Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

I think I'm ready to do it...

That is sell all my canon gear and pick up as many limited's as I can with the cash from the sale but I have a couple questions first.

First which is better the 70mm or the 77mm, I'm sure it's been debated over and over, but I'm looking at things like quality of OOF area, contrast, wide open performance so on.

Second I read rave reviews on both the 31mm Limited and the 35mm F2, again which has the better performance, I know I'd lean more to the 31 because of the slightly shorter FL.

I'm sure there all great lenses, but I don't want to regret getting one I didn't want. Also important to me is minimal focus distance for all the aforementioned lenses as I love to take close ups (pseudo-macro) with varying angles of view.

Thanks so much in advance I know it's a lot to ask!

P.S. Know anyone looking for Canon gear?

06-01-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
First which is better the 70mm or the 77mm, I'm sure it's been debated over and over, but I'm looking at things like quality of OOF area, contrast, wide open performance so on.
James has the 77 and I have the 70 it depends on what you want more.. the 77mm has slightly better bokeh, but wide open for the 70mm (2.4) and stopped down to 2.4 for the 77mm the 70mm is still sharper especially at the edges/sides of the frame..70mm being a newer didgital design lens not too suprisingly has slightly better PF resistance.. The 77 has that great solid metal build however that, I think, contributes to its slower AF performance compared to the 70... They're both great lenses though, I added some reviews for you..

70mm

Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited - Photozone Review / Test Report

77mm

Pentax SMC-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited - Photozone Review / Test Report

QuoteQuote:
Second I read rave reviews on both the 31mm Limited and the 35mm F2, again which has the better performance, I know I'd lean more to the 31 because of the slightly shorter FL.
Again James has the more expensive 31Ltd and I have the FA35.. First off a HUGE price difference. I have compared them and in sharpness I see no difference. The only difference I could find was in the bokeh if there are spots of bright light the 31mm renders spheres whereas the 35 can render hexagons.. For me that isn't worth the 3x price increase, of course it is for others, along with the great metal build quality of the 31ltd...

QuoteQuote:
No sorry
06-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote

hmmm.. what you got?