Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which is the better uv filter? Hoya SHMC or Pentax SMC?

I want to fit a 49mm uv filter on my A28/2 lens to protect the front element.

It's a choice between a new Hoya Super HMC or a used, vintage (but mint condition) genuine Asahi Pentax uv filter.

Which would be better - in terms of filter coating - to minimise effect on image quality?

10-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #2

I found some old SMC filters for pretty cheap, and I like them more than Hoya HMC. Hoyas are also impossibly annoying to clean/wipe.

Note that SMC filters are usually quite expensive, and that fairly represents how good they are.

I recommend B+W MRC over either of them because they're really easy to clean and they get stuck less easily. They can be bought from many Hong Kong ebay sellers for good prices, and are the real deal.
10-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are all Pentax filters SMC? This one has Asahi Pentax L39(UV) written on the ring.
10-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For one thing, it would depend on how old the Pentax filter is.

10-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
For one thing, it would depend on how old the Pentax filter is.
This is the one. I'm guessing 1970s?

10-25-2009, 06:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Are all Pentax filters SMC? This one has Asahi Pentax L39(UV) written on the ring.
No they are not. The older filters predate the SMC process. Unless stammped SMC the filter will not be multi-coated.

Marc and I had a little discussion about filters a while back:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/45317-smc-pentax-filters.html

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 10-25-2009 at 06:24 AM. Reason: typo
10-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

UV Filter Comparisons here:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

H2
10-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Tom is correct. Its easy to say that before a certain date, there were no SMC filters, but even after there were SMC added to them, there was a lot of stock in warehouses.

10-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
No they are not. The older filters predate the SMC process. Unless stammped SMC the filter will not be multi-coated.
Bummer! (I bought the filter and its on its way).

Thanks for the info.
09-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #10

Thanks pacerr. That was an eye opener! I tried to look here earlier, but the site was offline. So, thinking I couldn't go wrong with a German, fairly expensive filter for my "nifty 50" I pulled the trigger on a Heliopan. I do need to replace one more filter, so I'll go for the Hoya HMC UV-0 on that one and save several $s. I did find an interesting article on camera rental site where they stacked 50 filters and shot through the bunch of 'em. One of their 'tests' was showing the difference between shooting through 5 'budget' filters & 5 high end filters. Even on that site, they advised you can't really go on price alone to judge a filter's efficiency.
09-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DizziPixel Quote
Thanks pacerr. That was an eye opener! I tried to look here earlier, but the site was offline. So, thinking I couldn't go wrong with a German, fairly expensive filter for my "nifty 50" I pulled the trigger on a Heliopan. I do need to replace one more filter, so I'll go for the Hoya HMC UV-0 on that one and save several $s. I did find an interesting article on camera rental site where they stacked 50 filters and shot through the bunch of 'em. One of their 'tests' was showing the difference between shooting through 5 'budget' filters & 5 high end filters. Even on that site, they advised you can't really go on price alone to judge a filter's efficiency.
Or by brand alone. Hoya, for example, has some terrific filters and some really bad ones too. That's why tests like Lenstip's are better guides.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-05-2012 at 06:48 AM.
09-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I did a test some time ago, after running into trouble with my super tak 85/1.9 and 50/1.4 and unwanted flare with night shots and bright lights.

What I found was that all my problems with flare and reflections were due to the filters.

I developed a simple test, using the low voltage track lighting in my kitchen, as a bright point source.

Although SMC pentax were the best, they still introduced some reflections. Hoya were also good, just not as good as pentax, then things deteriorated rapidly, with canon, nikon, henry's store brand, and black's cameras store brand all being very bad. There are some middle ground filters such as vivitar, etc, but still reflections were a killer

In the end, this forced me to reconsider the use of filters completely, to the extent that I have taken most of them off and shoot only using filters in fowl weather, where I may get either water drops or grit on the front element. I don't want to clean other than blow dust off the front element.
09-05-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax made two types of filters from the K series till I guess the end of the 80's or early 90's.
All b&w and colour filters were available in the single coated "standard" type and the most popular filters were also available in the "SMC" type.

Pentax also made filters for the 6x7 line and they too were available in SMC and the standard types.

For the OPs A28/2 I would go with the Pentax SMC over any other brand.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 09-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.