Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I feel the need to boast!

My Pentax system has been languishing, unfortunately, ever since I got my digital Rebel. When I was in my first year of college, I got a Pentax ME Super with a set of lenses. For the longest time I didn't appreciate them, since I didn't know very much about lenses I was using my mediocre Sigma zoom predominantly.

My Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 is especially surprising since when I showed it to my photo professors and the university, they panned it. However, I recently did some searching on the internet and found that my Vivitar is of Komine manufacture.

Also in the set was a beautiful Panagor 135mm for Pentax K Mount. It's in such pristine condition I almost don't want to use it. I keep it neurotically safe, but what good is a lens if you don't use it?

I did use it for a project my last semester of college, but unfortunately the weakest link in the production chain turned out to be film scanners. Sam's club did a terrible job scanning them (making my girlfriend look more like a sallow-skinned prostitute) and the film scanners for students scratched up the negatives and produced an intolerable amount of noise. The good film scanner seemed to be reserved for professor's use (much to my chagrin).

I got both of these lenses, a Toyo optics, and my camera for less than 50$ on Ebay! What a bargain! Photos coming soon! I just feel the need to boast because I never realized what hidden treasures I had! Now my biggest regret was getting a Canon digital camera.

So the moral of the story is: don't ask people, just shoot, then ask Google.

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 10-22-2009 at 05:43 AM.
10-22-2009, 03:54 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting insight.
Do share with us your results, and keep enjoying the process!
10-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #3

Does the Vivitar 28 have the words "close focus" on the front of the lens? In that case that lens alone will give you back more than what you paid for the package if you decide to sell them.
10-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Does the Vivitar 28 have the words "close focus" on the front of the lens?
Unfortunately, no. It's just a garden-variety Vivitar 28mm. I have seen how sought after the Close Focus variety is thought! That would have been awesome.

However, I think the Panagor is worth quite a bit (compared to what I paid for it). I have yet to see a 135mm Panagor f/2.8 K-Mount on Ebay. I just saw an m42 model that sold for $36.

10-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a Vivitar 28/2.8 that doesn't say close focus on it that I paid like $20 for. It is really a very nice lens and takes great pics. Can't wait to see some of your pics!
10-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I have a Vivitar 28/2.8 that doesn't say close focus on it that I paid like $20 for. It is really a very nice lens and takes great pics. Can't wait to see some of your pics!
Yes, I think most Komine/Kiron made Vivitar lenses range from good to very good. I have two 28/2.8 CF, one 135/2.8 non CF and an older M42 200/3.5. All Komine made, and all very good.

I am still looking for the close focus verison of the 135mm and a K-mount 200mm/3.5.