Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My LBA rules, and whoud you break them?

I have resisted LBA quite a bit by restricting my purchases to things that are wider, lonter or faster than I already have. With Zooms from 28 to 200mm at F2.8, this does not leave a lot of room.

I already have a vivitar 85mm F1.4, so if you happened onto a 85mm F1.9 super - tak for about 40% less than what they sell for on E-bay, what would you do?

p.e. I'll post the first shots with the new toy shortly

10-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Great answer!
10-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd say the Super is quite a bit different from what the Vivitar is, plus you got a good deal on it, so I'd say it's OK to break, as long as you aren't missing rent or something because of the outlay.
10-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure you've already asked yourself why you would want to have the Super-Tak. If you're gonna use it, you should have it!

So use it and show us what it does for you!

10-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
favourite home subject
Attached Images

10-31-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the bokeh is a little different than the vivitar 85. I don;t recall it doing this?

Check the green outline.

I think I will need to do a side by side with the vivitar, and really compare them.
Attached Images

10-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

Not sure I see that. It's a light green plant against a green background and I'm looking for a green (out)line? Tough to tell. But some of these older lenses will exhibit green or purple fringing in OOF areas.

As you already did, of course you should buy it. Especially if you can make a profit if it does not get used. I think there are 2 types of LBA
1) buying lenses just to increase the size of the camera bag and your signature line but you don't really use them.
2) buying up to a better lens that you use, that replaces another that you will sell to offset the costs. Thus increasing the quality of the camera bag instead of the quantity.

So if you liked the 85mm FL and the Tak is better, then you sell the Vivitar, that's really not a serious LBA issue.

10-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Lowell, just a question, what camera are you using with both lenses? just bought myself the Rokinon version last thursday.
10-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am using my K10D as a MF body these days.

I had the shutter fail in may, and decided it was worth fixing, but also decided that I wanted the K7 for other reasons, principally higher ISO.

I had already put the split image (jinfinance) into my K10D.

I have K mount primes from 24mm to 400mm the only thing I am really missing in K mount is a 35. (i presently have tamron 24 & 28 mm F2.5, SMC 50mm 1.4, 105mm F2.8 135 mm F2.5 and 300mm F4 and vivitar 85 F1.4 and 400 F5.6)

and am toying with the idea of making a screw mount kit. to go with he K mount kit. But I want to really go for lenses that behave differently.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 10-31-2009 at 03:19 PM.
10-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There is some noticable green fringe around the branches. CA maybe? I get that sometimes with tree branches on my 200/f4 Super Tak, especially on cloudy days.
10-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K20DPent Quote
Not sure I see that. It's a light green plant against a green background and I'm looking for a green (out)line? Tough to tell. But some of these older lenses will exhibit green or purple fringing in OOF areas.

As you already did, of course you should buy it. Especially if you can make a profit if it does not get used. I think there are 2 types of LBA
1) buying lenses just to increase the size of the camera bag and your signature line but you don't really use them.
2) buying up to a better lens that you use, that replaces another that you will sell to offset the costs. Thus increasing the quality of the camera bag instead of the quantity.

So if you liked the 85mm FL and the Tak is better, then you sell the Vivitar, that's really not a serious LBA issue.
look closer around the silver plant. this is not CA
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have resisted LBA quite a bit by restricting my purchases to things that are wider, lonter or faster than I already have. With Zooms from 28 to 200mm at F2.8, this does not leave a lot of room.

I already have a vivitar 85mm F1.4, so if you happened onto a 85mm F1.9 super - tak for about 40% less than what they sell for on E-bay, what would you do?

I'd get it Then again I think i'm addicted to the Super Tak 85s
Here's another question, if you have 2 of them are you being greedy not passing them on?
10-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

thank you for that information Lowell. I'm excited about the 85 coming in next week. I have my hopes high especially when the lens behaves differently on different cameras. this could be a + or minus, but I'm hoping it would be a plus. especially now that I'm planning to use it exclusively as a specialty lens at constant f1.4 fixture. I know that it is already very nice at wide open, I'm just hoping that the lens' potential would be raised much higher with the K-7.

if I want my subject to be isolated and use a wide opening of 1.4, this lens would definitely be suffice. but I do admit that having the DA 70 LTD, a pretty tempting combo. I'm dismissing the FA 77 due to the fact that I won't be needing the extra speed and longer range. atleast the DA70 could give me a bit of 15mm space off the 85mm. not to mention that the DA70 is much affordable and it's sharpness is already near to that of what the 77 can produce.