Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #1

AF in DA 12-24mm. Is this normal?

Hello.

My DA 12-24 jarrived just 2 days ago and I went to take some landscape shoots to try it.
I found that this lens is very sharp, even at f4, so I'm very happy in this respect.

But the problem I see is with its AF. It hunts a lot, even in a perfectly strong mid-morning light it can take two-three seconds or more in find a focus, specially when I try to focus to infinity or to an object farther than 4 or 5 meters away. I have a K10d, three DA, one FA and a DA*, and none of them seems to have an AF that performs that bad.

Anyone has a similar experience? Is this normal or should I return the lens as soon as possible?

Thanks in advance.
Turo.

11-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
did you put some filter on the lens? as far as I know, the K10D seems to hunt more as compared to the K20D/K-7. it maybe the K10D's focusing ability rather than the lens. if it would help, try your lens with another camera body aside from the K10D just to validate your findings.

btw, I have the DA12-24 and I tried shooting it indoors with the K-7 under tungsten lighting and it focused practically as fast as my faster lens.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 11-03-2009 at 01:14 PM.
11-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
as far as I know, the K10D seems to hunt more as compared to the K20D/K-7
yes its true with k10 and wide angle lens you'v got beeeeg hunting, it was main improvement at k20...
11-03-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For what it is worth, on K100D the lens focuses fast.

Cheers. Mike.

11-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem is not with the lens but the camera body.
11-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have attached to the lens a B+W UV filter, but I have tried focusing without the filter and the result is the same.

Creampuff, so you do think that is normal that the body hunts a lot when focuses to infinity in daylight?
AF works fine in my DA 21 and 40 Ltd. my FA 50 1.4 and my DA* 16-50... but who knows.
I prefer to keep the lens as sending it to be serviced is time consuming and the pictures it produces are simply stunning.

I will try the lens in other camera if I have the chance.

Thanks to all for your help.