Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
specific question about kit lens II vs. DA 16-45mm

I've tried two copies of Tamron 17-50mm, and both had front focusing. (Maybe it's my K200D's sluggish AF, I don't know, but with other lenses, including fast primes, the AF is spot on.) Anyway, besides being much-much sharper than the DA 18-55mm AL II, the Tamron had what I believe people call "a prime quality": unlike the kit lens II, it gave a 'spatial' impression. As another poster (F-Stop) said in this thread, the Tamron yields images with "more depth/three dimensional appearance."

My question is: does the DA 16-45mm give such a "depth/three dimensional appearance"? This might be an effect of the lens's sharpness--but I'm not interested in sharpness per se. DxO-processed, the kit II is sharp enough for me. I know this is subjective, but without the 'three dimensional appearance' pictures--especially landscapes--seem to be impoverished.

Thank you.

11-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
it is quite subjective but in a way, sharper images do affect display a 3D rendering effect. but mind you that some lenses, that no matter how sharp they are, appear flat. if you had the chance to compare the 16-45 and the MKII lens, you would see by how much degree you are missing in the sharpness department. just to make it clear what I meant by that, let's say that the 16-45 lens is a 9, the 18-55 II is a 7.5. now that is a huge difference.
11-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

3D ness is a factor of depth of field

as such, any F2.8 lens is going to be more 3D than a F4 or F5.6 lens..
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
3D ness is a factor of depth of field

as such, any F2.8 lens is going to be more 3D than a F4 or F5.6 lens..
It makes sense...

11-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

DOF does contribute to spatial clarity in an image produced by a lens but it's not the only factor. It's interesting to compare shots from different lenses that were all stopped down to a selected small aperture such as F16.

The real problem with comparing camera lenses is it's nearly impossible for a person to compare many lenses and observe the results obtained by them. Based on what I've seen, though, it's my opinion that lenses that are more expensive and that usually have more glass elements as opposed to plastic, more highly polished element surfaces as opposed to hybridized cemented surfaces, and better quality of glass in those elements tend to produce images with better clarity and a more pronounced 3D feel to them.