Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
As we all know the FA series in Pentax, The DG series in Sigma are made for the Full Frame SLR or full Frame sensor.
Made for FF slr but not necessarily for FF sensor.
Sure FA's image circle is big enough, but according to Ned B, that doesn't make them good enough for FF sensor.

Shall we believe Ned B, or take that comment as a deflection from him?

10-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Made for FF slr but not necessarily for FF sensor.
Sure FA's image circle is big enough, but according to Ned B, that doesn't make them good enough for FF sensor.

Shall we believe Ned B, or take that comment as a deflection from him?
He and Pentax also says they are not good enough for APS-C.
10-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Started quite a thread here. I am sure i have read somewhere that FF lenses project the image onto an APS sensor at the incorrect angle for it to be the optimum image
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #34
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
Started quite a thread here. I am sure i have read somewhere that FF lenses project the image onto an APS sensor at the incorrect angle for it to be the optimum image
I have read something similar,
but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
And many great shots on these forums from FF designs as old os 4-5 decades or even older speak for themselves.

Peter

10-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have read something similar,
but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
And many great shots on these forums from FF designs as old os 4-5 decades or even older speak for themselves.

Peter
that's just bull

if you search enough you'll find someone saying that leaving the camera next to a glass of water stabilizes its molecules for lower high iso noise
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I have read something similar, but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
Peter
What you have seen is FA lenses on FF film, or on APS sensor. I doubt many of us have seen FA lenses on FF sensor though.

I understand it's the effects of light angle hitting the outer parts of the FF sensor (i.e. more severe than APS sensor's) that FA lenses were not catered for in their film-era design.
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
Forum Member

i am using pentax full-frame 20 megapixel camera

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/77468-k-50mm-1...uji-reala.html

10-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #38
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
that's just bull

if you search enough you'll find someone saying that leaving the camera next to a glass of water stabilizes its molecules for lower high iso noise
thanks for confirming...
10-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
axl
Veteran Member

What you have seen is FA lenses on FF film, or on APS sensor. I doubt many of us have seen FA lenses on FF sensor though.

I understand it's the effects of light angle hitting the outer parts of the FF sensor (i.e. more severe than APS sensor's) that FA lenses were not catered for in their film-era design.
How is the angle of light falling on 135 format film from FA lens different from angle of light falling on FF sensor from the same FA LENS???
To my understannding the whole point of FF sensor is to make digital sensors the same size as film, i.e. the size of the medium the FF lenses were designedd for!

in other words, do you think older CANIKON lennses used on the newest FF bodies are underperforming because the light from them is falling on the sensor differently than it would on the film???

Last edited by axl; 10-24-2009 at 11:43 AM.
10-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #40
Veteran Member

How is the angle of light falling on 135 format film from FA lens different from angle of light falling on FF sensor from the same FA LENS???
To my understannding the whole point of FF sensor is to make digital sensors the same size as film, i.e. the size of the medium the FF lenses were designedd for!
The angle of light is of course the same, it's the response to angled light that is different between film and electronic sensor. I vaguely remember reading somewhere: the film surface is essentially flat while sensor surface contains rows of hills and valleys; imagine trying to dodge the bullets from an airplane's forward machine gun, your survival chance is very different in hilly terrain vs a desert
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that some photo's from old lenses are just unbeatable in quality,
10-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #42
axl
Veteran Member

The angle of light is of course the same, it's the response to angled light that is different between film and electronic sensor. I vaguely remember reading somewhere: the film surface is essentially flat while sensor surface contains rows of hills and valleys; imagine trying to dodge the bullets from an airplane's forward machine gun, your survival chance is very different in hilly terrain vs a desert
I see what you're saying, but is so relevant?
If you look at all CANIKONS using the same lenses as they did for film....