Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #1

What are the Pro and Cons of using an FA lens with the K-7 instead of a DA lens ?

I need a PRIME lens in the 30mm to 40mm range super fast, ideally f/1.4 or f/1.8.

Initailly I bought the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, it a GREAT LENS but I can not override the AF to MF from the focus ring, I have to move the switch in the camera itself, very inconvenient.

So I am thinking now using one of the Pentax FA lenses, like the FA 31mm f/1.8, but I do not know what I am loosing by doing that ?, what are the main differences between DA and FA ?

Right now I have the DA L 21mm f/3.2, it's a great lens, small and fast, but in low light situations it's not very good.

Thanks

10-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't believe FA lenses have quickshift like your DA21. I think you'll have to use the on-body switch to go from AF to MF with them as well. (It's been a while since I used my FA50, so I can't be sure.)
10-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quickshift is not available on the FAs. I have the DA 21 and 70 which I like a lot. I also have the FA31 which I also like a lot. I tend to use either autofocus or manual focus - I don't really take advantage of the quickshift so it is not that big of a deal for me.

The DA lenses have different/extra coatings to eliminate reflections from the sensor.

The DA lenses are a bit smaller.

You can still get some of the FA limiteds which were made in Japan. QC seems to have been better on those. I have sent my DAs back to Pentax to repair loose lens barrels. Quite a few folks have had an issue with this.

FAs are faster and are all very good wide open.
10-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FA 31 doesn't have quick shift, as has been noticed. Besides that, there's nothing you will lose, and everything you will gain. It is just a beautiful lens.

10-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Quick shift can be simulated on non-quickshift lenses with decoupling AF button from the shutter and pressing bayonet lock button (easily with your ring finger). Try at your own risk (but I use it regularly with my FA 50).
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
FA 31 doesn't have quick shift, as has been noticed. Besides that, there's nothing you will lose, and everything you will gain. It is just a beautiful lens.

But the Sigma 30mm is a great lens as well. In Canon-land, this is the generally prefered "normal" lens for crop users (compared to the MUCH more expensive Canon 35mm f/1.4 L)

If you're happy with the Sigma 30mm, keep it! Not sure if you'd notice a whole ton of difference between it and the 31 Limited (especially in "handling" as both lack quick-shift focus)