Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimo Quote
Now that i have experience with both lenses, i am able to relate what you say.
i am very fine with the DA.

Cannot understand why FA does not have a tripod mount
That's easily solved. Get a Canon 70-200 f4 white tripod collar off Ebay for around $25.00 and it fits very well. I've used one like this for a couple of years. So that's a non-issue

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Well, a hell no is the answer.

Fa* 300/4.5 has a significant problem with bokeh rendering - harsh, distracting and forming imperfect specular highlight. It can be sharp but the lens lacks the pentax look coming from F* 300/4.5.

Da* 300/4 is having much better autofocus at least. The barrel is not prone to paint loss!
Sorry James, I disagree. The FA* renders just fine thanks.
Example: More seen on this thread: Foxes

I just had that image printed 16x 20 and it's really something. The background is smooth as butter. I have lots of images from this lens like this and many have highlights in the backgrounds.

So sorry, the FA* 300mm f4.5 comes extremely highly recommended from me. In fact As I've owned both the A*85mm f1.4, the FA*85mm f1.4 and the FA*300mm f4.5. If I could choose only one, it would be the 300mm. Second would be the A*. Everyone lusts after the FA*85mm and IMO having used both a lot, the 300mm is a better lens in the final image, albeit a very different focal range.