Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

lens hood

Hey all, I just botught the K-X and is looking into purchasing a lens hood for the kit lens

1. does the lens hood diameter correspond to the filter diameter specified for the lens?
2. Is the pentax lenses screw-mount? will this lens hood work? (Massa Camera Lens Hood)

DealExtreme: $5.81 Massa Camera Lens Hood (for 52mm Diameter Lens)

Thanks all!

10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
Hey all, I just botught the K-X and is looking into purchasing a lens hood for the kit lens

1. does the lens hood diameter correspond to the filter diameter specified for the lens?
2. Is the pentax lenses screw-mount? will this lens hood work? (Massa Camera Lens Hood)

Thanks all!
Hrm, did you not get one with yours? I got a kit lens, (The DA II) with my K20, and it came with. It so happens I spotted one on Ebay last night while looking around for something else, though. I'll see if I can find it again and put up the link in an edit.

Ok, here it is: actually it seems someone makes copies: For this money, you might try looking at Pentax's own site store or elsewhere and get the genuine article. The part number on mine is 'PH-RBA 52mm'

Here's that link, anyway: seems a few sellers have em for the same price. (These copies do seem to have the filter window. Can't vouch for quality, though. http://cgi.ebay.com/PH-RBA-52mm-Lens-Hood-for-Pentax-DA-18-55mm-F3-5-5-6-AL_...item5632993d34

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-29-2009 at 11:55 AM.
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

the DA L kit lenses don't come with hoods. I'm not sure if that one will work, it probably should, and will just be a bit less long than the 18-55mm hood from the looks of it. Won't work as well (and probably doesn't include the window for adjusting a filter polarizer), but won't cause vignetting - from the looks of it again.

The pentax hood is PH-RBA / PH-RBA52 , an is $10 more on ebay right now. I've heard the've gone for $10 but not sure where.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-29-2009 at 12:45 PM.
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Peeked at Pentax webstore and the genuine article is 32 dollars and out of stock. I guess I might suggest trying one of these Chinese copies I just found: they actually fit as they're supposed to and look like they'll probably be less hassle. Unless anyone's got a real one here on the Marketplace.

And I disapprove of Pentax sending beginners out there without lens hoods. Come on, folks, that little bit of plastic goes a long way.

10-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Try this.

eBay Store - jiakgong DIGITAL: Step Up Rings, LCD Hoods Screens, for Cokin P series

Mickey
10-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blu3ness Quote
will this lens hood work? (Massa Camera Lens Hood)

The Massa lens hoods will work. But attaching/removing it to/from the lens is not convenient: the hood is screwed into the filter thread, and a lock ring on the hood is used to make sure the hood is at the correct position. It's OK if you plan to attach the hood to the lens all the time.

In addition, attaching/removing filter is clumsy as well.

I recommend the genuine Pentax lens hood. It is bayoneted to the lens (not to the filter thread), much more convenient.
10-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
the DA L kit lenses don't come with hoods.

WT...um...heck?!
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter

B&H Photo and Adorama have them for less than the Pentax site.

10-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
WT...um...heck?!
I think Pentax assumes newbies wouldn't like the hassle of a lens hood and wouldn't even understand why its there. And it saves on money.

I plan to use my 18-55mm II on my new K-x, or at least steal the hood. I don't really care about the plastic mount, nor quick shift on the 18-55mm.

On the 50-200 and 55-300, there is no way I'm getting the DA L version because it doesn't have quick shift - and slow telephoto lenses are exactly where quick shift are needed, for me at least. And the lenses are longer/heavier on the plastic mount. Hood I could buy easily for the difference in price with the kit.
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
The Massa lens hoods will work. But attaching/removing it to/from the lens is not convenient: the hood is screwed into the filter thread, and a lock ring on the hood is used to make sure the hood is at the correct position. It's OK if you plan to attach the hood to the lens all the time.

In addition, attaching/removing filter is clumsy as well.

I recommend the genuine Pentax lens hood. It is bayoneted to the lens (not to the filter thread), much more convenient.
Thanks, that's all I need.

I don't think I will be getting a filter with the lens, so the lens hood will be sufficient protection.
10-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Hrm. I' just as soon spend the money on either a knockoff that bayonets on, or maybe the real one, if the money's not much to you. This stock one is pretty much zero hassle and there'll be no fussing about it once you have it. If the copies are good enough, this will also be better than worrying about how to cap those screw-on types every time you use it.

I'm very much an advocate for hoods, myself. I'll go well out of my way if I need to to have one on a lens, ... I'd say, just get what fits on the bayonet and park it there. Thereafter, you can forget about it. Probably worth the extra ten bucks.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-29-2009 at 01:50 PM.
11-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Kit lens 18-55mm lens hood

The Pentax lens hood is very nice - it reverses to bayonet on the lens for compact storage, and the little removable panel for adjusting a polarizer is a great idea. The petal shape furnishes the best possible compromise between a wide angle and short tele lens shade. What is NOT so great is that with constant use - I've had my K10d for about 2 years - the bayonet device on the hood (and to a lesser extent on the lens) wears to the point where the hood can and will drop off the lens and roll under a car or whatever.

I queried Pentax' customer service and they suggested perhaps some gaffer tape. Bah! Pentax extorts $30+; I finally got one from B&H for about $20 plus shipping.

The Pentax hood for my 50mm 1.2 also reverses on the lens, but it uses a little spring-loaded device which engages the filter threads. No worry about wear. While it will fit the 18-55 it won't handle the 18mm setting without "cutting the corners" so to speak. I'd be curious to hear comments from other users about after market hoods.
11-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
And I disapprove of Pentax sending beginners out there without lens hoods. Come on, folks, that little bit of plastic goes a long way.
Agreed -- why not give people the best chance possible of getting a nicer shot (if they choose to use the hood). It only reinforces the product image.