wondering if I should go for the DA21mm F3.2.

Iíve read the reviews for all of these lenses and they have all been positive (apart from the odd issue), but I still donít know which would suit my needs best. Iíd appreciate any advice or opinions you can offer.

Thanks in advance.

05-31-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the fa50 is the most versatile lens in that group. you might want to consider the sigma 30mm f1.4.
06-01-2007, 01:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by allie181 Quote
I8[/B]

* DA 14mm F2.8 Ė although I read in a photography magazine that this is too wide angle for landscapes and would distort perspective too much, so I am wondering if I should go for the DA21mm F3.2.
It is never too wide for landscape (though wider view does it make it difficult to composition)

I love the versatility of Da 14 and I would not say this is wide (Have you seen Lanthar 8mm f5.6 on film SLR? = that is called wide )

06-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for that opinion. The sample pictures really helped (they are AMAZING by the way. I especially love the one with the lanterns). I think I will get the DA14.