Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

[ask] K-x/K-m/K2000 using Carl Zeiss ZK (Pentax Mount)

I`m new to dslr and considering to buy K-x with additional 1 MF lens from Carl Zeiss with ZK (for Pentax Mount). Though i`m still confuse between Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 or Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2 Makro ( or maybe Ultron 40mm f/2).

question :
- is it really ZK version for Pentax K Mount, no required an adapter anymore?
- is there any special setup in body camera? or just plug and play

10-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it could be better if you buy FA43 LIMITED or DA40 LIMITED.
Or even DA*55/1.4.
FA43 is outstanding. DA40 is so small and so good for K-x.
No need to spend money with Zeiss or Ultron.

Why don't you want to buy Pentax lenses?

your questions
1. Yes.
2. It's A version of lenses - plug and play.
10-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think it could be better if you buy FA43 LIMITED or DA40 LIMITED.
Or even DA*55/1.4.
FA43 is outstanding. DA40 is so small and so good for K-x.
No need to spend money with Zeiss or Ultron.

Why don't you want to buy Pentax lenses?

your questions
1. Yes.
2. It's A version of lenses - plug and play.
julia, the Carl Zeiss ZK 50mm f/1.4 is the modern version of the 50mm Planar. This lens is made by Cosina, ZK means it follows the Pentax PKA mount. This lens is different in design from the renowned 50mm f/1.4 T* Planar made for Contax/Yashica. You would need to modify the earlier Contax version to fit the Pentax K mount. The Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 50mm f/2 is a fast macro lens but it only focuses to 1:2 or half life size. You need to determine if you prefer larger max aperture vs closer focusing.

ogl, I don't think you or anyone else for that matter have the right to tell another person what not to buy. Pentax prime lenses are fine lenses, but even they are well matched by the Zeiss or Voigtlander lenses.
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
they are only manual focus arnt they? I wouldnt mind that but I cant focus properly with my eyes not being as young as they used to be. (even with focus screen)

10-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julia Quote
I`m new to dslr and considering to buy K-x with additional 1 MF lens from Carl Zeiss with ZK (for Pentax Mount). Though i`m still confuse between Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 or Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/2 Makro ( or maybe Ultron 40mm f/2).

question :
The only thing you have to remember is to set the in-body stabilization focal length. It'll pop up when you turn on the camera with a manual focus lens attached. But since you'll have only one, you can leave it set at 40 or 50, whatever you decide.

I've used both ZK and Voigtlander lenses (though not the ones you're talking about)--they're all made by the same company, Cosina, and they're a real pleasure to use. The aperture is set in the body, so like an A series pentax lens, without needing to adjust the aperture ring.

The Voigtlander 58mm/1.4 Nokton (just to add to your confusion) is cheaper than the Zeiss 50, but very well built and has a lot of fans here.
10-29-2009, 06:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks a lot for all replies.

Sure Pentax has fine lenses. Maybe 6 month later i will buy DA 40mm f2.8 and/or DA70mm f2.4 and/or DA35mm f2.8 Macro etc. But this CZ/CV is the only one MF collection forever ( maybe ).

@farfisa
thanks, i hope this Shake Reduction feature really work on MF for daily use or walkaround. So i do not need to buy an autofocus prime lens in 40-60mm range .

thanks pentaxian ....
10-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #7

I got a 2 CZ Jena M42 screw mount lenses with my K2000. 50mm f1.8 and f2.8. both works fine with SR. No issue at all. All you need is a M42-K mount adapter.

10-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I've moved this to the SLR Lens forum, as it seems to be more about the lenses than the camera.
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
thanks a lot for all replies.

Sure Pentax has fine lenses. Maybe 6 month later i will buy DA 40mm f2.8 and/or DA70mm f2.4 and/or DA35mm f2.8 Macro etc. But this CZ/CV is the only one MF collection forever ( maybe ).

@farfisa
thanks, i hope this Shake Reduction feature really work on MF for daily use or walkaround. So i do not need to buy an autofocus prime lens in 40-60mm range .

thanks pentaxian ....
I've used both Zeiss ZK and Voigtländer KA lenses on Pentax K-m body, they are indeed plug-and-play and produce great images.

As farfisa mentions, the Voigtländer Nokton 58mm is very popular here. I own it but I am thinking to also buy the Ultron, because the 40mm focal-length is a bit more useful. If will only buy one lens to start, then the Ultron would be more versatile. The size of the Ultron would work well with the K-m / K-x . The price is very reasonable.

The image-stabilization on the K-x works great. Here is an image from Voigtländer Nokton 58mm at 1/15s.

To get the best results from these manual-focus lenses, you really need to install a split-image focus-screen (replace the standard screen that comes with the camera).
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #10

Please look at my Zeiss Contax 45mm Tessar for sale for $390 or maybe it is $380, and it has a Pentax K mount. It was just listed yesterday and this lens is ultra-sharp, it was formerly withdranl due to complaints about how I wrote up the description, so you can see sample photos in both listings that were taken with this lens.
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

question :
one special point. Set the function for Use aperture ring.
01-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
one special point. Set the function for Use aperture ring.
Being an A lens, you don't need to set this

But I enabled this item the first thing when I got my K7/K20D/K10D ...
01-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Enjoy your CZ lens Julia, I use a few older CZs, M42 mount and a Jenazoom, as mentioned earlier, just set the focal length when you power up the camera and you will be fine, enjoy.
01-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hi Julia, I think a good alternative to the ZK lenses would be the Voigtlander 58mm nokton. It's also in PK-A mount.
04-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #15

This is a plug and pay without any adapter. See the site Leitax and you will see this pro does it.

Vaughn Martin
vaughnm@aol.com