Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
There's one thing that I am careful with on my Sigma. The hood is a screw in and a couple of times it has been quite a wrench to unscrew it and I've been a little concerned about damaging the focusing gears. Just to be safe, I make a point of not screwing it on too tightly. I think it's a wonderful lens though.
Out of curiosity, why would you use the lens hood on this lens? The elements are receded enough to cancel the need for one completely. Also, I've never had problems with the hood being hard to get off.... Just dont screw it on harder after its securely on....

10-25-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

I'd say toss up a coin...
They are both great lenses. 15mm length difference may not matter too much but... the shorter Tamron can double as long portrait lens. I find my Sigma tad too long for portraits. I can attest it's perfectly built lens, and the hood? Well I've maybe used it once in 2 years...
Why I went with Sigma? Tamron wasn't in stock and Pentax was too expensive.

you can't go wrong with any of those two IMO

BR
Peter
10-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

I just bought a Tamron for my birthday (I mean my wife gave it to me for my birthday). It's my first non-pentax lens. Although it does feel OK, it does not have the build quality of my DA* and Limited lens. On the other hand, the focus ring is smooth with just enough damping. A real joy to use. I had high expectation with regards to IQ, and I have not been deceived. IQ is very good, even with the Pentax AF 1.7X adapter attached to it. I can't wait to take it outside for a backyard safari next summer. Finally, the reason I bought this lens over the Sigma is because of the bang for the buck factor. I paid 399 $ from Prodigital2000 on Ebay with free shipping, a cleaning kit and a 7 years additionnal guarantee. If you fear droping it, the prolonged guarantee could be a great option. Go for it, you won't regret.
10-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #19

Tamron All the Way

I have the 90mm f/2.8 Tamron and it is in my opinion one of the best lens values on the market today. The length is excellent for a long portrait lens indoors with f/2.8 constant aperture. The construction is top notch and feels strong. Keep in mind the 6 year warranty if you're worried about dropping it. I like the feel of the focus ring when focusing manually. I've been able to get some good macros with it. It is nice and sharp just what you want in a macro lens.

10-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #20
Forum Member

Here's my review of the Sigma 105mm:

Review - Sigma AF 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro | David's Simple Photography
10-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
There's one thing that I am careful with on my Sigma. The hood is a screw in and a couple of times it has been quite a wrench to unscrew it and I've been a little concerned about damaging the focusing gears. Just to be safe, I make a point of not screwing it on too tightly. I think it's a wonderful lens though.

Mate had the same problem with the 70-200 Sigma hood fixed it with a bit of soap and hey presto easy on easy off,put some in the inside of hood and its all good

cheers
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chinotenshi Quote
My husband is looking to pick me up a good macro lens for Christmas this year, and we're stuck between a Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG and a Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro. Any opinions on which would be the better buy? I'd be using it mainly for floral macro and possibly portraits.
Considering your planed usage I would go for the Sigma 70mm rather than than the others as it is a better focal length for portraits. (Its also possibly the best sigma lens ever made) The other two tend to be too long for indoor use as they were originally intended for portrait use on 35mm format.
The main advantage of a longer macro is that gives you a larger working distance at 1:1 which is good for chasing jumpy bugs. at the same time this makes it harder to handhold. Of course if you plan on getting a 70 or 77ltd at some point then the longer focal length make senses!

Here is some photo's from the 70 for you

10-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow! Lots of thanks to everyone. I have my hands full trying to figure out which one to get. I need to see if the camera store will let me try out their display lenses for both. I'd like to actually get a feel for both before I buy, but I probably won't.

10-26-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Considering your planed usage I would go for the Sigma 70mm rather than than the others as it is a better focal length for portraits. (Its also possibly the best sigma lens ever made) The other two tend to be too long for indoor use as they were originally intended for portrait use on 35mm format.
The main advantage of a longer macro is that gives you a larger working distance at 1:1 which is good for chasing jumpy bugs. at the same time this makes it harder to handhold. Of course if you plan on getting a 70 or 77ltd at some point then the longer focal length make senses!

Here is some photo's from the 70 for you
[Images]
I was thinking of getting something in the 70mm range later just to fill out my lens collection. Right now I'm looking for something with a bit longer focal length that'll make it easier to get good up-close crops from a bit away come the next plum blossom festival next March.
The second photo you posted blows my mind, by the way.
10-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
Forum Member

Thanks guys. Both are going for about the same price (maybe only 10,000yen difference) at the local camera shop, so we've been reading reviews of both. They both seem to take some superbly sharp shots, but it's nice to hear opinions of people who actually use the lenses regularly.

We are kind of leaning towards the Sigma, but due to a few reviews my husband found that said the craftmanship isn't all it should be, I've been becoming more and more interested in the Tamron.

Any opinions on how sturdy they are built?
Sigma 70 is solidly built. Much better than DA lenses but not quite as refined as a limited. I assume the 105 is the same since it has the EX designation.
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Im trying out the tamron tomorrow so I'll report back the differences.

To hold you over, a picture of a small praying mantis with the sigma

10-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My husband is looking to pick me up a good macro lens for Christmas this year, and we're stuck between a Sigma MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG and a Tamron SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro. Any opinions on which would be the better buy? I'd be using it mainly for floral macro and possibly portraits.
Both lens does well for both Macro and Portraits. I had both lens and later chose one to sell due to overlapping lens between the two. It is like a coin toss decision. Had I not had my Pentax FA 77mm f/1.8 limited for portrait prime, I would have kept my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 non-Di, which is an older version than the current Di version of Tamron. The Sigma 105mm f/2.8 1:1 Ex DG Macro is a wonderful macro lens. Both lens have focus limiter and both do well in terms of color, sharpness, and ease of use in taking macro shots.

The focal length in 90mm will fit portrait better than the 105mm but it really depends on your use. In outdoor portraits that I tried with my wife both lens does an amazing job for me.

If you want your macro lens to go for the insects and bugs after flowers, the longer focal length along with a longer minimum focusing distance will suit your need better as you can stay a tiny bit farther away from the otherwise dangerous creatures such as the Black Widow Spider that I shot with the Sigma.

Sigma On Spiders

Sigma on Flowers

In terms of build, many people, myself included, prefer the Sigma a bit over the Tamron. The lens hood in Sigma can't be reverse mounted on the lens front -- a bad point that Tamron doesn't have. But again, the Tamron 90mm will fit the portrait setting a bit better. And I love both lens that can double up as a dependable macro as well as a great portrait lens

With Tamron on Flowers

With Tamron on portraits

In essence, I will say you toss the coin and both sides are right for what you are looking.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-26-2009 at 10:53 PM.
10-27-2009, 10:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

nice shots hin, and I do agree that all current macro lenses are fantastic. Personally from experience if you plan on mostly shooting macro your going to want the longest focal length you can afford. Even with 105mm I still have to get a little to close to insects for a full 1:1 shot. Like I said later today Im going to play with a friends newly acquired tamron so I'll let you know what I like/dislike

Who knows, I could like it so much you'll see my signature change and a sigma in the market place
10-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The consensus is clear: you can't lose--just pick one. I love the portraits the Tammy 90mm does for me too.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-31-2010 at 10:53 PM.
10-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
Veteran Member

the sigma is no slouch in portraits either mind you