Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Hoya IS Kenko
The relationship between Hoya and Kenko is not the same as that with Pentax. Pentax is Hoya, but while Hoya and Kenko have a close working realationship, and each may well own some shares of the other they are not the same company. I suspect there is some shared manufaturing and technology here but each is separate. I understand that Kenko produce the rings for Hoya filters, and obviously, Hoya produce the glass for Kenko. In any event, Hoya does not offer their HD filters in 49mm at this time but Kenko does offer that size in their Zeta line.

10-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to Japan and you won't find any Hoya filters in the shops... but Kenko.
10-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
HD stands for High Definition, and these filters are tough - employing a technology used in eye glasses to make the glass stronger. Also the polarizers have less light loss,
Yes but the Super HMC filters are cheaper and let through more light (apart from the polarizer versions) and thus affect IQ less - so unless people plan to go into combat with their filters - the HD filters seem a bit of overkill.
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Hoya IS Kenko
True but isn't it curious that the aforementioned filter reviews and comparisons at lenstip.com give very different results/ratings to Kenko and like item under Hoya label?

The thing that gets me about filters the most is the prices. For example, I just bought a Marumi Super DHG 77mm CPL made in Japan (rated #1 overall in the Lenstip review) online for about CA$88 delivered to my door and a Hoya Super HMC 77mm CPL at my nearest camera store (70km away) is CA$250

11-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

+ 1 for B+W MRC F-Pro or B+W MRC XS Pro.
11-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #21
Inactive Account

How is it no one mentioned Heliopan?

For example on my 50mmFA f2 has an s52 KR Skylight-0.

INMHO Heliopan manufactures the very best lens filters ever made.
11-14-2009, 03:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
How is it no one mentioned Heliopan?
Unfortunately they didn't do so well in the only comprehensive comparison I have found so far..

Polarizing filters test - Heliopan ES Pol circ. SH-PMC 72 mm - Lenstip.com

Polarizing filters test - Heliopan ES Pol circ. Kasemann 72 mm - Lenstip.com

11-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #23
Inactive Account

The "which is best" question is difficult to address without specifying factors with which to weigh an exhaustive list of parameters.

It is a little easier (but not by much) to address a question like "which has no detectable, deleterious side effects?", but this also requires an impossibly long list of criteria, including such things as "manufacturing oil on ring" or "ugliness of engraving."

Responses that *require* a device to be expensive to be "best" are silly unless "high cost" is listed as an objective measure of "best". While high performance devices are often positively correlated with high cost, cost can be only an indirect correlate of any other property... it costs a lot less to hand figure an optical device in certain prisons than at a high end optics firm in Zurich.

Find the most expensive filter you can; I will sell you one for more; a lot more.

I am sorry for this sophomoric plea for precision in language, but only a little sorry.

Dave in Iowa

Last edited by newarts; 11-14-2009 at 06:56 AM.
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The "which is best" question is difficult to address without specifying factors with which to weigh an exhaustive list of parameters.

It is a little easier (but not by much) to address a question like "which has no detectable, deleterious side effects?", but this also requires an impossibly long list of criteria, including such things as "manufacturing oil on ring" or "ugliness of engraving."

Responses that *require* a device to be expensive to be "best" are silly unless "high cost" is listed as an objective measure of "best". While high performance devices are often positively correlated with high cost, cost can be only an indirect correlate of any other property... it costs a lot less to hand figure an optical device in certain prisons than at a high end optics firm in Zurich.

Find the most expensive filter you can; I will sell you one for more; a lot more.

I am sorry for this sophomoric plea for precision in language, but only a little sorry.

Dave in Iowa
Yes sophomoric but with such pomposity one could not imagine.

The reason for suggesting Heliopan with due respect.

The Schott glass, the slim mount, brass rings and threads. Without using cost as a factor. Having mounted a plethora of filters form a multitude of manufacturers.

I find Heliopan performance the best so far. The Hoya glass has also proven to be quite profoundly exceptional.

This is based on the 30 years of photographic work experience. I am a bit partial to Heliopan from the experience with full frame film.

But my findings are ringing the same accolades with the advent of digital.

I do not look at reviews or tests, I look at what has worked with the best results in capturing images.

I fart in your general direction! ... and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

IDE

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 11-14-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: mo inf
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Dave,
My original question was generic and very open ended, as most dumb questions are.

With reference to CPL's the question would be which does the best job of reducing glare etc, which they all claim to be the best at.

I now have a couple of different brands and will have a bit of fun one day soon carrying out my own tests to see which suits my needs the best, before buying anymore.
Cheers
Grant
11-14-2009, 11:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I use B + W UV filters on all my modern lenses. I've been happy with them. Wish I could fit a B + W filter on my Pentax 10-17 fisheye..
11-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote

The reason for suggesting Heliopan with due respect.

The Schott glass, the slim mount, brass rings and threads. Without using cost as a factor. Having mounted a plethora of filters form a multitude of manufacturers......
Yay! Reasons for claim of general superiority! Yay! Tone of generalization! Yay yay! Exclusion of price as direct measure of quality! Yay! Yay! Yay!

QuoteQuote:
I fart in your general direction! ... and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
IDE
Elderberries? Elderberries? I am stunned by the poetic beauty of your tauntaolgy!

Dave in Iowa
11-15-2009, 03:36 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
With reference to CPL's the question would be which does the best job of reducing glare etc, which they all claim to be the best at....
I think they are all pretty good at reducing glare due to polarization because of the underlying physics and OEM materials available; "best" will be found in peripheral matters (ie a difference in extinction coefficient between .995 and .998 will be insignificant compared to distortion introduction due to non-flat glass).

Details to consider might include Brass vs Aluminum for long term anti-binding & smoothness of operation, Engraved alignment marks, Multicoating for flare reduction, etc..

Optical things to consider might include lack of tint and the fraction of unpolarized light passed...I think Hoya has a new line that is good in this area.

QuoteQuote:
I now have a couple of different brands and will have a bit of fun one day soon carrying out my own tests to see which suits my needs the best, before buying anymore
Cheers
Grant
I look forward to hearing/seeing your results!
11-15-2009, 07:03 AM   #29
wll
Veteran Member

My UV Filter On All My Lenses Is

The B+W's UV Haze 010 (MRC) Multi-Resistant Coating F-Pro.

I don't know if it is the "BEST" or not, but it is definitely high quality. I figure if I'm spending a small (not so small) fortune in glass, a less than quality filter ruins your purchase.

I have been very pleased with the quality of the glass and the quality of the filter ring on these filters.

wll
09-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

For my part I've used various filters over the years including HOYA HMC/Pro1D/HD, B+W XS-PRO MRC and Tiffens of all sorts but by far and away I've found Kenko Zeta's to be the best in terms of their flare & reflection control and overall construction.

The Zeta's are easy to clean too. I don't know if they are the same glass as the HOYA HD but the ring assembly and fit is far superior to the HD's.

My 2c