Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Element replacement costs

Hi all,

Yesterday I took my equipment out to clean ahead of an event I was attending and was horrified to find that the 2nd element (from the front of the lens) had a chip in it. How I managed to chip the 2nd element is beyond me.

Anyways, the lens is a Sigma 170-500mm. I thought I had this lens listed on my insurance but it appears this is not the case.

Has anyone had similar experiences with this and any ideas what it cost you?

Ta
John

10-31-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm thinking I'd forget about it and go out and take some pictures. It's not likely going to affect anything.
10-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Do you think? Its about the size of a little finger nail.
10-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

It's hard to imagine you did chip an internal element, unless you've had it apart before for cleaning or something? Is it possible it was like this when you purchased it? Still under warranty?

10-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the chip still floating around inside the lens? I could see that being a cause for concern if there is a chance the chip could scratch something or jam a moving part.

If the damage is towards the edge then Wheatfield is likely correct in thinking that it won't affect image quality. It wouldn't hurt to contact Sigma for a repair quote, especially if the lens is under warranty.
10-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies people. I just took the lens out for some shots to see if it has any effect.

The lens is not under warranty an there is a little bit of glass floating around.

I think I will see what it is worth to fix. If the chip does not have an effect and the repairs are to much, I will have the floating bit of glass removed and just keep using it.

I dont know how this occurred, I have never pulled the lens apart etc.

I will let you know.
11-01-2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Moose Quote
Thanks for the replies people. I just took the lens out for some shots to see if it has any effect.

The lens is not under warranty an there is a little bit of glass floating around.

I think I will see what it is worth to fix. If the chip does not have an effect and the repairs are to much, I will have the floating bit of glass removed and just keep using it.

I dont know how this occurred, I have never pulled the lens apart etc.

I will let you know.
Like Wheatfield said; you may not have any problems. Take some pics and post them here and we will help you see if it has any effect on your images.