Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full Frame Lenses

I have been asked recently by a number of people on the reason i sold my DA*40mm
So i have decided to start this thread to see how many, if any, people are thinking my way.
The Da series of lenses were made for APS sized sensors, which cover the full range of Pentax DSLR's some of these lenses are very expensive, some are cheaper. But they al are intended for use on APS sensors only. There are also the Sigma equivalent lenses made for these sensors which are called the DC series.
As we all know the FA series in Pentax, The DG series in Sigma are made for the Full Frame SLR or full Frame sensor.
Well my way of thinking is that ONE DAY Pentax WILL realese a Full Frame Sensor DSLR to rival the Canon, Nikon and Sony camera's out there and I for one will be upgrading from my K20D then and not before. Which makes good reason for me selling my DA lens and purchasing those capable of working correctly on that new model Full Frame Sensor.
It seems a lot of money to invest in DA* Lenses only for them to be unusable in the future, unless you stay with APS of course.
I must say though one exception would be the 10-20 or 12-24 (Da or Dc) as my 20-40 for the time being is not an ultra wide.
Thanks for reading

10-23-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's one of the reasons I bought the Sigma 100-300mm EX DG, it covers a full frame sensor whilst the DA* 60-250mm doesn't (plus the Sigma had a longer and more useable reach).

I am not likely to purchase any more specific APS-C specific lenses and will need to replace my Pentax DA 17-70mm SDM and Sigma 10-20mm for full frame.
10-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Big-G nice to see im making sense for once lol
10-23-2009, 05:01 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reasonable idea Taff.
You're also making quite a few assumptions that render the DA* and DA ltd lenses obsolete in the very near future.
Given Pentax's legacy, I don't know if indeed it would happen in this way...
Not saying FF is not coming from Pentax, but rather that it may be hasty to believe that premium Pentax lenses will be useless on their future cameras, FF or otherwise.

10-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey Taff,
I get the feeling that quite a few people share these thoughts.

I didn't use to think much about it, was all for DA lenses only, but now I can't help but wonder if that would be a (slightly) bad idea.

On the other hand, I don't know if I would get a FF camera anyway... Although saying that, when I first bought my K200D I didn't think I would ever upgrade the kit lens!
10-23-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are sure to buy "FF"/small format, then buying FA/DFA/DG/Di is a good idea. However, it it not likely at all that APS-C is being abandoned yet, which the Canon 7D, the 1DIV (1,3x, but still) and the Nikon 85/3.5 DX Macro reminds us of.
Blablabla, size, performances and costs, bla, bla bla, which means both formats will probably co-exist for quite a while.
tl;dr: Don't panic. ; )

Regarding wideangle for small format, try the Sigma 12-24, it is quite wide (although quite slow) even on APS-C.
10-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Regarding wideangle for small format, try the Sigma 12-24, it is quite wide (although quite slow) even on APS-C.
The resolution figures for that Sigma lens are not that impressive, which is disappointing given how good the APS-C specific 10-20mm Sigma is.

Back to FF lenses, just future proof your kit as follows:

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II
Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG

No more worries.

I'm turning into a bit of a Sigma fanboy, need to watch....

10-23-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thinking along your line Taff as Ive got a few DG sigma's although I had a weakness a got a DC wide lense but back on track with the 100-300 EX DG coming soon so I can indulge in cropped sensor or FF one day maybe never I will still have a option

cheers
10-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never assumed that DA etc, would become obsolete but rather not really suitable for Full Frame, I also believe that pentax would not invest in a product that would become defunct in such a short time, the exact opposite considering that ours is the only brand that is backward compatible with all previous lenses. But for one such as myself that will go FF in the future will invest his thousands spent on lenses in something that will suit ME. Knowing pentax's past history in compatibility the only reason i can see going specially formatted lenses for digital aps format was to keep the expense down on the cost of making an ultrawide angle lens to suit full frame.
So even though i believe that APS will be around for a long time co-existing with FF and Compact P&S sensor size neither the former or the latter will suit me.
10-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah but the DA 40 covers the full frame, with reasonable expectations in the corners, even with the hood on. That's one of the things about it that attracted me.
10-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Although I did just buy an FA-j 75-300mm zoom over the DA in order to be able to use it on a film body or two, so I do see your point. (I know, worse resolution, but much cheaper too)
10-23-2009, 06:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Ah but the DA 40 covers the full frame, with reasonable expectations in the corners, even with the hood on. That's one of the things about it that attracted me.
But a lens is made with edge sharpness decreasing at the edges, with the 40mm you are stretching your lens to the limit, why spend top $$$ on a lens that only gives you ''REASONABLE" EXPECTATIONS
10-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To keep in line with Big G i have

20-40MM 2.8 EX DG
FA 50MM 1.4
70-200MM 2.8 EX DG
OBVIOUSLY THE OBLIGATORY TAK'S etc

LOOKING FOR CHEAP 35-80 TO TAKE CARE OF THE BITS IN BETWEEN I WOULD IRREGULARLY USE

10-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #14
emr

I was earlier thinking like that too, but have lately begun to value small size a bit more. Like DA limiteds and the eventual EVIL camera to use them with. But FF really is something to consider, though, when buying new glass.

According to https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html at least DA 40 mm, DA 70 mm, DA* 200 mm, DA* 300 mm, DA 55-300 mm should work fairly well with FF too.
10-23-2009, 07:13 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
I have been asked recently by a number of people on the reason i sold my DA*40mm
Hi Taff,

The DA 40mm is based on the Pentax SMC M 40mm 2.8. The DA 40mm is a FF lens! I have the SMC M 40mm and really like it, it's pretty sharp stopped down. The DA 40 has nine aperture blades (five for the SMC M 40) and better coatings than the older SMC M model.

I see your point of view though. Nikon allows for their APS-C lenses to be used on their FF cameras in a cropped mode. I'm sure Pentax will do something similar. Pentax sold a lot of DA lenses and I don't believe they will abandon the format when FF comes out.