Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
85mm F1.9 super takumar - first impressions

first impressions with my new old toy which I picked up yesterday.

Went for a walk today in a local river valley, and took the super tak in place of my typical long lens for birds.

Overall, the performance of the lens is very good, and has much different bokeh than my vivitar 85mm F1.4.

The difference really between the two seems to be that the vivitar has no real out of focus detail at all, but things just fade into a blurr of color. The super tak seems to have defineable shapes in the out of focus areas.

I suspect this is due to the aperture blades, which on the super tak, the 6 blade aperture becomes hexagonal almost instantly, where as the 8 blade aperture of the vivitar appears to retain the circular shape while stopped down, to at least aboput F8.

the other noticible difference between the vivitar and the super tak is the focusing. The vivitar has a respectible 120 degree focus throw, but the super tak has a 330 degree focusing throw from min focus to infinity.

While I am sure focusing accuracy with the super tak will be more precise, it is going to take some getting used to. It will definitely be slower to work with if changing focus range.

The metering, like my SMC Tak 35 F2 it requires an offset of about 1 stop (over sxpose) when in AV mode.

I have attached a couple of shots, the first 2 from my walk resized only mainly to show bokeh. the last is a 50% crop out of a k10d image, hand held at 1/25 wide open to show sharpness

Attached Images

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 11-02-2009 at 06:31 AM.
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the Vivitar due to it's wider opening is more capable of isolating your subject, which should be for a lens with a f1.4 opening. what I can only assume is that the Super Tak would be better at slower aperture speed. maybe around f8. the 77mm however peaks at around f4 way better than the vivitar. but of course we are talking about a stop advantage here and exclusive use at that aperture opening. but for overall use, I would get the DA70 instead of the FA77.
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
we are really talking about apples and oranges between the Super Tak and the vivitar.

Not just the additional stop (almost) but also in the lens design.

The super tak is a classical lens design where the entire lens group is moved to focus.

The Vivitar focuses by moving the rear group, and not the front element at all.

I fully intend to compare the two in more detail, but first impression is that at about F2-2.2 both are about equal in sharpness, but quite different in bokeh.
03-24-2010, 04:20 AM   #4

hi

nice picx here and great use of a great lens too!

i'm also looking for a Pentax 85mm (SMC or older Takumar or similar) lens albeit one that comes with an extra soft-focus controller ring, which makes it different from other lenses as this one must then have 3 rings instead of 2:

1. aperture

2. focus

3. softness / sharpness control

anyone knows this particular model intended mainly for portrait photography? never seen or used one myself but saw a nice picture taken with it in an old Pentax lens catalog.

thx for any info.

03-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I believe you are looking at the M85 Soft focus lens.

but really with today's post processing that not really necessary.

you can also purchase soft focus rings, which block out a portion of the lens front with glass that you can smear with vasoline to make blury away from the center,

again, just a gimick in my opinion.

I would go for anything fast in this range and use the wide open performance to isolate the subject
03-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
hi

nice picx here and great use of a great lens too!

i'm also looking for a Pentax 85mm (SMC or older Takumar or similar) lens albeit one that comes with an extra soft-focus controller ring, which makes it different from other lenses as this one must then have 3 rings instead of 2:

1. aperture

2. focus

3. softness / sharpness control

anyone knows this particular model intended mainly for portrait photography? never seen or used one myself but saw a nice picture taken with it in an old Pentax lens catalog.

thx for any info.
The only soft focus lenses that I'm aware Pentax made are the F and FA 85mm f2.8 soft focus lenses that were the same optically. There is one on fleabay at the moment.

PENTAX 85mm SMCP-F 85mm f/2.8 SOFT LENS - REFURBISHED - eBay (item 310205506162 end time Apr-07-10 12:13:26 PDT)

They turn up from time to time. I see about 4 of them a year in various places. There was also a K 85mm f2.2 soft focus that was very different optically from the F and FA. I don't know of any soft focus Taks even in prototype.
03-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The only soft focus lenses that I'm aware Pentax made are the F and FA 85mm f2.8 soft focus lenses that were the same optically. There is one on fleabay at the moment.

PENTAX 85mm SMCP-F 85mm f/2.8 SOFT LENS - REFURBISHED - eBay (item 310205506162 end time Apr-07-10 12:13:26 PDT)

They turn up from time to time. I see about 4 of them a year in various places. There was also a K 85mm f2.2 soft focus that was very different optically from the F and FA. I don't know of any soft focus Taks even in prototype.
hi Blue

you must be right Blue as i did finally find the SMC lens you're talking about here, near the very bottom of the page:

Early Pentax Takumar Lenses

ages past those soft focus times, and now the soft memory!

i ought to look up the other two lenses you're talking about in here though ...

thx for the kind reply with good info.

Last edited by penties rider; 03-25-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: incomplete info!
03-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you can also purchase soft focus rings, which block out a portion of the lens front with glass that you can smear with vasoline to make blury away from the center,
Ah, the old trick was nose- and ear-grease (exterior, not interior) smeared around the outside of a skylight filter. There's plenty of that available, for free, when you're working under lights. It's also useful for touching-up larger negatives when printing.

03-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

lowell would it be possible to see the same subject from the same spot with the Super Tak and the Vivitar wide open and f2.8?
I see one copy of the Super Tak 85/1.9 available... and I've been looking for 85mm lens for a while. Price difference? I can get the Tak for 100 less than new Vivitar (Samyang) here in UK...

many thanks

Peter
03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
axl

I will try, but I think I may wait until spring, with flowers.

WHat I can tell you so far is that both lenses seem to be equally sharp but that the supertak F1.9 has some degree of longitudinal CA, where out of focus behind the focus plane has a halo in green surrounding the detail, but that there is not much lateral CA (Green one side and purple the other)

The super tak is not as fast to focus, with a full 330 degree focusing collar, vs about 120 degrees on the vivitar

The vivitar focuses closer I think, just a little. but the super tak is a lot smaller.

I got the vivitar because I gave up waiting for a nice copy of the older pentax lenses to show up, and it has some other benefits, specifically that it is a KA mount so full auto controls through the camera body.

I got the super tak because it became available at about 40% less than what they sell for on E-Bay, and it came at a point where I was deciding whether or not to build an M42 kit. I already, but that time had a helios 58mmF2, anSMC tak 35F2 and a vivitar 28mm F2.5. So I jumped at the lens, and am quite happy with it. Essentually, It avoids removing the screw mount adaptor to change focal lengths.

As far as I am concerned, Either 85 will do a great job, and I use either one interchangeably. I have shot quite a few things at F1.4 with the vivitar, and the extra degree of isolation at F1.4 is really something.

see below;

note the out of focus highlights are very soft, not hard circles as in other shots with the takumars.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 03-26-2010 at 01:07 PM.
03-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
axl lowell would it be possible to see the same subject from the same spot with the Super Tak and the Vivitar wide open and f2.8?
I see one copy of the Super Tak 85/1.9 available... and I've been looking for 85mm lens for a while. Price difference? I can get the Tak for 100 less than new Vivitar (Samyang) here in UK...

many thanks

Peter
Peter:

Here is a shot with my Auto Takumar 85mm f 1.8-- Wide Open

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 05-03-2010 at 07:53 PM.
03-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah, the old trick was nose- and ear-grease (exterior, not interior) smeared around the outside of a skylight filter. There's plenty of that available, for free, when you're working under lights. It's also useful for touching-up larger negatives when printing.
Dang, yeah I remember that trick, to get rid of scratches on the negative =)
03-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
axl lowell would it be possible to see the same subject from the same spot with the Super Tak and the Vivitar wide open and f2.8?

many thanks

Peter
1) Auto Takumar 85mm 1.8 @ f2.8

2) Auto tak 85mm @ f8

3) Auto Tak 85mm-- %100 crop (or dam close) of shot 2

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 05-03-2010 at 07:53 PM.
03-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

thanks guys...
unfortunately the 85 mm dream must wait for now... I found K50/1.2 for decent price and didn't resist