Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 03:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Kguru's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth - WestAust
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
As we all know the FA series in Pentax, The DG series in Sigma are made for the Full Frame SLR or full Frame sensor.
Made for FF slr but not necessarily for FF sensor.
Sure FA's image circle is big enough, but according to Ned B, that doesn't make them good enough for FF sensor.

Shall we believe Ned B, or take that comment as a deflection from him?

10-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
Made for FF slr but not necessarily for FF sensor.
Sure FA's image circle is big enough, but according to Ned B, that doesn't make them good enough for FF sensor.

Shall we believe Ned B, or take that comment as a deflection from him?
He and Pentax also says they are not good enough for APS-C.
10-24-2009, 07:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member
Taff's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,613
Original Poster
Started quite a thread here. I am sure i have read somewhere that FF lenses project the image onto an APS sensor at the incorrect angle for it to be the optimum image
10-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #34
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
Started quite a thread here. I am sure i have read somewhere that FF lenses project the image onto an APS sensor at the incorrect angle for it to be the optimum image
I have read something similar,
but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
And many great shots on these forums from FF designs as old os 4-5 decades or even older speak for themselves.

Peter

10-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #35
Veteran Member
kristoffon's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 532
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have read something similar,
but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
And many great shots on these forums from FF designs as old os 4-5 decades or even older speak for themselves.

Peter
that's just bull

if you search enough you'll find someone saying that leaving the camera next to a glass of water stabilizes its molecules for lower high iso noise
10-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Kguru's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth - WestAust
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have read something similar, but as an owner of few FF lenses I do doubt this has any significant effect. Anybody who has owned or shot good quality FF glass would confirm this I believe.
And many great shots on these forums from FF designs as old os 4-5 decades or even older speak for themselves.
Peter
What you have seen is FA lenses on FF film, or on APS sensor. I doubt many of us have seen FA lenses on FF sensor though.

I understand it's the effects of light angle hitting the outer parts of the FF sensor (i.e. more severe than APS sensor's) that FA lenses were not catered for in their film-era design.
10-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
Forum Member
irchan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 55
i am using pentax full-frame 20 megapixel camera

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/77468-k-50mm-1...uji-reala.html
10-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #38
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
that's just bull

if you search enough you'll find someone saying that leaving the camera next to a glass of water stabilizes its molecules for lower high iso noise
thanks for confirming...

10-24-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
What you have seen is FA lenses on FF film, or on APS sensor. I doubt many of us have seen FA lenses on FF sensor though.

I understand it's the effects of light angle hitting the outer parts of the FF sensor (i.e. more severe than APS sensor's) that FA lenses were not catered for in their film-era design.
How is the angle of light falling on 135 format film from FA lens different from angle of light falling on FF sensor from the same FA LENS???
To my understannding the whole point of FF sensor is to make digital sensors the same size as film, i.e. the size of the medium the FF lenses were designedd for!

in other words, do you think older CANIKON lennses used on the newest FF bodies are underperforming because the light from them is falling on the sensor differently than it would on the film???

Last edited by axl; 10-24-2009 at 11:43 AM.
10-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #40
Veteran Member
Kguru's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth - WestAust
Posts: 602
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
How is the angle of light falling on 135 format film from FA lens different from angle of light falling on FF sensor from the same FA LENS???
To my understannding the whole point of FF sensor is to make digital sensors the same size as film, i.e. the size of the medium the FF lenses were designedd for!
The angle of light is of course the same, it's the response to angled light that is different between film and electronic sensor. I vaguely remember reading somewhere: the film surface is essentially flat while sensor surface contains rows of hills and valleys; imagine trying to dodge the bullets from an airplane's forward machine gun, your survival chance is very different in hilly terrain vs a desert
10-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Taff's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,613
Original Poster
I agree that some photo's from old lenses are just unbeatable in quality,
10-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #42
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
QuoteOriginally posted by Kguru Quote
The angle of light is of course the same, it's the response to angled light that is different between film and electronic sensor. I vaguely remember reading somewhere: the film surface is essentially flat while sensor surface contains rows of hills and valleys; imagine trying to dodge the bullets from an airplane's forward machine gun, your survival chance is very different in hilly terrain vs a desert
I see what you're saying, but is so relevant?
If you look at all CANIKONS using the same lenses as they did for film....
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps, da, dc, frame, k-mount, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, sensor, sensors, series, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lenses that can do Full Frame in the lens DB Flickeroo Site Suggestions and Help 6 07-08-2010 09:18 AM
Digital Only or Full Frame lenses JamieP Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 05-10-2009 08:48 PM
Full frame and crop lenses Nesster Pentax News and Rumors 11 08-28-2008 10:40 PM
Which DA lenses are actually full frame capable? Noisychip Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 05-02-2008 08:42 AM
DA lenses on full frame sensor ZigDaPig Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 01-05-2008 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top