Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
18-55 WR 129 on amazon.

Beach Camera, through Amazon has the 18-55 WR lens on sale for 129.00 shipped. Just ordered one to go with my K10D.

I laugh in the general direction of raindrops.

10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,264
Nice to see the price on these coming down. Post your impressions and some photos when you get a chance.

Steve
10-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
This has got to be the best kit lens deal ever.
10-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
Very tempting, especially since I'm sitting on about $450 in Amazon gift certificates. But I've been trying to decide between a 16-45, 17-50, or new tripod now, or wait a little longer and grab a 16-50. This doesn't help things one bit.

10-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
This has got to be the best kit lens deal ever.
That makes me feel better about pulling the trigger. I'm hoping to sell my original 18-55 and some other unused gear to help calm the wife. I've been back into SLR's about 8 months and I've bought and sold about 10 lenses! Like a kid with really expensive baseball cards.
10-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,206
Cursed no WR body!
10-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
I went to beachcamera's site and while the heading for the listing says WR, the image they show is only the 18-55mm DA II version - the detailed description in their listing also does not mention WR - I would check with them before ordering - they are definitely reputable but it could be a honest mistake in the listing as well!
10-30-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,270
Hmm, not much of a premium for the weather sealing; the standard 18-55 mkii is $115.

10-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I went to beachcamera's site and while the heading for the listing says WR, the image they show is only the 18-55mm DA II version - the detailed description in their listing also does not mention WR - I would check with them before ordering - they are definitely reputable but it could be a honest mistake in the listing as well!
The Amazon description says weather resistant although the picture shows the normal DA. The original price is also listed as 260. It's already shipped, I'll see when it gets here.
10-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Very tempting, especially since I'm sitting on about $450 in Amazon gift certificates. But I've been trying to decide between a 16-45, 17-50, or new tripod now, or wait a little longer and grab a 16-50. This doesn't help things one bit.
same here! I've just decided on DA16-45 after agonizing over 'DA18-55WR' vs 'DA16-45' for several days.. now i have to weigh the benefits of price/size/WR vs wider/sharper AGAIN....
10-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
The Amazon description says weather resistant although the picture shows the normal DA. The original price is also listed as 260. It's already shipped, I'll see when it gets here.
The review of the lens for Beach Camera says it WR too.

I ordered one. I need a wide angle, and the price is just too good. If ain't WR, it's going back. No big deal.
11-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member
VaughnA's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,363
Original Poster
I just received it this afternoon. It is indeed a WR version. Great deal for the price. I guess I'll be putting my old kit lens up for sale soon.

When's the next rainstorm.
11-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 962
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I just received it this afternoon. It is indeed a WR version. Great deal for the price. I guess I'll be putting my old kit lens up for sale soon.

When's the next rainstorm.
Indeed.

When's the 50-200mm WR go on sale for 129? This is a nice lens and an excellent deal.

Thanks for the heads up.
11-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 55
Wow, saw that deal too on the 18-55WR. Tempting indeed. Was thinking of the 16-45 f/4.0 as well. Then it got even more complicated when I found that B&H carries a weather-resistant 18-55mm DA* with SDM--though it is currently out of stock and nearly twice the price of the WR version.

With my former DSLR system I had a nice C*n*n USM zoom that was silent and wickedly fast with AF. Is SDM a big upgrade over the Pentax screw-drive AF, or no big deal?
11-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,920
QuoteOriginally posted by vodoc Quote
Wow, saw that deal too on the 18-55WR. Tempting indeed. Was thinking of the 16-45 f/4.0 as well. Then it got even more complicated when I found that B&H carries a weather-resistant 18-55mm DA* with SDM--though it is currently out of stock and nearly twice the price of the WR version.

With my former DSLR system I had a nice C*n*n USM zoom that was silent and wickedly fast with AF. Is SDM a big upgrade over the Pentax screw-drive AF, or no big deal?
There is no DA*18-55mm SDM. Are you thinking of the DA*16-50mm f/2.8 which is WR? There is also the DA 16-45mm f/4 that is not WR

SDM is quieter. No speed improvements. Also, it seems to break a lot from what I hear around here. But I don't have one myself.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo of the Week #129, August 29- September 12, 2010 jmschrei Weekly Photo Challenges 38 09-12-2010 09:28 AM
K-x #2 on Amazon... johnmflores Pentax News and Rumors 6 05-11-2010 09:33 PM
Winner: Challenge #129 - Hand Coloring slinco Weekly Photo Challenges 3 04-08-2010 07:13 PM
Weekly Challenge #129 - Hand Coloring slinco Weekly Photo Challenges 8 04-02-2010 06:45 AM
Amazon Taff General Talk 4 09-27-2008 04:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:59 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top