Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Size is a pretty big "other than," for me. A K-x with a DA21/40/70 attached is an irresistible package for a coat pocket or waistpack.
I don't know about a jacket pocket. Maybe a coat pocket. To me, "small for a dslr" is not small. Even with a pancake lens mounted, the K-x is a bit of a brick compared to a compact, p&s etc.

For a casual walkabout I carry my K-x or K20D with one lens mounted and spare prime, in a shoulder bag that's smaller than the average woman's purse. Whether I mount a small prime or a larger zoom doesn't make any difference, it fits in the main compartment. Another compartment carries a spare prime (the largest is the D FA 100). Smaller size is nice but it doesn't really impact this setup. I find the shoulder bag, with spare lens and batteries is very convenient package, and is easier to live with than a camera around my neck.

04-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
What is the current thinking on the following lenses?
  • Pentax 21mm F/3.2 AL Limited
  • Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL-II
  • Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZK Distagon T*
  • CZJ Flektogon 20/2.8 (M42)
  • Sigma EX Wide-angle lens 20 mm f1.8
I had similar doubts. Few months ago I found A20 in good price. At the begining I tested it against DA12-24 and found that A20 is less contrast and similar in sharpness. With K20D I have problems with exposure metering. It is like lotto and in fact I constantly need to check histogram. I have FA*24 and never had such problems.

1/125s f/8.0 at 20.0mm iso200

few more shots: Pentax smc P-A 20mm f/2.8 Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
04-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I am the very happy owner of the DA21. However, I am yearning for the 20mm FOV on film in a compact lens.

The price of the A 20/2.8 or even the M 20/4 are pretty high. I almost never see these on Ebay. A "like new" M 20/4 at KEH is the same price as a brand new Cosina Voigtlander, and the C-V would have auto aperture capability, slightly faster max aperture and new warranty at about the same size. I know the 20/2.8 is a legend, but is the M 20/4 so much better that a ~30 year old example should fetch such a price?
I paid approxmately 300$ for the smc-M 20mm f4 in December 2008 (before there was the new Voigtländer) and I do not have much regrets. On digital it is a great lens. On film the 49mm filter ring may cause vignetting.
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't know about a jacket pocket. Maybe a coat pocket. To me, "small for a dslr" is not small. Even with a pancake lens mounted, the K-x is a bit of a brick compared to a compact, p&s etc.

For a casual walkabout I carry my K-x or K20D with one lens mounted and spare prime, in a shoulder bag that's smaller than the average woman's purse. Whether I mount a small prime or a larger zoom doesn't make any difference, it fits in the main compartment. Another compartment carries a spare prime (the largest is the D FA 100). Smaller size is nice but it doesn't really impact this setup. I find the shoulder bag, with spare lens and batteries is very convenient package, and is easier to live with than a camera around my neck.
Everyone is different. A K-x with one pancake and a second pancake will both fit in a winter jacket pocket. It also fits in a relatively small waist pack. Neither is possible with a zoom or a K20d. It surprised me, too. With the K20d, zoom or DAltd is the same to me.

04-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I paid approxmately 300$ for the smc-M 20mm f4 in December 2008 (before there was the new Voigtländer) and I do not have much regrets. On digital it is a great lens. On film the 49mm filter ring may cause vignetting.
I'd have few qualms about that price for a nice one, either. Even the "bargains" are more than that, now.
10-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I'd have few qualms about that price for a nice one, either. Even the "bargains" are more than that, now.
Are they? Still I'm not sure whether I wouldn't be more happy with the DA limited. I have to find someone who actually made a comaprision, or someone nearby who owns DA21 and compare them myself.
10-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #37
Pentaxian

IQ, sharpness, richness in color, wonderful contrast are what I am interested in.
I feel that you just described what I love about my DA21. And you ask for a light and small lens.

The Sigma is probably very good once stopped down to around f3.2, but wide open it's average, and it's large. The other lenses you comment on are supposed to be great, but I've never used them. But the DA21 is special all right.
10-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the current thinking on the following lenses?

* Pentax 21mm F/3.2 AL Limited
* Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL-II
* Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 ZK Distagon T*
* CZJ Flektogon 20/2.8 (M42)
* Sigma EX Wide-angle lens 20 mm f1.8
Here are my thoughts (in no particular order).

I had Sigma 18/3.5 in KA mount. It was a fine lens with one exception - I had really hard time focusing it accurately at closer than infinity range. I have weak eyes. Adding Katz Eye helped but at f/3.5 the split screen was blacking out when I did not position my eye accurately enough in the viewfinder. Therefore I would cautiously advise against Voigt 20/3.5 lens.

Since the days of unreliable green button metering of K10D, I don't use any pre-KA mount lenses. Therefore Flektogon is also out of this list, IMHO.

I have Pentax DA 21/3.2 which is a fine lens, but it is a bit slow and not as sharp wide open as I would like. The size, the colors and the OOF rendering are nice however.

Sigma is a good optic but huge compared to DA 21/3.2.

Although not present in this list, I actually opted for FA 20/2.8 which I bought from a fellow forum member. My copy proves to be sharper wide open than DA 21/3.2. So DA 21/3.2 has become a wide lens for my daughter and for me FA 20/2.8 does the job quite nicely. The only disadvantage compared to DA 21 is that it has no quick shift focusing which is very convenient. But being 2.8 lens, it is easy enough to focus manually with the Katz Eye focusing screen, so I still prefer FA 20/2.8 over DA 21/3.2.

10-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I have Pentax DA 21/3.2 which is a fine lens, but it is a bit slow and not as sharp wide open as I would like. The size, the colors and the OOF rendering are nice however.
In which situations did you find this lens was not sharp enough, and when did you need to shoot it wide open?

I am thinking about buying the 21 3.2... but I have heard more than once that the 20 2.8 is a good buy too.

Does the difference between 3.2 and 2.8 really help you expose your image indoors, or is it more of a focusing thing?
10-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
In which situations did you find this lens was not sharp enough, and when did you need to shoot it wide open?
As for me...

I personally find it more than "sharp enough"... and I frequently use it wide open, since it's part of my two lenses low light combo.
10-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the one you want, if you can find it and if you can afford it when it is found:

SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Steve

(Would love to have one...)