Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are dozens of filter brands. I have stuck with Hoya and B&W in recent years. Not to knock any others but I have stayed with what I have had good experiences with. I avoid the off brands. I had a Tri-Star CPL that came free with a Sigma lens I bought. Free was about all it was worth. Best Buy sells a brand called Rocket Fish, another I will avoid.

09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I use nothing but B+W filters. Either clear or UV and to anticipate any questions I have absolutely no issues using UV.

I use B+W on all my lenses except my 10-17 fisheye (can't fit a filter), my 70 and 40 mm Limited's, which I can't seem to fit a filter on either.

I use filters for one reason....added protection of my lenses.

I've tested my lenses...with filter....without filter. I can't see any difference. But that's why I get B+W. They are expensive but excellent quality glass, IMO.

My experience tells me that the old adage of you get what you pay for...is absolutely correct.
09-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Use a lot of B+Ws but I find the new Hoya HDs to be excellent.
I concur, however I find they Hoya filters to be a nuisance to keep clean. B+W and Lee filters are by far the easiest - though, never use acetone to clean resin filters by Lee.

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
How is it no one mentioned Heliopan?
Heliopan filters have been around for a very, very long time. I don't have much experience with them, but from what I have observed like singh-ray and tiffen their optical filter coatings can be scratched quite easily. I have seen Tiffen linear polarisers with click stops at 45 degree intervals which was a rather novel idea.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-28-2013 at 09:54 PM.
09-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #34
Banned

I started using B+W nano pro because I shoot in light rain sometimes with my FA35, plus I use the DA40 hood on it, so I needed a slim, 30,5 filter to put inside, so the nano worked out perfect. Light spray rolls right off.

Hoyas work well, with little to no difference in IQ, BUT they are tough to clean. Our local supermarkets sell boxes of eyeglass cleaning towels for less than 1 EUR. Those clean the filters and front elements very well, although they are too wet to not leave streaks and residues. Once they lose a bit of moisture, they are perfect.

09-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with these filters is that even a single brand makes different quality filters, and not all qualities are available in all sizes.
The other problem is that if you buy online you can get a knockoff or old stock.. The best you can do is buy it, test it, and sell it if it doesnt meet your requirements. Then buy a different one until you get what you want.

Edit: And avoid the absolute cheapest filters, they can have problems like being easily damaged or getting hazy..